2011-12 Survivor rules and information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alice Cooper is another well known artist with simply far too big a catalogue, and the well known songs are spread across a lot of albums.

Hmm, trying to think of what sort of thing might work with this particular crowd, with enough material to make a decent length survivor without having too many utterly obscure tracks...

GnR, Scorpions, Dio, AC/DC, Van Halen.

I think they fit the criteria but it depends how much people listen to them here, Aerosmith is borderline for same reasons as Alice Cooper. Motley Crue have a decent catalogue but I don't think will be overly listened to.

SinisterMinisterX said:
The problem with Yes, Tull and Kiss (and the Beatles, who I've considered too) is that there's a few very famous albums, but most of the discog is only of interest to deep fans. I don't think Yes and Tull have many deep fans here, but I may be wrong about Yes at least.

True, it's hard to find bands where every single album is well known by everyone. But with Yes and Tull, over half their albums are obscure.

Kiss and the Beatles will fare better here, but there are well over 200 songs for each. They're on the sidelines for the moment.
I will do Yes for every album. Same with KISS and most of the Beatles. I might have to sit out of the earlier albums.

mtmccox said:
Hendrix maybe? It'd be short at least  :innocent:

Done last year. Only got 3 voters a round most of the time.

If I was going to tackle a late 60s band with a short discog, it'd be Cream.
Crimson Idol said:

Did it last year, but could be repeated.

Crimson Idol said:
Scorpions

Only about a third of their albums are well-known, even though most of them are great. I've considered them before and rejected them. Unless a lot of Scorps fans petition, no.

Crimson Idol said:

Did it last year, but see below.

Crimson Idol said:

Did it last year, could be repeated, but not before...

Crimson Idol said:
Van Halen

... which has already been announced as up next.

SinisterMinisterX said:
... the schedule (subject to change).

Now: Iron Maiden III, Dream Theater II, Judas Priest II, Queen
Next: Bruce Dickinson III, Van Halen, Foo Fighters, Ronnie James Dio

Then...
Metallica III, Megadeth III, Slayer II, Anthrax
Pink Floyd II, Rush III, Opeth, Yes
Black Sabbath III, Thin Lizzy, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth II

The Dio survivor will cover:
Dio's albums with Rainbow
Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules, but not Dehumanizer
The first four Dio solo albums (the source of 9 songs from last year's Dio top 10).

As for repeats: let's get some games done and see how long the season is going. I've already got 20 games on the list (5 groups of 4), and that's quite a few.

Hehe was just thinking out loud more than anything ;)

RJD as an entire career rather than Solo is not something I'd thought of tbh, but I approve! I'm guessing the reason you're going with only 4 from solo is to stop it being too long, although I quite like Killing the Dragon but heh ;)

Are you going to include The Devil You Know? fcking awesome album. EDIT: And no Dehumanizer? But how can I try and get "I" into the top 10 :'(

RE: Scorpions, theyve got a lot of material so cutting some out would be understandable... I'd have to revisist some of the older albums (theyre one of those bands that have lots of great material but its spread over a long time) but I'd play.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Only about a third of their albums are well-known, even though most of them are great. I've considered them before and rejected them. Unless a lot of Scorps fans petition, no.
I'd play.

Vap said:
Will Metallica survivor include Lulu?

Why bother running it at all, its a foregone conclusion that that would be the top10!

You should totally throw in Dehumanizer/Devil You Know to RJD even if not the rest of his solo material, I understand the reasoning but I would've thought Dehumanizer was well known enough.

Take what we can get though, afterall.. it's you putting in the effort so it's only fair you decide :)

The Beatles would work quite well. Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, the White Album and Abbey Road are solid throughout, it's only the first couple that are "singles" albums.

It seems no one likes Primus or Faith No More?

The Flash said:
It's not a Metallica album.
It's Metallica enough.

SMX, I don't think that a Genesis survivor would get more voters than a Yes survivor. There is quite a few voters for a Yes survivor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back