18th Studio Album discussion

I'm still irked they just stopped doing those History Ofs to go with DVD releases, just because (most likely) someone in management said the format's dying, so why bother. AND that they cut it off at probably the most interesting and tumultuous point in Maiden history, which was the '90s.
I was pretty damn sure they were never going to do the 90's.
While I love NPFD I hear that many Maiden fans don't like it (I can't for the life of me understand why people don't like it), I think there are only two good songs on Fear of the Dark, no good songs on X Factor and none on Virtual IX, I would lothe to see or hear Blaze crucifying Maiden songs live again, who would want a video of that?!

I always thought that if they continued with the History of's they would just go straight through to Brave new World onwards and pretend the Four albums and tours in between never happened. It would be awkward of them to skip and it would have been interesting for them to try to explain the skip to the media when they release the History of from BNW onwards. I mean ya can't just say, well our fans didn't really like that period and so we didn't think it would sell well.

While I love NPFD I hear that many Maiden fans don't like it (I can't for the life of me understand why people don't like it), I think there are only two good songs on Fear of the Dark, no good songs on X Factor and none on Virtual IX, I would lothe to see or hear Blaze crucifying Maiden songs live again, who would want a video of that?!

I always thought that if they continued with the History of's they would just go straight through to Brave new World onwards and pretend the Four albums and tours in between never happened. It would be awkward of them to skip and it would have been interesting for them to try to explain the skip to the media when they release the History of from BNW onwards. I mean ya can't just say, well our fans didn't really like that period and so we didn't think it would sell well.
I still hold out some hope that we will get a history pt. 4 documentary but I don’t think it’ll concentrate on the 1990’s. I think it’ll likely cover the period from straight after pt. 3 Finishes right the way through the 90’s, reunion and final days and will likely turn up in a box set when the band has finished.

This way they can cover the 90’s but sort of flash through it without having to linger on the issues around a Bruce leaving and the blaze years but at the same time not dismiss these events.

I know many fans don’t like much output from the 90’s and especially never liked Blaze but this decade was a part of the bands history and shouldn’t be ignored. Personally I love the 90’s albums. I may have some rise tinted specs on as fear of the dark was the first new album released after I became a fan but I still love the album as much as I did back when it was released. Top 5 album for me. Same as x-factor, love that album.

On a further point I have no idea why the band and their management think that dvds and blu rays don’t sell anymore. There’s still a big market for physical formats and loads of bands still release them.

I guess they can’t be arsed to make one when they think some low life is gonna download it in to YouTube anyway and a ton of people would just watch it there cutting off a large portion of sales.

Thing is, Maiden have a dedicated fan base that buys pretty much anything they release and in multiple formats. If they released a blu ray/dvd set and only sold it through their website and made it a pre order only and one sold no more would ever be available in shops then they would only ever manufacture the exact amount they would sell so would surely cut done the cost of mass producing it and sending out to various retailers and risk having a load sitting I. Shelf’s for years.

On a further point I have no idea why the band and their management think that dvds and blu rays don’t sell anymore. There’s still a big market for physical formats and loads of bands still release them.

I guess they can’t be arsed to make one when they think some low life is gonna download it in to YouTube anyway and a ton of people would just watch it there cutting off a large portion of sales.

Thing is, Maiden have a dedicated fan base that buys pretty much anything they release and in multiple formats. If they released a blu ray/dvd set and only sold it through their website and made it a pre order only and one sold no more would ever be available in shops then they would only ever manufacture the exact amount they would sell so would surely cut done the cost of mass producing it and sending out to various retailers and risk having a load sitting I. Shelf’s for years.
But Iron Maiden management isn't so creative in thinking and doing the REALLY IMPORTANT decisions right.

then they would only ever manufacture the exact amount they would sell so would surely cut done the cost of mass producing it and sending out to various retailers and risk having a load sitting I. Shelf’s for years.
Unfortunately, the low run volume would probably mean we’d get BD-R’s instead of real deal blu-rays, so their shelf life would be a lot shorter, perhaps only 10 years, which would kinda defeat the purpose.

But in general I agree that bands are missing opportunities with video releases, as this would allow them to do things like interesting one-off live videos with deep cuts or full albums that wouldn’t require the time and expense of a full tour, but could be great fan service with recurring revenue, like Metallica’s S&M releases. Personally, I’d love to see stuff like a one-off theatrical production of the Operation: Mindcrime The Key trilogy that could never make sense as a full tour. Or in Maiden’s case a full live set of 90s material could be very cool, and would be the perfect place to include a history part 4.

Love it or hate it, but the 90s period is by far Maiden's most interesting to cover in a documentary, so I hope they do cover it at length. I suppose we'll see. Or we won't. It'll definitely be one of the two.

Edit: Also worth adding that the two Blaze albums especially were the genesis of a LOT of current Maiden characteristics. So it's something, imo, they should embrace and be proud of because it's a big part of their current sound.

Because these are their least popular albums, but they had an idea to release a documentary about the 90's albums given the end of Part 3. With or without a tour. After the LOTB tour I doubt they will do anything for the 90's albums. But they could include some songs from this era in a Hits/hybrid/Anniv tour. There are a lot of gems. I also doubt they will do more History and even hybrid tours (unless it's for a classic album or BNW).
They could have used the short 2014 tour for a 90's inspired set (similar to the 2005 tour), and it would have been fresh and interesting (3 songs from No Prayer, 4 songs from Fear, 2 songs from X Factor and at least 1 from Virtual would have been enough. The rest - classics), but back then I feel the band didn't quite know what to do for a while and used the last concert video from the 80's for an inspiration. The 2008 tour really changed their plans for the future methinks. They should have done something for the 90's albums. I mean, it's somehow atypical for Maiden.
- the 90's era, BNW and the last 2 albums deserve documentaries. They don't even have to be that detailed. I think the band will release a big documentary about their entire career some day. The early 90's are not an issue and Blaze is good friends with the band.

I don't know if for the next album there will be hints and clues again (I'd like), or something else surprising, but it would be great if they release short clips for the album/songs with some teasing info from the band members. That would be cool and new.

Pretty sure Maiden's documenting of the '90s would be attaching the History Of Part 4 documentary to Live at Donington '92 and that would be it. Zero chance they'd dig up some Blaze concert to put out, so you have no worries there. History 4 would likely cover Adrian leaving (per his cliffhanger in History 3) up to him and Bruce rejoining. Then, in this hypothetical that they did continue these DVDs, they'd maybe attach History 5 with whatever Early Days 2005 show they have in their backlog (since Rock in Rio and onwards were plenty available on DVD in the day).

The sad thing is that there is plenty of material to choose from in the 90s. Lots of great video/audio from every tour. I would even say that there are better representations of the Fear of the Dark tour that they could pull from. But I agree, best case scenario is Donington 92 + a bonus disc with the documentary and probably Raising Hell as well.

I'm still irked they just stopped doing those History Ofs to go with DVD releases, just because (most likely) someone in management said the format's dying, so why bother. AND that they cut it off at probably the most interesting and tumultuous point in Maiden history, which was the '90s.

After Nights of the Dead, cherry-picking the best performances should be the way to go going forward.

Me too. Massively.

But even if they wanted to release more history DVDs and videos from the vault, is there even a market for it? They don't sell do they? Would they make new documentaries or live videos (even of the current tour) just to put on YouTube?

I would buy a blu ray and even a dvd though.

Regarding covering the 90s-

Documentary obviously covering the last (at the time) Bruce albums and then Bruce leaving etc.

With the Blaze years they can talk about the good and bad. It doesn't have to be mean, just his live problems, the dip in the industry at the time. But they did some good stuff too and I like a lot of the Blaze songs.

Blaze isn't a bitter guy who lashes out at Maiden and always comes across as grateful for his time with them.

For the concert release with Bruce you just pick something like Donnington 92, unless they've released that recently.

For Blaze you don't release a full concert but you cherry pick his very best performances from different shows in 1995 live (he was better than in 96 and 98) of all of his own material.

Then put in his best version from 95 of a few songs like Afraid to shoot strangers, Wrathchild and a few others he could do. Throw in a few 98 concert songs, again of him at his best, doing Futureal and Clansman one or two others.

Then back to Bruce.

If they did release it though I expect it more to be like of an hour documentary they probably cover the entire Blaze era in about seven minutes, mainly focus on the X Factor, and then back to Bruce. Sadly.

Last edited:
Back on topic,

I think the next album will again have a few solely written (and long) songs by Steve. Dave will write one too. Bruce could use some of his solo songs that were leftover or write one song all by himself. Adrian and Janick will write as usual with Bruce and Steve. Nicko might present the song he wrote during the SJ sessions (that would be curious, but a racing car theme?). The cover might not have a background again; really unfortunately.
A Nicko race car tune?

A Nicko race car tune?

One about hitting a parking attendant with a car?

Or one about speeding and being banned from driving?

Regarding covering the 90s-

Documentary obviously covering the last (at the time) Bruce albums and then Bruce leaving etc.

With the Blaze years they can talk about the good and bad. It doesn't have to be mean, just his live problems, the dip in the industry at the time. But they did some good stuff too and I like a lot of the Blaze songs.

Blaze isn't a bitter guy who lashes out at Maiden and always comes across as grateful for his time with them.

For the concert release with Bruce you just pick something like Donnington 92, unless they've released that recently.

For Blaze you don't release a full concert but you cherry pick his very best performances from different shows in 1995 live (he was better than in 96 and 98) of all of his own material.

Then put in his best version from 95 of a few songs like Afraid to shoot strangers, Wrathchild and a few others he could do. Throw in a few 98 concert songs, again of him at his best, doing Futureal and Clansman one or two others.

Then back to Bruce.

If they did release it though I expect it more to be like of an hour documentary they probably cover the entire Blaze era in about seven minutes, mainly focus on the X Factor, and then back to Bruce. Sadly.
From the '90s, Live at Donington is likely all they'd release. I don't know if they filmed Wembley '90, but if they did, that would be a post-retirement vault-type release, I'd guess.

I don't think they'd even bring up Blaze's live issues, honestly. They'd downplay the failure of his era to the rise of grunge, and bring Blaze on to say some good things about his time in the band (which he's always happy to do). I doubt they'd include any live footage, and certainly not any full shows, cherry-picked or otherwise. As you said, I'd expect the Blaze era coverage to be fairly brief, with a decent portion covering the buildup to the reunion.

Last edited:
One about hitting a parking attendant with a car?

Or one about speeding and being banned from driving?

No one can expect Nicko to drive under the speed limit; his right foot is just too damn fast!

Back