I think they are going to retire when the first of them can't play at the same level anymore. I really can't see anyone being replaced by anyone at this point. Having said that, I bet Nicko is the one who's going to retire first in approximately 5 years, which means we have 2 more world tours. Enjoy while it lasts, guys. It's incredible they are still around and playing at this level! Enjoy.

I think this should be viewed from different perspectives...

If you look their chemistry, as a group people co-existing with each other (in studio, on tour), none of them could be replaceble. For example, it looks like Nicko being the drummer would be the easiest to replace, but overall looking it would represent deep void in a way that the band funcions together (considering his character and his impact on the band).

From a studio perspective, any of them could be replaceble, as they were in the past. Altgought, in last 15 years Bruce, Steve and Janick are irreplaceble IMO. Considering Book of Souls, Adrian and Nicko really kicked up a notch, so I guess they stay in, as well. Which leaves Dave, as I've noticed for some time now. I just don't see his contributions on a record in a long time.

Gig-wise, Bruce and Steve are irreplacible. Since I love note-to-note playing (as it were in studio) Adrian also stays. And Dave. Which leaves Nicko (who I can not see the whole gig) and Janick (his theatrics were awesome to me, some 10 years ago, now I just wish for him to focus more on playing, less on dancing).

Overall in theory, it looks like only Bruce and Steve are irreplaceble. Of course in real life, if they replace even Michael Kenney, I would start preaching like it's the end of time.

If Bruce leaves, the band loses profile.
If Steve leaves, the band loses leadership.
If Adrian leaves, the band loses precision.
If Janick leaves, the band loses spontaniety.
If Dave leaves, the band loses fluidity.
If Nicko leaves, the band loses humour.

As it stands currently, no one is easily replacable, since Maiden is a perfect mix of those things.

Last edited:
If Bruce leaves, the band looses profile.
If Steve leaves, the band looses leadership.
If Adrian leaves, the band looses precision.
If Janick leaves, the band looses spontaniety.
If Dave leaves, the band looses fluidity.
If Nicko leaves, the band looses humour.

As it stands currently, no one is easily replacable, since Maiden is a perfect mix of those things.
Lose the extra "o" and I agree with you! ;)

Dave seems the most tired of them all. He's also been around the longest excluding Steve of course. He's played every Maiden song written which is truly something the others haven't done. In spite of this, his songs tend to somehow always get booted from tours. After Peace of Mind, his songs never made the cut for multiple tours... I'd be mad as a songwriter to make songs, that are great and then have them never played live. Why write a song you only play for the record then never do it again? No Deja Vu? No Fates Warning? No Thin Line Between Love and Hate? He rarely contributes and his contributions seemed ignored. I would almost see Dave stepping down. Janick still jumps around and the way Steve looks down on Adrian from my observations at concerts, I can't tell if he's fvcking with him or generally critical of him. Nicko has to be tired and I'm sure Bruce is too. Maiden has and always will be Steve's band. There will be no Maiden without Steve, mark my words on that. No Maiden without Bruce at this point either. I would likely see Dave as a departure, Bruce may go out with medical complications and Adrian may go down from just being tired. I really don't want any of them to go.

Last edited:
The only two members that could be replaced are Dave and Nicko. But replacing one of them would lead to some issues. Nicko was always the glue between Steve and Bruce. I don't think his departure would do any good on this relation. As for Dave he was always the signature guitar sound of IM. Also he plays almost all of the third or fifth harmonies during melodic parts. This year was the first time I've seen Jan and H playing some harmonies during
Death Or Glory
all the previous times were octaves or unison.

P.S. H has bought a 5 room rehearsal/recording facility last year, so I don't see him backing from music.

I posted a warning in the thread title until the spoiler's removed by its poster.

SirRobbins probably deserves a little slack because it's likely an honest mistake.

It honestly didn't even cross my mind when I typed it. I am rather curious why it's so sensitive when the band released their set list for the world to see and said they would not change it. It seems a little aggressive but in my case, I did not even think about it when I typed it. I just removed it. I understand when the band doesn't do this with a set list but it is all over the internet. The one exception would be people who don't want to know. If anyone reading this is among them, I apologize considerably about it. It was not meant to come out that way

Thanks for your apology.

I'd like to add that we are a bunch of individuals and not all of us consider all actions by Iron Maiden to be right. What do they think?
That we're all babies who need to know everything in advance? No way, it takes away the surprise, thus a deal of the fun.

Thanks for your apology.

I'd like to add that we are a bunch of individuals and not all of us consider all actions by Iron Maiden to be right. What do they think?
That we're all babies who need to know everything in advance? No way, it takes away the surprise, thus a deal of the fun.

I found it odd that they did it to begin with. They haven't done it before and I didn't know they did it until I saw their facebook page and I thought... "what the?

As far as song writing goes, based on how great Bruce's last 3 solo albums are as well as the 2 Bruce written songs on TBOS, the band could actually afford to lose Steve and still be able to come up really strong material. However, that would most likely upset a lot of Maiden's fan base and hurt their popularity. So, the only losses that wouldn't hurt them much would be Janick or Dave and maybe Nicko.

If Bruce leaves, the band loses profile.
If Steve leaves, the band loses leadership.
If Adrian leaves, the band loses precision.
If Janick leaves, the band loses spontaniety.
If Dave leaves, the band loses fluidity.
If Nicko leaves, the band loses humour.

Well put! Technically, there are a million musicians out there who are faster, "better" etc, but like Dave said in an interview once (about his telepathic companionship with H): "You can put the two best guitarists in the whole world in the same band, and it' still not going to work, because you have to have that special chemistry. Adrian and I had (have) that."

And that's what's it's about for me. The chemistry between the guys, all the fun they have, all the great music they create and the perfomances they give us. Surely, Janick gives us quite a few hit-and-miss moments live, Bruce's voice sounds somewhat strained (yet remarkably good for someone his age), a lot of people have commented on Nicko's drumming over the last few years, several slip-ups etc. We can point out lots of stuff like that. But personally,I don't want them to be perfect. Dave's incredible smoothness, feel for melody and fluidity, Adrian's tasty, melodic approach etc, BRuce's interaction with the crowd - Harris' fighting face, mouthing every word to every song as if the world ended tomorrow; that's what does it for me.

As far as song writing goes, based on how great Bruce's last 3 solo albums are as well as the 2 Bruce written songs on TBOS, the band could actually afford to lose Steve and still be able to come up really strong material. However, that would most likely upset a lot of Maiden's fan base and hurt their popularity.
Most Likely is an understatement.

Back