2011-12 Survivor rules and information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Habberdasher said:
The Beatles would work quite well. Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, the White Album and Abbey Road are solid throughout, it's only the first couple that are "singles" albums.

It seems no one likes Primus or Faith No More?
I think I'd do a Primus. Maybe Faith No More.

I'd definitely play Symphony X. Probably not Testament.

I'd do a Testament if we held it.

One short Survivor would be for Exciter we could do like their first four albums.

Good stuff. There is a slight problem with playing a Testament survivor though: in my opinion they've never made a bad album and I can't think of a single bad song. This would make voting very hard! :eek:

Guys, the new forum will require changes to the games. The first challenge is for me to find a way to finish the existing games with the new system, and then I'll devise new rules. Talk of new bands like Testament will have to wait a bit.

Guys, the new forum will require changes to the games. The first challenge is for me to find a way to finish the existing games with the new system, and then I'll devise new rules. Talk of new bands like Testament will have to wait a bit.
I take this as meaning it's not my fault I can't edit the World Cup of Maidenfans poll?
Should I just wait and follow your lead once you figure something out?

Should I just wait and follow your lead once you figure something out?

Yes, since it seems only mods can edit polls, you're going to have to. :D

Seriously: let's take a tour of the new poll system.

Polls cannot be reset to zero votes. This kills most of our games, because everyone I've talked to agrees that we don't want a new thread for every round. All our games must be re-designed to allow fewer rounds. While I haven't worked out all the details yet, my Survivors will be changing to one new thread per album, and that will be one thread per week.

Number of votes, you have two choices: one vote, or unlimited votes. You can no longer specify 2 or 3 votes; it's one or all.

Polls can still be set to expire after a certain number of days, or closed entirely. And of course we can change the poll options (but not the number of votes for each slot).

So, game-runners: think about some rule adjustments for your games, and we'll get them moving again after Xmas.

Can't the new poll system be tweaked to be more like the old (but with more freedom for non-mod poll starters too) system?

Adjustments to the poll system would require work by Jon, and possibly quite a lot of work. So the best idea might be:
a. For now, while Jon is working on more important matters, we use what we've got.
b. As time goes on, we can discuss what features we'd like, and give Jon a wishlist when he's got time for it.

Survivors are, until further notice, dead in the water. I have found that new polls created here allow a maximum of ten options. Under the new system, I see no way to finish the games except by creating a new thread for every round, and I don't want to see our forum full of that. Members of Dream Theater Forums (where I stole the Survivor game from) know what I mean - they have a new thread for every round, and their forum is a horrible mess for it.

Therefore, let us give due praise to Metropolis for its second victory in Dream Theater Survivor, and I feel safe in assuming that Paschendale easily beats Hallowed in the Maiden Final Battle this year. :bigsmile:

I leave it to you to argue about Queen, since my favorite is already dead there, and I unreasonably and arbitrarily declare that The Ripper wins Priest. :cool:

I intend to devise a new game that works with our new forum. I suggest all game-runners do the same: adjust your format so that it requires no more than one new thread per week, and works with a maximum ten options.

Despite Bohemian Rhapsody being my favorite, it fought a hard battle until losing at number 3. The final battle was Death on Two Legs and Innuendo.

Innuendo won with 7 votes.

That is what happened.

Innuendo kills everything, It's Late, White Man and The Prophet's Song are resurrected and all make it to the top ten, You're My Best Friend dies before it even reaches the top ten. And Beyond The Realms Of Death wins Priest survivor.

This is what really happened.

Hallowed won Maiden Survivor, Painkiller won Priest Survivor, Bohemian Rhapsody won Queen Survivor.

SMX, can't you create a new thread for every round, but merge the threads once we're done with them ? I guess it would prevent the board from being a mess.

Yes, but frankly it's more work than it's worth. Maintaining these games, while often fun, is already much work; I prefer ideas that don't make the job harder than it already was.

I also prefer solutions that can be used by non-mods. I don't want games that constantly require mod intervention to keep going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back