Attachments

• 14o(3) '88 tour.png
    14o(3) '88 tour.png
    137.6 KB · Views: 286
  • smith_100.jpg
    smith_100.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:

So I just watched this performance, what Strat is Dave using for Phantom of the Opera (starts around the 5:20 mark) and Iron Maiden? Don't think it's been mentioned here before. Hard to tell but it looks like a dark red or brown burst finish, a metallic pickguard - possibly aluminium? - and a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge. Also... pickup rings with a pickguard? Never seen that before!

So I just watched this performance, what Strat is Dave using for Phantom of the Opera and Iron Maiden? Don't think it's been mentioned here before. Hard to tell but it looks like a dark red or brown burst finish, a metallic pickguard - possibly aluminium? - and a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge. Also... pickup rings with a pickguard? Never seen that before!
It's a black CBS-era Strat. And yes, it's a DiMarzio X2N.

Adrian's Deluxe also had soapbar humbuckers at that time.

That was fast, thanks. I've also just remembered Dave's signature Strat has pickup rings with the pickguard. What a plank :facepalm:

There's another curious bit I've noticed regarding Davey's guitars in that video - his main Strat has the bridge humbucker on slightly slanted, just like a regular Strat's single coil would be. Looks kind of odd if you ask me.

There's another curious bit I've noticed regarding Davey's guitars in that video - his main Strat has the bridge humbucker on slightly slanted, just like a regular Strat's single coil would be. Looks kind of odd if you ask me.

I think that's because DiMarzio didn't do F-Spaced humbuckers at that time (or Dave couldn't get his hands on one). Fender spacing is a bit bigger than Gibson's, so Dave, EVH and others compensated that with slanting the pickup.

Also, Dave's Kossoff Strat had a black pickguard at first (probably a replacement, because he didn't want to route the original. It was also olympic white . Dave repainted it and put humbcukers on it. It's possible that the mounting rings were used to cover the slanted humbucker hole in the pickguard.

Here is the guitar before the customisation.
maxresdefault.jpg

Also, Dave/Kossoff strat is a partcaster (body is 63, I believe).

So, I think that it's entirely possible that the guitar was one of the 6 Strats Eric Clapton bought in the 60's. He assembled Blackie for himself from 3 of those (he took his favourite neck, body and pickups from different ones). He gave the other 3 to Winwood, Harrison and Townshend. He did quite a few guitar trades with Paul in late 60's, so I think it's possible that this Strat was a gift from Clapton and it could very well be one of the two reassembled from the leftovers of Blackie.

Ok, #2 Sunburst Strat (the one that was Adrian's main guitar on Early Days tour) is now the hotel room guitar.

A playback performance of Wasted Years back in '86 (not like in the German TV show though :lol:). Adrian uses a real rare guitar, Dave and Steve also...

The checkered bass of Steves has always been one of my favourites, I'd love to have something with that pattern.

ac690de6ed538ec70e38aa471482a760.jpg

H is using his Lado strat and Dave is using the Martin Barre strat.

I think, Dave uses this sunburst Strat a lot over the years, but the Adrian's Lado Strat with a maple neck is so awesome - I have never seen him to use this guitar !

I think, Dave uses this sunburst Strat a lot over the years, but the Adrian's Lado Strat with a maple neck is so awesome - I have never seen him to use this guitar !

This sunburst Strat is the Martin Barre Strat, that was used by Adrian on TBOS.

This sunburst Strat is the Martin Barre Strat, that was used by Adrian on TBOS.

I meant that he has similar guitars to this one through the years. Like the sunburst Strat on the Dortmund concert '83, sunburst Strat during 22AA in RAR 2003 and his signature Strat that he uses from 2003 onwards.

I quoted your post here, since I believe it's more appropriate to discuss it in this thread.

According to some Google research, the post '90 LPs Custom have 490R/498T pickups, so if H's Custom is not made prior to '90, we should talk about the 498T for its sound. I am more curious on the pickups of his Standard - is it possible to have a SD in the bridge like he did with the Goldtop?

Last edited:
I quoted your post here, since I believe it's more appropriate to discuss it in this thread.

According to some Google research, the post '90 LPs Custom have 490R/498T pickups, so if H's Custom is not made prior to '90, we should talk about the 498T for its sound. I am more curious on the pickups of his Standard - is it possible to have a SD in the bridge like he did with the Goldtop?
Spoilers man.

Standard is probably Burstbucker.

Back