18th Studio Album discussion

we should at least get a change of pace in album cover art. If there is another Eddie with a black background I’m going to lose my shit!
Agreed. But unfortunately I think they found a new and preferred way to do the covers. I really want a bright cover again.
Still, there is a chance for something different, because the artist will be different. Like an Eddie in full-length again, or a colorful empty background (I want green), but Maiden covers are always about the details! At least we got the detailed covers in the booklets. Expected or not, I'm happy with that and I hope they will continue to do it. As much additional artworks as possible. I'm not a fan of the simplicity, which can be done with a proper background, btw. I like the covers and the Eddies a lot, and I wouldn't call them lazy, but the artworks in TBOS & SJ booklets are just amazing and something else - and the backgrounds help for that big time. That's part of the heavy metal magic, they add so much. And bands like HammerFall or Grave Digger (with such traditions) continue to release covers with a background and details. Even the newer bands, so I don't get it.
The Book of Souls cover is probably in my top 5, maybe top 3 Maiden covers. But I don’t want every color to look like that.
Exactly. The last 2 covers are like the first 2 album covers, but without the background.
However, if they go down the AI album art path then I’m done, never listening to Maiden again!!
I really doubt Maiden would do that, for an album. They have traditions.
Yes. Mark Wilkinson said somewhere that his partnership with the band was over. I'm anticipating the next album being another Grant cover.
Mark Wilkinson is a great artist. I guess for the next album they will choose Grant, Akirant or someone else.

It was the fanclub magazine right after the release of Senjutsu I believe
That might've been it. I remember that there was some speculation about him falling out with Rod, but I think you might be right.

Oh yeah, the guy who fell out with Rod was Ross Halfin. My bad.

It’s easy, I see Metal Pilgrim and I keep scrolling.
Samesies. I clicked the little "don't recommend channel" but he still pops up now and again. In his defense, he DOES have some occasional good content. He's got a good speaking voice and he's pretty concise with the information he provides. The problem is that I've never seen him provid any new information, and his ridiculous click-bait titles make my eyes roll back into my head before I can ever click the link.

I'm a much bigger fan of the "Licking my Beast" channel. Dude knows his shit, breaks down the music in ways that a non-musically-inclined person like myself can follow, no click bait titles, and in general he's a huge fan of the band, which I like.

It was the fanclub magazine right after the release of Senjutsu I believe
I think I have that copy still, I need to go check. I was looking for the interview and couldn't find it online. The only two things I remember for sure were:
1. His partnership with the band is over.
2. He had to alter the artwork quite a bit thanks to Steve.

Samesies. I clicked the little "don't recommend channel" but he still pops up now and again. In his defense, he DOES have some occasional good content. He's got a good speaking voice and he's pretty concise with the information he provides. The problem is that I've never seen him provid any new information, and his ridiculous click-bait titles make my eyes roll back into my head before I can ever click the link.

I'm a much bigger fan of the "Licking my Beast" channel. Dude knows his shit, breaks down the music in ways that a non-musically-inclined person like myself can follow, no click bait titles, and in general he's a huge fan of the band, which I like.
Metal Pilgrim knows a lot about the bands he talks about, but his content is made for more casual listeners. If you've been following Maiden or Priest for years, you won't learn anything new from his videos. But to me, his biggest problem is that he's always extremely positive about anything his favorite bands release. Like, he won't really criticize them. I don't need to watch his videos to know that he'll say that another new album by some legacy act band is the best he's heard in years. Sure, he might be honest in his opinions, but to me, it looks like he's trying to be very likable to make it possible to interview musicians like Hoffmann or Halford. His interviews are much better than the rest of his content tho.

But to me, his biggest problem is that he's always extremely positive about anything his favorite bands release.
Well, not always. Recently, he changed his mind about 'Invincible Shield'. He first did a very positive review of this record on early march, then he interviewed Rob Halford and somewhere in April he did another video saying that 'Invicible Shield' was not so good after all... So, he's not always blindly too enthusiastic.

That guy is awesome, I hope he doesn't descent into other YT blobs that are usually around. Love his breakdown of Senjutsu when it came out.
I also like Cap'n Harris, but I've only watched their tour blogs (those were fun).
As for Metal Pilgrim - what malfeitor said: guy can't afford giving negative opinions while trying to climb the ladder. Sure, he'll give a critique now and then, but it's usually overlooked comparing how much he praises everything else.

Well, not always. Recently, he changed his mind about 'Invincible Shield'. He first did a very positive review of this record on early march, then he interviewed Rob Halford and somewhere in April he did another video saying that 'Invicible Shield' was not so good after all... So, he's not always blindly too enthusiastic.
Huh, weird. Invincible Shield has exactly two songs I don't like, one of them being a bonus track. The rest ranges from good to fantastic. But that's the thing with opinions, everyone has one :P

Back