2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia (Maidenfans WC Pool inside)

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
Last edited:
England squad:

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Everton), Jack Butland (Stoke), Nick Pope (Burnley)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Kieran Trippier, Danny Rose (both Tottenham), Harry Maguire (Leicester), Phil Jones (Man Utd), John Stones, Kyle Walker (both Man City), Gary Cahill (Chelsea)

Midfielder: Jordan Henderson, (Liverpool), Eric Dier, Dele Alli (both Tottenham), Jesse Lingard, Ashley Young (both Man Utd), Fabian Delph (Man City), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea),

Forwards: Raheem Sterling (Man City), Jamie Vardy (Leicester), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

Really poor. A donkey like Welbeck is in the squad. He's a striker who at 27 years of age never scored more than 9 league goals in one season.

I hope that England has picked players who will play a strong team game, rather than playing as individuals.

This whole England squad looks pretty weak to me besides Dele Alli.

Germanys nominations are quite pleasing, but I know already Leroy Sane won't get no starting job on the left side for whatever reason

I don't understand why England cannot have a decent goalkeeper. I can't remember the last time when they were really strong on this position.

Analysis:

Pickford - Conceded 58 goals in 38 games for Everton.
Butland - Conceded 61 goals in 35 games for Stoke and got relegated.
Pope - Started the season as backup for Tom Heaton at Burnley, conceded 35 goals in 35 games, but 12 clean sheets.

Alexander-Arnold - Played a lot at Liverpool due to Clyne missing the entire season, but a bit too young for the team to rely on him.
Trippier - First season as a starter at Tottenham.
Rose - Talked shit about Tottenham in pre-season and was also injured a lot, so only played 17 games this season. But he's the only true left back in the team.
Maguire - One of only 5 outfield players to play all minutes in EPL this season for Leicester, but they conceded 60 goals in the league. Got relegated in the previous one with Hull.
Jones - Was good when he played for Man Utd this season, but again, missed all CL matches through injury and 15 games in the league.
Stones - Won the league with City but only played 18 league games because of injuries.
Walker - Won the league at City as a starting right back, but Southgate wants to play him at right center back in a back three :facepalm:
Cahill - Played a lot for Chelsea but didn't do to good, lots of calls for him to be benched and demoted as captain. Still, won the league twice as a starter and is the oldest and most experienced defender in the team.

Henderson - Limited player but did play a lot for Liverpool this season and it's not like there's many better midfield players that can be picked for England.
Dier - No competition for him for the defensive midfield spot and also a decent center back. Should play all minutes.
Alli - Weaker season for him, but should probably start depending on the formation. I'm not sure if he can be trusted to not do something stupid though.
Lingard - His best season so far, it'll be between him and Alli for the starting spot.
Young - Jack of all trades who played winger/full back on both sides in all formations this season, but mostly as left back. Can cross with both feet, can dribble well, I'd start him as wing back.
Delph - Like Young, ex-Aston Villa midfielder converted to left back. Did well and can also play midfield so an understandable selection.
Loftus Cheek - Strong player who can cover most midfield positions. His first season as a starter, but he missed 1/3 of the games. I would've picked Wilshere over him tbh, but apparently Wilshere was snubbed because "his fitness wouldn't be good enough for pressing".

Sterling - Won the league with City, and probably the only one in the team apart from Kane who can be considered world-class. Should start, might be rotated with Rashford.
Vardy - Should be a super sub on the counter, struggles with possession based style since he can't run behind the defence.
Kane - Will play all minutes, should be captain. England's best player. Just don't put him on corners and free kicks like that stupid owl faced bastard.
Rashford - Can play anywhere in attack, should be a super sub to torture tired defences.
Welbeck - Useless donkey. I would've taken Andy Carroll or Glenn Murray instead. Proper Brexit players who are mediocre but at least can hit a goal once in a while and have at least one aspect of the game in which they are good at.

Starting lineup prob gonna be something like:
Pickford
Walker Jones Cahill
Trippier Henderson Dier Alli Young
Sterling Kane

Walker - Won the league at City as a starting right back, but Southgate wants to play him at right center back in a back three :facepalm:

In fairness Pep did use Kyle Walker as the right center back in a back three plenty of times this season.

Loftus Cheek - Strong player who can cover most midfield positions. His first season as a starter, but he missed 1/3 of the games. I would've picked Wilshere over him tbh, but apparently Wilshere was snubbed because "his fitness wouldn't be good enough for pressing".

I agree that Wilshere would've been a better choice. He had a fine season with Arsenal and has potential to change the course of a game.

Welbeck - Useless donkey. I would've taken Andy Carroll or Glenn Murray instead. Proper Brexit players who are mediocre but at least can hit a goal once in a while and have at least one aspect of the game in which they are good at.

Agreed that he's a donkey. I was convinced that he was engaged in a romantic affair with Arsene Wenger by the end of the season.

hope that England has picked players who will play a strong team game, rather than playing as individuals.

They won't be great either way. Looks like a second round exit to me.

I see this has very, very quickly become the England World Cup squad thread.

I hope Harry Kane takes corners again.

A yes. World Cup. Thanks for reminding me. I would never expect myself to say it but it feels as some minor summer event this time. *yawn*

I guess I'll watch it but it truly hasn't been on my mind.

I hope none-European/South American countries will do well.

DdatV9TVMAAh_wD.jpg:large

Martial, Lacazette, Laporte, Coman and Rabiot didn't make it.

Only one right footed attacker.

Lloris
Sidibe Varane Umtiti Mendy
Kante Pogba
Mbappe Griezmann Lemar
Giroud

Is what I expect them to play. Maybe Lucas as left back because Mendy was injured for a long time.

Obummeryoung was born in France, what could've been... You could probably set up a pretty good team made out of players born in France who play for other countries.

And several countries could've had great players who chose to play for France instead. Zidane and Nasri could've played for Algeria. :eek:

Back