2011-12 Survivor rules and information

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, we're going to try and get Survivors started again. Instead of one person running all the survivors, anybody can run their own survivor(s). Details are still being worked out for the new board, so suggestions are welcome.

I'll be running 4 survivors to start this off (Night Prowler and UnknownOne are also planning survivors).
Yes
Rush
Pink Floyd
Early Queensryche (EP-Empire)

It would probably be a good idea to post here if you'd like to do a survivor. So we can decide if such a survivor would garner voters. Because of the limitations, I'm going to run my survivors by album sides. (For albums like 2112, there will be exceptions. I will put the entire album in at once in that case. Maybe 2.) Survivors will still only allow 3 votes.

I'm not sure how quarter finals/semi finals will work though, so I'd definitely like to hear suggestions about that.

OK I think that's about it. Please post suggestions for these new survivors!

I'm doing Iced Earth, Gamma Ray and Opeth Survivors + 1 more I haven't decided yet. More on that when me and Mosh figure out the rules.

Important rule (or a suggestion): Before starting a Survivor, check how many regular voters will vote in it, to avoid having a Survivor with only 2-3 regular voters.

SMX suggested that we start them again from the beginning, but we may continue them. TBD. Btw. if anyone wants to do Survivors with me, Mosh and UO, write here:cheers:

Better continue Night Prowler. We were very far with some of them... Or else it feels it was all done for nothing.

I dunno, my problem is that we have new rules and systems etc, I think it would be a bit difficult to take over a survivor from the old board. Especially since many of them (if not all) had more than ten options.

If NP wants to finish those, he can. But I won't.

But with some we were literally busy for months. All wasted if not continued. And I'm not sure if I would start to do it all over again within such a relatively short period.

It'll be quite a long time before those bands get a survivor again. NP and I have about 16 bands planned.

Alright. That's not too bad. Once things have gotten worked out and we've done a few games with new bands, we'll get those started again. And it won't be that long, I plan on getting QR started very soon.

I'll probably only have enough time to run 2 of them at the current time (My uni workload will shoot up in the future). One is definitely going to be the Ronnie James Dio survivor that SMX had planned(so the probable albums would be the 3 Rainbow, 2 Sabbath, first 4 Dio solo albums). The other one I'm not sure yet so if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Here is what I'm thinking for rules: One song is eliminated per round. (You only get one vote) When two songs from an album are left, they are promoted, just like in the old games. Once there is room for the next side it will be added.

I want to continue the Iron Maiden Survivor, but there is a problem. Say I continue from the Semifinals. I have to divide all these songs into groups with less than 10 songs in each. When eventually I end up with 10 songs, then I have to include the Top 10 from the previous Survivor. So I make 2 random groups with 10 songs, and promote 5 from each = 10. But maybe No. 6 song from one group is better than No. 1 from the other one, so it isn't really a fair fight. If you people are OK with that, I'm gonna do it that way. If not, well, wait for the summer for some of us to start it all over again :)

New Survivors I'm gonna do will be Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, Opeth and The Big 4 Survivor. The Big 4 Survivor will consist of the following albums:
- Metallica
Kill 'Em All
Ride The Lightning
Master Of Puppets
...And Justice For All
Metallica

- Megadeth
Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good!
Peace Sells...But Who's Buying
So Far, So Good...So What!
Rust In Peace
Countdown To Extinction
Youthanasia
Cryptic Writings

-Slayer
Show No Mercy
Hell Awaits
Reign In Blood
South Of Heaven
Seasons In The Abyss

-Anthrax
Fistful Of Metal
Spreading The Disease
Among The Living
State Of Euphoria
Persistence Of Time
Who's interested in playing in these Survivors?

I want to continue the Iron Maiden Survivor, but there is a problem. Say I continue from the Semifinals. I have to divide all these songs into groups with less than 10 songs in each. When eventually I end up with 10 songs, then I have to include the Top 10 from the previous Survivor. So I make 2 random groups with 10 songs, and promote 5 from each = 10. But maybe No. 6 song from one group is better than No. 1 from the other one, so it isn't really a fair fight.

Not sure what you are exactly saying but I'd do it like this:

You are now in the semi-final:
step 1: keep eliminating until you have 10 left (I don't care how many rounds it takes; that's up to you).
step 2: add these 10 left songs to the final 10 of previous year.

Now you have one group of 20 songs, and they enter in The Final . These songs are in no way random.
From now on, continue with "clean statistics" (previous votes are not important).

step 3: eliminate until one is left

Alternatives:
A: ask SMX how he dealt with this.
B: do it your own way.

I will join the Maiden one and the Priest one if these continue.

I probably will join the Gamma Ray survivor, depending on the time I have.
Rush and Pink Floyd were done too recently in my opinion. So this probably is about it.

You do know it's not possible to add more than 10 options in a poll? That's the main problem, otherwise I'd use SMX's system.

@ Night Prowler

If Death Magnetic is included to the Big 4 Survivor then I'm in, if not, I'm not. :bigsmile:

By the way, I'd suggest starting discontinued survivors all over again. When it comes to the finals, you can create groups which are based on the votes of previous rounds instead of grouping them randomly. That'd be fair, don't you think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back