2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia (Maidenfans WC Pool inside)

Thanks Ariana. I see why we should stop this now but it was hard to prevent reacting to it all. Balkan war happened. Switzerland/Kosovo-Serbia happened. And we happen on the forum with our own individual points of view and justice.

2-0 Mexico!

A Mexican win here puts a lot of pressure on Germany. If they draw against Sweden tonight, Sweden can go through with a draw against Mexico ...

55113424.jpg

Nice counter attack.

Albanian nationalism is currently one of the biggest threats to security in the western Balkans. Just ask the Macedonians, who have Albanian partisans roaming their countryside. This is why we shouldn't shrug a gesture like this off as "understandable", regardless of what the Serbians did 20 years ago. If a Swiss(!!!) player makes an eagle gesture, organisations such as ONA or UÇÇ may see this as an invitation to fire bullets in the name of said eagle.

Just to be clear: The aim of these nationalists is not to have Kosovo internationally recognised or to have minority rights for Albanians in Northern Macedonia or Greece, but have a Great Albania that is only for Albanians, at the expense of any other ethnicities living there, by military means if need be. These guys are Albanian Nazis, and they will draw a lot of legitimacy, strength and support from a gesture a Swiss player made against one of their sworn enemies. That's why we shouldn't downplay or accept what is happening here. I'm not saying Xhaka and Shaqiri are of their ranks or supporting their goals, but I am saying they are helping them out here a lot.

Perun.
I think you put these 20 years too easily aside. Xhaka, for instance, is still very affected by that. He was not born then but his parents were and he is still very much affected and driven by what they went through. So, despite the actual problems, for some of the players, the earlier history matters. Not saying the eagle was a good thing to do but let's not forget the cause. It is a complex and sensitive matter for these guys as well. Sport can erouse emotions that are less complex and more blunt. We will see if and if yes how they will be punisished.

On the actual problems. Serbia not recognizing Kosovo is a big part of the problem. And Serbian nationalism in Kosovo as well.

This result puts a lot of pressure on Germany. If they don't win, Sweden will go through with a draw against Mexico. That is, Die Mannschaft must win.

If ze Germans do win, we're in for a very interesting final day of this group.

Foro,

I'm aware of the history between Albanians and Serbs. I'm trying to put something else into the equation which has not been regarded sufficiently.

Back