10 favorite records from each metal genre (one per band).

First, a disclaimer - my choices will be biased towards more recent music, as I'm hoping we may also get a Classic Rock round down the line
Now this is under the title of "10 favorite records from each metal genre". But it doesn't mean that we can't open a thread later regarding 10 favorite records from each rock (or even non-metal) genre in the future. Personally it sounds great to me since, although liking tons of metal bands (with some ranking among my favorites), the majority of my likes are outside of the metal genre.

BTW @DJMayes , @Forostar and @The_7th_one I truly liked your lists (that reminds me that I forgot to give my honorable mentions featuring some records by bands you mentioned like Montrose's debut, Samson's Shock Tactics and Blue Oyster Cult's Spectres). But no Led Zeppelin? :(

9ba059feb0c48767e07203297ca8caa2_400x400.jpeg

I'm not a fan of wanting to make a distinguishment between hard rock and metal. At some point, it just got a little heavier (although The Beatles' Helter Skelter is heavier than many songs on many metal albums (and the term and perhaps technique for the same thing changed over time; some bands wanted to use the new term others not), but I'll still try to play the game. Still, when progressive metal comes on, I'm not into that many different bands, so I rather add in some progressive rock albums as well (1970s and 1980s), which of course have (also) influenced (progressive) metal bands.
I get your point and agree. It happens with lots of genres to various people. A good example is me not agreeing the slightest to label both Alice In Chains and Soundgarden as Grunge just because they're from Seattle and grew among bands like Nirvana, Blind Mellon, Hole, Stone Temple Pilots, Babes In Toyland or Smashing Pumpkins. IMO they're both Alternative rock/ metal acts. And even Pearl Jam... that I consider to be an Rock band with some alternative band (which reminds me i totally forgot about Vs which is a must include and I don't wanna redo my list. I'll manage to fit it somewhere else). Perhaps the only slightest far fetched record you mentioned (and bear in mind this is my perception of genres and that alone gives entire reason to the explanation you gave) is Quadrophonia (amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzing record though... if Prog/ Opera Rock shows up in the future it will be there 100% sure) and even there we get some harsher moments.

BTW @DJMayes , @Forostar and @The_7th_one I truly liked your lists (that reminds me that I forgot to give my honorable mentions featuring some records by bands you mentioned like Montrose's debut, Samson's Shock Tactics and Blue Oyster Cult's Spectres). But no Led Zeppelin? :(

Sorry, I'm not a big fan of Zepp. I agree that the two first albums were good but the rest are boring and sleepy stuff. I hate Plant girly screamings all the time. The albums I have included in the list are superb and much better IMO.

To be completely honest with you, the only Led Zeppelin album I've listened to fully is a compilation - which I enjoyed, to be fair, but didn't feel it counted.

I really don't like Zeppelin either. Sorry! I do like less than 10 Zeppelin songs and they are on different records. I respect them for having contributed to making music heavier. But all my favourite bands do not have Zeppelin as influence and if they do, then they were one of the less important influences and/or one of many.

I really don't like Zeppelin either. Sorry! I do like less than 10 Zeppelin songs and they are on different records. I respect them for having contributed to making music heavier. But all my favourite bands do not have Zeppelin as influence and if they do, then they were one of the less important influences and/or one of many.
Sorry, I'm not a big fan of Zepp. I agree that the two first albums were good but the rest are boring and sleepy stuff. I hate Plant girly screamings all the time. The albums I have included in the list are superb and much better IMO.
I was only pulling your guys' leg :D . No need to be sorry for anything: it is perfectly ok not liking some iconic bands. ;)

I'll go even further: Their debut is regarded as a masterpiece but IMO besides Dazed And Confused and Communication Breakdown I find the rest of the album quite boring (IMO Led Zeppelin II to Physical Graffiti is their killer spree). So even I as a Zepp fan have my own share of "blasphemous" opinions ehehehhehe.

Hard rock:

Alice cooper - Billion dollar babies
The black crowes - Shake your money maker
Aerosmith - Rocks
Guns n’roses - Appetite for destruction
King’s X - Ear candy
Kiss - Hotter than hell
Led zeppelin - IV
Mötley crue - Shout at the devil
Rainbow - Rising
WASP - Wasp

The eternal genre...

Rock (in no particular order):

KISS - Kiss (1974): Their debut album has such a unique atmosphere and contains a lot of classics for the band.

AC/DC - Back In Black (1980): One of the all time best rock albums!

Rainbow - Straight Between The Eyes (1982): The best album with Joe and one of the band's best album as a whole piece.

Krokus - Metal Rendez-vous (1980): I could have picked any of their 80's albums, but in this album every song rocks. Some of the band's best songs are in this album too.

Scorpions - Savage Amusement (1988): It's kinda underrated album. Not a single bad song.

Def Leppard - High 'N' Dry (1981): Only 1 filler from 10 songs! This is their true rock album.

Whitesnake - Whitesnake (1987): This is ther best album. No fillers!

FireHouse - FireHouse (1990): Underrated band. All songs are very good. The production is great too.

Paul Stanley - Paul Stanley (1978): The best solo album of the four. It could have been a Kiss album.

Bruce Dickinson - Tattooed Millionaire (1990): I enjoy this album. Yeah, two of the songs are really bad, but the rest are fun rock songs.

Now a huge turn to some of the more controversial genres out there (one I must admit I'm far from being a fan of the vast majority of bands but the few I like I truly love). None other than Rap (and funk) Metal/ Nu Metal:

The_Real_Thing_album_cover.jpg

Faith No More - The Real Thing (1989): We all saw Faith No More's name coming and while many would pick Angel Dust as their favorite record I must go with the band's breakthrough third studio effort. The only problem with it is rookie Mine Patton's nasal vocalization... and I don't know if that was something the rest of the guys asked him to do since the many songs from The Real Thing that are featured in the following live album show Mr. Patton with the monster voice he since then greeted us with (without shadow of doubt one of the best singers in all rock history). Then the album is simply all killer and no filler. Either be it through funky takes like Epic, Underwater Love, Falling To Pieces and The Morning After or by long and intricate mixes of influences in the title track, Woodpeckers From Mars and Zombie Eaters, the band nails it all perfectly and still has time to unleash a semi Thrash Metal attack in Surprise You're Dead, some lounge soundscapes on The Edge Of The World and wrap it up with a superb version of Sabbath's War pigs. This record is a game changer... a kaleidoscope of colors and moods that would soon influence millions of acts in the following decade and beyond. And (needless to say) a masterpiece.

Body_Count_Album_Cover.jpg

Body Count - Body Count (1992): Many may not know but Mr. Ice-T while making his ascension as a rapper has been a metal enthusiast since young age especially when it came to Sabbath and Slayer. So when his friend Ernie C suggested they could form a metal band, Ice-T was all in. And this record shows these dudes were really in for it. Body Count's In The House is one of the most iconic Rap Metal songs ever, with the title track and Momma's Gotta Die Tonight following the same pattern when it came to music and lyrics (racism, urban violence, social affairs and police brutality). On the other hand some songs are daring more into metal territory like There Goes The Neighborhood, the hilarious Evil Dick or the hugely controversial Cop Killer. Overall this was the first chapter of a long career with its ups and downs (RIP D-Roc) but nonetheless a hugely influential album.

Living_Colour_Stain.jpg

Living Colour - Stain (1993): By their third record Living Color was already a stronghold when it came to their brand of funk metal. And although not capturing quite the same media attention that its predecessors did I believe that Stain shows this quartet of virtuosos at their creative peak. Filled with immediate hits filled with juicy stuff and cleverly built like Leave It Alone, Bi, Nothingness or Wall riding alongside fat chunks of hybrid funk/ blues heaviness on Auslander, Never Satisfied and Postman these guys still manage to deliver some brutal blows on beats like Go Away, This Little Pig and Mind Your Own Business. Diving even more into social issues this record is really something and when it comes to musical skill it once again proves Vermon Reid, Danny Glover, Dough Wimbish and Will Calhoun can go shoulder to shoulder with any band in the planet.

Groove_Family_Cyco.jpg

Infectious Grooves - Groove Family Cyco/ Snapped Lika Mutha (1994): IG is normally known as Mike Muir and Rob Trujillo's side project. But when their third album came out fact Suicidal Tendencies' quality releases were at an all time low while Infectious Grooves were perfecting their brand of Funk Metal on every release. From the get go Violent & Funky let's you know what this is once again all about: having a ball while listening to some out of this world riffage and especially bass lines. Boom Boom Boom follows and man... what is this witchcraft Rob is pulling here? Seriously... this dude is one the best bass players in rock (it really saddens me how badly exploited is his talent in Metallica). The same works for Die Like A Pig (that even features some Cannibal Corpse like riff. And what to say about lyrics like "Die lika pig you pig"? Pure philosophy). Then there's the RATM diatribe on Do What I Tell Ya. But truth be told there isn't a single skip it like track here. Funny and awesome material all the way.

R-1238542-1552390385-8666.jpeg.jpg

Senser - Stacked Up (1994): It really stuns me how these guys didn't manage to become one of the greatest acts when it comes to Rap Metal. When Stacked Up was released me and my circle of friends agreed on what a monster of a record it was. And the majority of us weren't even into Rap Metal. Back to the album: besides Heitham's machine gun speed rapping and Kerstin's gorgeous voice, Senser brings some Clawfinger like guitar and layers of samples and turn tables resulting in an absolute feast. It often transcends the genre and go into more alternative venues, electronic and ambient music. Songs like State Of Mind, The Key, Switch, Eject, Age Of Panic and Stubborn granted the band huge sales, even entering the UK charts. But soon the success would fade and the circumstances of the quick rise and even quicker demise of this English collective still remain a mystery to me.

Pigwalk_Cover.jpg

Stuck Mojo - Pigwalk (1996): With their second full length release Stuck Mojo wanted to add a strong industrial feel to it alongside their brand of Rapping Hardcore like Nu Metal. So what better way to aid them in the process than recruiting SYL's mastermind Devin Townsend to infuse them with industrial mayhem while producing the record. And man... when it comes to heaviness and intensity Pigwalk makes almost any other band in the genre sound like elevator music. Bonz's frantic rap like hardcore bursts lie upon Rich's deeply Helmet influenced riffage on steroids with everything turned at 11. Seriously, once you get blown away by the opening title track you're in for a whirlwind of sound that only ceases when the record ends. Pigwalk, Here Comes The Monster, Violated, Animal (featuring Dev in the chorus) and the strongly industrial metal vibes of Down Breeding are among the best cuts of what I consider to be the more intense and violent record in the genre. Absolutely brutal.

Clawfinger_claw.jpg

Clawfinger - Clawfinger (1997): It was a close call between this album and the band's debut but in the end I went with Clawfinger's self titled. Arguably the oldest Rap Metal band, these guys from Sweden really came with a bang on their third record. And this time they're all over the place, be it by using loops of middle eastern music on the opener Two Sides and Don't Wake Me Up, throat singing samples on the bombastic Hold Your Head Up, some country interludes in Nobody Knows or even borderline Punk on Not Even you fact is the band seems comfortable in every skin they sneak their Rap Metal skeleton into. But is in more traditional Clawfinger type songs that this thing really makes your blood boil. Chances, I'm Your Life And Religion and especially The Biggest And The Best are indeed energy filled cuts that once again prove these guys are and always have been on the front of the pack when it comes to this genre.

RAtM-BattleofLosAngeles.jpeg

Rage Against the Machine - The Battle Of Los Angeles (1999): Unlike many I was never impressed with RATM's first two albums and always found them overrated. That however was about to change with the release of their third album. Here Morello and company injected more funk than ever in their Rap Metal and the result IMO was a significant improvement. Plus there is some later 70's rock aftertaste, like the band let their Hendrix and MC5 influences show a bit more. And that immediately shows on the excellent opener Testify, the intense Sleep Now In The Fire, as well as New Millenium Homes, Maria and Voice Of The Voiceless. Sure there are more Rap metal driven tracks closer to their early material in Calm Like A Bomb, Born Of A Broken Man, War Within A Breath and the absolutely bombastic Guerrilla Radio (Zack and Tim own this song). Once again the lyrics are strongly entrenched in left wing rhetoric but fact is, either you share their point of view or not, RATM's last album is indeed worth listening to.

61cJ%2Bmg5bBL._SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

The Mad Capsule Markets - Osc-Dis (1999): Now if you don't know TMCM I seriously recommend you to listen to the chaos this Japanese trio manages to unleash. Mixing their Rap Core with a plethora of samples, electronic effects and recurring several times to drum n' bass breakbeats in a frenzy of distortion you're in for a ride if you like these elements. While there are a handful of tracks that may transpire this somewhat "WTF is this pop punk passage doing here?" feeling relentless pounding intensity and energy is the main word of order. Tribe, Mob Track, Restart, Multiplies and Jag are all stuff with electricity enough to light a small town for a considerable amount of time. But my absolute favorite is Out Definition. IMO paramedics should blast that song in case a defribilator is not enough. This thing is pure sonic adrenaline.

Static-X_-_Machine.JPG

Static-X - Machine (2001): We already knew Wayne Static's (RIP) band was what you get from a cleverly cooked mix of White Zombie, Ministry and Nu Metal and that they reached success while doing so. But on their sophomore Static-X wanted to push the whole damn thing to a new level. Way heavier, as one can immediately notice on Get To The Gone, the band seems to rely much more in guitar sharp riffs and industrial grooves with this one. Of Course there are fairly Nu Metal tunes here like Cold, Black And White or the title track but IMO what gets this machine really rolling is when it's fueled with Ministry like repetitive pounding riffs, especially in songs like This Is Not, Permanence, Otsego Undead and Structural Defect. Machine is not a masterpiece but surely has flashes of greatness and if you like either Nu Metal or Industrial Metal I think you'll find something really cool for you to sink your teeth in on this one.

Last edited:
I didn't think there were that many numetal bands I liked, but if I go by the Wikipedia definitions it's not too hard:

12 Stones - Anthem For The Underdog
Disturbed - Inside The Fire
Drowning Pool - Sinner
Evanescence - Fallen
Incubus - Dig
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
Papa Roach - The Paramour Sessions
Slipknot - All Hope Is Gone
System Of A Down - Toxicity
Three Days Grace - One-X

I will replace Disturbed from the hard rock list later.

I didn't think there were that many numetal bands I liked, but if I go by the Wikipedia definitions it's not too hard:

12 Stones - Anthem For The Underdog
Disturbed - Inside The Fire
Drowning Pool - Sinner
Evanescence - Fallen
Incubus - Dig
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
Papa Roach - The Paramour Sessions
Slipknot - All Hope Is Gone
System Of A Down - Toxicity
Three Days Grace - One-X

I will replace Disturbed from the hard rock list later.
I love that list, except that Papa Roach stopped being Nu Metal after Getting Away With Murder and Three Days Grace were never associated with the genre whatsoever. Actually, Slipknot wasn't nu metal at that point anymore either.

I love that list, except that Papa Roach stopped being Nu Metal after Getting Away With Murder and Three Days Grace were never associated with the genre whatsoever. Actually, Slipknot wasn't nu metal at that point anymore either.
I completely agree; I'd personally not include the 12 Stones or Disturbed albums in there either. I'm just deliberately using a dodgy list so I can include albums I like more! :p

I completely agree; I'd personally not include the 12 Stones or Disturbed albums in there either. I'm just deliberately using a dodgy list so I can include albums I like more! :p
Haha, I've noticed a lot of stuff in your lists that I really love but for some reason most people here never mention anywhere. :cheers:

Alternative:

Faith no more - Angel dust
Rage against the machine - Rage against the machine
Red hot chili peppers - Blood sugar sex magik
Suicidal tendencies - Lights camera revolution
Korn - Follow the leader
Limp bizkit - Significant other
Jane’s addiction - Ritual de lo habibutal
System of a down - Toxicity
Linkin park - Hybrid theory
Blind melon - Blind melon

@Sth2112 cool list (love Angel Dust, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Ritual de lo habitual, Toxicity has its moments and despite not liking Korn I have mad respect for them for single handed inventing Nu Metal). But...
Suicidal tendencies - Lights camera revolution
Blind melon - Blind melon
I always defended that band's genre definition should be really broad but I think calling a Crossover/ Thrash record and an Alternative/ Grunge act Nu Metal, Rap Metal or Funk Metal is a bit of a stretch, don't you? :p

P.S. : Lights Camera Revolution simply rules and will appear later on one of my lists.

I always thought that Rap Metal/Nu Metal was and is shit to me. If you ask some members of these bands what are their influences. They don't tell you Maiden, Priest or traditional Metal. I've never considered Heavy Metal or some limb of the Metal genre. In fact I hate them.
If I would say some band. or some album about it I would say Anthrax (I'm the Man EP with Public Enemy collaboration. It's total shit) Faith No More with Angel Dust or The Real Thing albums, the first Living Colour albums (they're fantastic musicians) the first Rage against the Machine album and I think that's all. I don't want to offend anyone but the rest are absolutely shit I don't like Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Korn, Slipknot,Linkin Park…

Back