2011-12 Survivor rules and information

Status
Not open for further replies.

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
To clarify things for new and old players alike, I think it's time for a new rules thread.

What is a Survivor?
A game conducted by polls, the goal of which is to find (and fight over) the best songs by various bands. The name comes from the TV show, because we use the same method: vote off the worst, and the best are left standing. The idea was taken from DreamTheaterForums.org, but I have heavily modified their rules.

How do you play?
Vote for your three LEAST favorite songs in the poll. Yes, sometimes they're all good songs and it's a painful choice - that's the whole point. :devil2: At the end of each 2-day round, I'll take out the top 2 or 3 "winners" of the poll, and the vote count is reset.

After a few rounds, we'll get down to 10 songs left. That's when the next album from the band joins the continuing top ten songs. We go back up to about 20 songs and whittle it down to 10 again, when the next album joins...

When there's only two songs left from a single album, those songs are removed from the poll and promoted to later rounds: the Quarterfinals and Semifinals. After we've run through all the band's albums, those rounds are next.

If we've done a band before, the top ten songs from the last game are held out until the Finals. Thus the Finals become the reigning regime vs. the best of the rest. When we're finally into the Top Ten, I only remove one song per round (to induce maximum pain and collateral damage).

How do you win?
You don't. Songs win or lose; you can care or not as you please. :p

Of course, most players back their favorite songs for survival. Everyone here knows I have a deep interest in seeing Paschendale win, because it's not possible to not care about a song that awesome.

A quick technical point: the tiebreaker.
If songs are tied and I need to break that tie, then I go back to previous rounds and compare the tied songs until I find a winner. If the vote history is identical all the way back, the tie is not broken; both songs survive.

How many games are there?
This season it's only 4 games at a time. Two will update every day, so each game has 2-day rounds.

What bands will we be doing in the future?
I will no longer be running low-voter games. Thus I'm aiming for some well-known and popular bands this season.

We'll be doing some repeats, when the time is right. Sabbath, Rush and Zeppelin are always fun. Bruce will follow Maiden, but we're going to skip Blaze this year.

New bands: Van Halen and Foo Fighters, perhaps more. (Queen is happening right now... :innocent:)

And something that I think will be enjoyed: the big 4 of thrash all at once. We'll start Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax together.

If there's anything about the rules I forgot to mention or you don't understand, ask here. This is also a good place to post requests for upcoming bands.

Could we have a Yes survivor possibly? I don't how many other Yes fanatics we have around here.

If this happened I would love to play along. It would be a good chance for me to fully discover them, something I have been wanting to do for awhile.

Yes, I basically listened to everything by them except for maybe their first two albums.

I doubt a Yes game would get enough voters to be worthwhile. Maybe for the Yes Album - Fragile - Close To The Edge trilogy, but most people don't know or care about the rest.

What about the contest winners' picks from last season, Thin Lizzy (jeffmetal) and Gamma Ray (Night Prowler)?

SinisterMinisterX said:
I doubt a Yes game would get enough voters to be worthwhile. Maybe for the Yes Album - Fragile - Close To The Edge trilogy, but most people don't know or care about the rest.

90125 is their most underrated album ever.

I've been reconsidering the matter, and I'll add the requested bands to the schedule (subject to change).

Now: Iron Maiden III, Dream Theater II, Judas Priest II, Queen
Next: Bruce Dickinson III, Van Halen, Foo Fighters, Led Zeppelin III

Then...
Metallica III, Megadeth III, Slayer II, Anthrax
Pink Floyd II, Rush III, Opeth, Yes
Black Sabbath III, Thin Lizzy, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth II

Can't wait for Led Zeppelin. And the Megadeth one is gonna be awesome too, maybe people will begin to appreciate Good Mourning/Black Friday.

Great band list this season! I plan on playing in all of them.

Suggestion to SMX - I suggest checking, few days before opening the new Survivor, how many people will vote regularly in it - to avoid the situation with Pantera, Savatage and Motörhead Survivors last season ;)

I might be willing to participate in the KISS survivor.
But I will be doing Metallica and Megadeth for sure, as for Anthrax and Slayer I've never been big on them.

Tull's discography is huge. So, I can imagine a possible objection, as compared to what SMX said about Yes.

In my view the difference is that it's not a matter of not caring about the later albums (on the contrary: I want to hear it all), it's just that I haven't heard these yet.

I am busy with getting into this band (thoroughly and chronologically) and at this point I "only" know all their 1968-1973 stuff. B-sides, bonus tracks and the Chateau d'Isaster session (from Night Cap) included.

The problem with Yes, Tull and Kiss (and the Beatles, who I've considered too) is that there's a few very famous albums, but most of the discog is only of interest to deep fans. I don't think Yes and Tull have many deep fans here, but I may be wrong about Yes at least.

True, it's hard to find bands where every single album is well known by everyone. But with Yes and Tull, over half their albums are obscure.

Kiss and the Beatles will fare better here, but there are well over 200 songs for each. They're on the sidelines for the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back