10 favorite records from each metal genre (one per band).

Death Metal

Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness (1989)
1640536232977.png

Nocturnus - The Key (1990)
1640536256723.png

Morgoth - Cursed (1991)
1640536561458.png

At the Gates - The Red in the Sky Is Ours (1992)
1640536271010.png

Gorefest - False (1992)
1640536297156.png

Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus (1992)
1640536316671.png

Six Feet Under - Haunted (1995)
1640536351300.png

Napalm Death - Diatribes (1996)
1640536372660.png

Necrophagist - Epitaph (2004)
1640536398982.png

God Dethroned - The Lair of the White Worm (2004)
1640536437292.png

Symphonic Metal

Stratovarius - Episode (1996)
1640539187795.png

Dimmu Borgir - Enthrone Darkness Triumphant (1997)
1640539202067.png

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth (1998)
1640539217010.png

Kamelot - The Fourth Legacy (1999)
1640539252670.png

After Forever - Decipher (2001)
1640539267408.png

Avantasia - The Metal Opera (2001)
1640539283659.png

Nightwish - Century Child (2002)
1640539611168.png

Nemesea - Mana (2004)
1640539299073.png

Therion - Sirius B (2004)
1640539315033.png

Epica - The Divine Conspiracy (2007)
1640539341172.png

Gothic Metal

My Dying Bride - The Angel and the Dark River (1995)
1640540130516.png

The Gathering - Mandylion (1995)
1640540093269.png

Tristania - Widow's Weeds (1998)
1640540079756.png

Trail of Tears - Disclosure in Red (1998)
1640540055408.png

Nightwish - Oceanborn (1998)
1640539686620.png

After Forever - Prison of Desire (2000)
1640539697301.png

Autumn - When Lust Evokes the Curse (2002)
1640539717921.png

Epica - Consign to Oblivion (2005)
1640539735481.png

Draconian - Arcane Rain Fell (2005)
1640539753745.png

Sengir - Sign of Devotion (2006)
1640540156271.png

Nocturnus - The Key (1990)
View attachment 18523
Excellent record but I just can't get pass the cringe of the concept and lyrics (even for metal parameters it's far too bad!!!).

Morgoth - Cursed (1991)
1640536561458.png
Another excellent record! But in the end I had to go with Odium.

Gorefest - False (1992)
1640536297156.png
Masterpiece. If there it was a 11 best records list this would probably be my 11th placed.

Six Feet Under - Haunted (1995)
1640536351300.png
Another great album. It's almost unbelievable the band that's been releasing utter crap from a long time now once did this record and Maximum Violence.

Napalm Death - Diatribes (1996)
1640536372660.png
Wouldn't say it's Death Metal (as matter of fact this record is so all over the place it's really hard to pin point its genre) but here's another album I love.

What a pleasant surprise to see this album in your Top 10! I listened to this beauty yesterday. Too bad they broke up years ago. I also have their debut album Guilty Water.

Strange noone mentioned Theatre Of Tragedy Aégis or even Lacuna Coil.
I dislike Lacuna Coil. My wife would have picked Unleashed Memories or their latest album. Not a big fan of Theatre of Tragedy either.

re: Sengir!

Yes, we've seen Sengir at least 6 times, e.g. at various editions of Metal Female Voices Fest and several times with Epica.

@karljant
Perhaps I indeed should've mentioned a Paradise Lost album, although I've usually associated that band less with goth(ic) metal. I may change this soon.
Excellent record but I just can't get pass the cringe of the concept and lyrics (even for metal parameters it's far too bad!!!).
Very original stuff! Innovators. There are a few songs on the 2nd album that I like as least as much so I doubted which to pick.
Another excellent record! But in the end I had to go with Odium.
I like that one as well, especially the song Drowning Sun (a masterpiece of the highest order).
Masterpiece. If there it was a 11 best records list this would probably be my 11th placed.
This is for me the most important death metal album. I saw this band live without knowing it before and I don't think I was ever so impressed by the sheer power of both content and performance.
Another great album. It's almost unbelievable the band that's been releasing utter crap from a long time now once did this record and Maximum Violence.
Ha. I doubted between this one and Maximum Violence. The latter has more variation.
Wouldn't say it's Death Metal (as matter of fact this record is so all over the place it's really hard to pin point its genre) but here's another album I love.
Ah well, it is one I really enjoy (and I noticed the death metal tag on Wikipedia, so I could use that somewhat as an excuse ;-). I especially adore the opening track, the title track, Corrosive Elements and last but not least, the duo Glimpse into Genocide and Ripe for the Breaking. From (relatively) late Napalm Death I'm also a big fan of Enemy of the Music Business* which seems like the perfect mix of mid nineties style but also of later work on one hand, and production of earlier on the other. The stuff that came later has some sort of cold sound I'm a lesser fan of.

* the voice started to change though. I'm a fan of deep sounding Barney! His higher screaming/shouting is a poor replacement, but I still have a lot of respect for this band. Perhaps I'll see them next year for the first time.

Last edited:
I dislike Lacuna Coil. My wife would have picked Unleashed Memories or their latest album.
Great album, together with the album before that, although that was alot Paradise Lostish. I don´t like their more recent stuff either.
Not a big fan of Theatre of Tragedy either.
Aégis is in my Top 10 favourite albums, of all genres. Really beautiful melodies, angelic vocals , top notch production and all killer no filler.
re: Sengir!

Yes, we've seen Sengir at least 6 times, e.g. at various editions of Metal Female Voices Fest
I never seen them live although they were around the scene in their demo stage when I sang in a gothic metal band, we never shared the bill though.

Industrial Metal seems like a suitable genre to carry on with:

Ministry-Psalm69.jpg

Ministry - Psalm 69 (1992): Although my favorite release by Jourgensen is The Land Of Rape And Honey I must admit Psalm 69 is Ministry's album that defined their uncanny legacy to the entire genre. This is a visceral sonic attack preformed with various types of acoustic weaponry. Be it by grinding your ears to exhaustion with repetitive and hypnotic loops saturated with a crap load of samples like NWA, Corrosion or Scare Crow, passing through some insanely relentless speedsters in TV II and the psychedelic Jesus Built My Hotrod this thing still has room for some borderline Thrash influenced tunes in Hero, Just One Fix and the title track. Let there be no doubts: this thing is aggressive, toxic, over the top and overwhelming at times... like a sequence of tidal waves of adrenaline inundating your veins. And man does it accomplishes that effect in a perfect fashion!

Godflesh_Selfless.jpg

Godflesh - Selfless (1994): Unlike my previous pick this time I'll go with my personal favorite album when it comes to the band that is cited by many as the creators of the genre. Yes, Streetcleaner or Songs Of Love And Hate are much more iconic but I have a soft spot for Selfless. It opens with my favorite track from their catalogue in Xnoybis where Justin Broderick shows how gifted he is when it comes to compose songs filled with pinch harmonics and mixing mechanical aggressive stuff with almost heavenly passages. Bigot is a really dissonant and sludgy tune more in line with the previous album while Black Boned Angel brings again that amazing contrast between sludge, heaviness and soothing bright landscapes. Then the remainder of the album kinda dwells within these parameters. Besides the aforementioned tracks when it comes to slow doomy and dirty stuff Empyrial. Mantra and Body Dome Light are other excellent examples of how stunning these guys can get when injecting density in esoteric melodies while a good example of a more energetic cut is the rumbling Crush My Soul. The 24 minute long Go Spread Your Wings closes the album with various twists and turns (some even experimental/ ambiental) and such a weird, crushing, dissonant, sometimes even anesthetizing album filled with so much radiant, almost celestial moments couldn't have a better ending. Simply love this damn thing.

Fear_Factory_-_Demanufacture.jpg

Fear Factory - Demanufacture (1995): I won't say much about Demanufacture since:
A ) it's a more than well known album.
B ) if you don't know it go listen to it right know.
You may ask why. Well, because it's arguably the best album of the entire sub-genre (and I may as well concur). Introducing machine gun fast herta guitar riffs followed with nano second precisionby Herrera's triggered inhuman double bass, alongside Burton's versatile vocalizations (that vary from caustic growls to almost angelic choirs) this album is a Sci-Fi headbanger's wet dream. It drags you into broody and intense ambiances with the same easiness it the uplifts you to gorgeous melodic refrains in songs like Replica, Self Bias Resistor, Pisschrist or the jaw dropping Zero Signal (if you have seen the original Mortal Kombat movie you understand how this song sounds perfect in almost everything... yes, even in a subpar at best martial arts/ fantasy movie). It also beats you to a pulp in blasters like the title track, New Breed or Body Hammer and goes as melodic as it can get on Dog Day Sunrise's cover or the closer A Therapy For Pain. Demanufacture is a flawless monument of a record I still listen to with the same enthusiasm I did when I was 19. To sum it up: an absolute classic!

Misery_Loves_Co._%28album%29.jpg

Misery Loves Co. - Misery Loves Co. (1995): This two man act created a record that is truly an hidden gem and one of the most criminally underrated releases within its genre. There's tons of energy, excellent shouted/ melodic vocal variations, and even so these guys' sound can get really depressive and sludgy from out of nowhere only to return to big time havoc wrecking in a no time. The opener My Mind Still Speaks is heavy as bricks even when the melodic voice kicks in (sounding like a more Hardcore version of Fear Factory and is one of my favorites from the lot). But it's on neurotic tracks like Need Another One, Sonic Attack or Kiss Your Boots that the borderline acoustic bipolar disorder Misery Loves Co. really shows, mixing really miserable melodies with bursts of brutal Industrial Metal. This Is No Dream, 2 Seconds and Private Hell are blatant nods to early 90's Ministry while The Only Way is almost pure Hardcore uptempo mayhem. So if you like the genre take my word and give it a listen. You'll be blown away.

Jesus_christ_superstars_album_cover.jpg

Laibach - Jesus Christ Superstars (1996): Ah! Laibach! The Slovenian legends and founders of the Avant-garde movement Neue Slowenieche Kunst that would later deeply influence the German counterpart NDH (from which Rammstein would later rise to stardom (owing tons of their success to Milan Fras and company). Laibach have already flirted with some guitar samples since their excellent 1988 release Opus Dei (namely Brian May guitar samples from Queen's album "It's A Kind Of Magic). But in 1996 the band finally decided to make a fully distorted guitar oriented record. And with no surprise the result was breath taking since these guys can do no wrong. God Is God opens the whole thing and DAMN! The way Laibach's amazing choruses go along with the heavy rhythm guitar is simply breath taking andthis tune simply nails you to the wall. The title track follows, an "Laibachesque" adaptation of Lloyd Webber's composition but Kingdom Of God brings the heaviness and pomp back and Abuse And Confession carries on the masterful mingle of these two aspects. Declaration Of Freedom is purely raw and visceral while Message From The Black Star's probably one of the simplest yet most exciting songs in the genre I've ever listened to. The Cross is the perfect middle ground between electronics and the metal undertones while the two last tracks pull further and further from the heavy sound dwelling once again into the choir rich ambiental soundscapes the band mastered from several years now, as if they were saying "well... it was good while it lasted but now we have go back doing our own thing". Yes, because these guys don't like to do the same thing twice... And as far as I'm concerned I'm perfectly satisfied with them only threading these waters once since they did it all in this record alone at an absurdly top notch level.

Die_krupps_-_paradise_now.jpg

Die Krupps - Paradise Now (1997): Another band with a past really far from metal (rooted in EBM and Synth Pop during the 80's). During a brief period Die Krupps disbanded and Jurgen Englerworkedin a studio that some Metal bands used and thought it was a great idea to regroup Die Krupps and mix the band's old sound with some metallic edge. The rightfully named "I" album marked this renaissance in 1992 and if it's true I could pick this record or even their most successful "III - Odyssey Of The Mind" (both great records) but Paradise Now gets my vote any day of the week. Starting with the Ministry like uptempo of Moving Beyond we're then stunned by The Gods Of Void, this perfect mix between EBM synths a la Nitzer Ebb or Front Line Assembly and heavy as fuck guitars. My favorite song is the title track though: wandering through a calm yet tense well built ambiance until it explodes into an anthemic larger than life chorus. Black Beauty White Heat is more contained but also really cool. Rise Up is another groove filled EBM meets Metal engaging tune while Reconstruction is a slow grinder. As a bonus we still manage to get a cool Krupps like version of 60's hit song Fire by Arthur Brown. Overall a truly energetic and high quality album.

Rammstein_-_Sehnsucht.jpg

Rammstein - Sehnsucht (1997): Rammstein's early recipe was as simple as brilliant. Take the voice and martial pace of Laibach (they admitted it several times and it's ok... they were friends even before Rammstein were famous and Laibach was always perfectly fine with the similarities), add up some really edge cutting Clawfinger meets Ministry guitars and stir it with orchestrations mixed with Synth Pop keys. Et voilá! A true force of nature was born. And yes, I could pick their debut since it's easily on par with Sehnsucht's high quality but I think I like their sophomore a tad bit more. The title track is a powerful opener as it can be and although I'm not much into Engel, Tier puts the adreanline levels once again stupid high. And let's face it: no matter how basic Du Hast's composition is no one can deny how cleverly penned and addictive the damn song is. Buck Dich is another uptempo great tune and Spiel Mit Mir has that orchestral dark tone that Till uses so well to up his baso to baritone in a superb fashion (and so he does in Klavier). Kuss Mich is another highlight... simply gorgeous song with a powerful chorus (the cartoon tongue sounds are a bit wacky but what the hell). So yeah... when this album was released in 1997 I was already a fan when it came to Rammstein and it was truly a blaster, on the same echelon of their stellar debut. Also saw them in that tour in Lisbon in 1998 for the first time and obviously that reinforced my praise for these guys. When Mutter and Reise Reise came they where kind of a disappointments since the band lost some traits I loved (nevertheless these two albums still featuring some great tunes here and there) and sadly when it comes to almost everything they did ever since it gets me so disgusted I really prefer not to talk about it. But those two initial albums were the real thing.

Strappingyoungladcity.jpg

Strapping Young Lad - City (1997): What can be said about the ingenious yet neurotic display of anger and chaos that is City? Perhaps that the song Oh My Fucking God would be a better fitting name for the album taking in account its content. But, despite all the insanity it encapsulates, Townsend's extreme Industrial metal band sophomore release is much more than that. Check the orchestrations, layers and exquisite singing on All Hail The New Flesh, Underneath The Waves or the metal sing along verses on Detox. And then pay attention to the way how it all mingles perfectly with the megaton crushing hammer in the form of the riffs conducted in a merciless way by Gene's "Atomic Clock" pounding. This thing is dense, saturating, yet it's peppered with gems all over the place. And really unique gems because no one (and I literally mean NO ONE) composes music like Devin Townsend does. I'm not saying he's better or worst... just has his unique thing. Then there's Room 429's cover and is that thing haunting yet beautiful at the same time! City may be the product of a guy going insane (while addicted to lots of crap that isn't quite helping) but even so the absolute sonic neutron mega bomb this album is (and the almost alien like way its wiring is done) is simply out of this world. And although I'm really happy for Dev for stepping out of this state of mind... well... at least he produced this masterpiece (and others) while in the eye of the storm. Absurdly off the charts stuff when it comes to uniqueness, quality and heaviness.

R-908432-1171674146.jpeg.jpg

Bizarra Locomotiva - Bestiário (1998): So here is BL, my fellow countrymen. And let me tell you... been a fan since their first album in 1994 and these guys rule! Seriously, I put them on the same level of almost every top class Industrial rock act out there. Their previous two albums already had some stellar momments and songs (Apêndices, Fear Now, Falso Movimento, Ultraviolência) but with the excellent addition of Miguel Fonseca on guitars, main composer Armando Teixeira had now a great song creating ally (since singer Rui Sidónio was solely the lyrics man). After a noise filled intro, Câmara Ardente (Vigil Service) comes crawling in with this calm, almost Trip Hop feel to it until it unfolds into a muscular chorus with Sidónio unleashing his roaring power. Gato Do Asfalto (Alphalt Cat) marks the beginning of the concept Bestiário (Bestiary) is all about: animals serving as metaphors of aspects of human kind as vices. And dwelling on illegal road races and its victims Gato Do Asfalto is truly heavy and engaging with a really odd yet addictive time signature. Cavalo Alado (Flying Horse) is another monster song. Its stomping gallop takes no prisoners, a song about heroin addiction (horse is slang for heroin in Portuguese). Speaking of highlights you have Grifos De Deus (Griffins Of God) with its apocalyptyc ambiance (dealing with religious manipulation) or Minotauro (Minotaur) a diatribe on the cruelty of bull fighting. Finnaly I must single out O Escaravelho (The Sacarab, this one dealing with IA, I guess), a song with such a tension and following gigantic groovy riff that, if it doesn't make your head bang from the moment it kicks in you better check your pulse. To sum it up: near perfect album that only seems to get better with time.

Samael_Reign_Of_Light.jpg

Samael - Reign Of Light (2004): I forgot to count how many times Samael was featured in my lists but I dare to say it's neither the first nor the second time. And although I truly love the band I'm not a super fan by any stretch. So I can only think about one fair explanation for this and it's the eclectic vein of the Swiss collective. And although Reign Of Light still has a fair amount of Symphonic elements (and sometimes even bits of world music) this time Vorph and Xy went for a more modern and mechanized style. Moongate opens up with some middle eastern licks before the main riff kicks in and then the vocals take the lead. And behold... what Vorph is doing may be mistaken with rapping (when taking in account the speed and monotone pitch) but in all honesty his voice is serving as the mechanized wire as the melody resounds all around. It all flows into a glorious chorus like only these dudes can pull. Inch'Allah threads perfectly that line between Industrial metal and orchestral flavor once again... and behold: another gorgeous chorus. A simple yet edgier guitar riffage alongside some cool samples and once again world music arrangements can be heard on the tittle track while the triumphal On Earth is more on the Symphonic side of Samael. But it's when it comes to the advance single Telepath that things get really interesting. It seems like a duel between Industrial Rock on the verses/ refrain and orchestrations on the pre chorus (there's even some horns sections back in the mix). Love it! Finally I must single out As The Sun, such an excellent song that if it was sang by Trent Reznor it wouldn't sound out of place on an early Nine Inch Nails album. So there you have it: another one of my favorite Samael records (BTW the lyrics are truly uplifting) and perhapsthe band's most accessible album. Featuring less metalized guitars and a cleaner vocal approach while having a more Industrial rock feel it but never forgetting their blueprint. Strongly recomend it.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I can't contribute much to this one. I like a few Fear Factory and Rammstein songs but I've never been eager to get any of their albums, let alone play a full album of these bands. Well, I probably heard Demanufacture in full. Impressive album, and maybe less industrial sounding than what I associate with this genre. Certainly has its own style.

Groove and Industrial metal aren´t my cup of metal tea either. But then again, I´m not fond of the more extreme stuff like death or black either.

Folk Metal time:

Orphaned_Land_-_Sahara.jpg

Orphaned Land: Sahara (1994): Debut album by Israeli Folk Metal veterans and man when this came out it was a breeze of fresh air. Mixing a multitude of middle eastern folk traits with their Melodic Death Metal meets some Goth Metal here and there, besides its exotic aftertaste Orphaned Land have a bias for long, involving tunes that bet as much of their money on ambiance as on musicality. Strongly recommend it, especially tracks like Sahara's Storm, Ornaments Of Gold or Orphaned Land, The Storm Still Rages Inside.

TalesFromTheThousandLakes.jpg

Amorphis - Tales From The Thousand Lakes (1994): We all knew this one was coming. Amorphis' mix of Melodic Death Metal, 70's synths and a ton of Nordic Folk influences based on the Kalevala (the ultimate compilation of Finnish traditional songs and tales) took the world by storm in the mid 90's. And although I consider somewhat of an exaggeration all the success it bred (especially its single Black Winter's Day which I detest) there's no denial that "Tales" is a really well toiled record with some stellar tracks. Strongly Folk prone tunes like The Castaway and Magic And Mayhem are both superb songs. In the Beginning's vocal duel between Tomi's growls and Ville's excellent clean voice (damn this guy did sing... I miss Kyyria) upon the powerful yet melodic chords is also a highlight but nothing here compares to the excellence of Drowned Maid (what a song!). Overall a really good album and one that really made some noise in the metal community back in the day.

Ulver-kveldssanger.jpg

Ulver - Kveldssanger (1995): It's true that Ulver's debut had a considerable amount of folk traits on their Black Metal but what they did on Kveldssanger was shocking to say the least (and not in a negative way). To put it simple, the band's sophomore is made of almost 100% short Norwegian folk songs. Besides drums, percussion and acoustic guitars the only instruments used are cello and flutes. And what can I say about those choirs (fortunately an element present at almost every song)? Man... from the opener Østenfor Sol Og Vestenfor Måne and following Ord you get absolutely mesmerized by how haunting yet beautiful they sound. Other two highlights are the desolate Kledt I Nattens Farger and closer Ulvsblakk. Although sounding amateurish here and there this record is a gem. To have the balls and vision at such a young age before a normally hostile and narrow minded fan base (90's Norwegian Black Metal fans) and creating such an ambiance with so little resources was the confirmation Ulver was something else and were destined to huge flights.

Irrationalanthems.jpg

Skyclad - Irrational Anthems (1996): Now I pondered to include here their 1991's debut (for establishing the genre for the 90's) or Folkemon (since it's probably my favorite). But I must admit Irrational Anthems is perhaps the band's purest recording when it comes to the genre. Tracks such as Inequality Street, Penny Dreadful, History Lessens or No Deposit No Return (besides being astonishing tunes) are the perfect middle point between British Folk and Metal in an equilibrium like Walkyier and company never achieved before or after. Plus we still have somewhat of an aftertaste of Sabbat on The Wrong Song (its thrashing is somewhat watered down but still sounds stellar). Great album, really accessible and full of hooks that will stick to your head from the get go.

Redemption_at_the_Puritan%27s_Hand.jpg

Primordial - Redemption At The Puritans Hand (2011): Speaking of Celtic folk metal Primordial is also a must include here. And once again I could have included the band's first full length (without shadow of doubt the most folk like) or Spirit The Earth Aflame. And if I didn't picked To The Nameless Fallen already on my Black Metal list (my undisputed #1) it would be here. With that said I'm going to show some love to the album that came after it, a record that is frequently forgotten and underrated but might as well be my second favorite from the Irish collective. Starting with the fast pace onslaught of No Grave Deep Enough, "Redemption" then flows into the majestic melodies of Lain With The Wolf (wow... what a track) and the parade of stunning tracks continues with the initially quiet Bloodied Yet Unbound where later folk guitars give way to blast beats and double bass without a single passage sounding out of place. Every damn song here is excellent (with room for a heavy brute bouncing on God's Snake) but I must single two more songs: both Death Of The Gods and The Mouth Of Judas are superb epic Celtic folk metal compendiums. Overall a stunning album and in my book one of Primordial's finest efforts.

400x400bb.jpg

Muluc Pax - Kaan (Suut Ki'in pt.2) (2011): Hailing from Mexico Muluc Pax is a Death/ Groove band that mixes some Aztec tribal elements in their sound here and there and was based strongly about the extinct central American empire legends and history. To be fair Suut Ki'in is a twin album. The first record under the name of Balam is more generic and more into their traditional sound: Death/ Groove sang in English with a tad bit of native influences. Now Kaan, the second record, is something totally different. The distorted guitars mark their presence strongly but this time they serve as topping because the bulk of this cake is Aztec native percussion, pan flutes and you can almost feel the scent of the rain forest while listening to this thing. With all lyrics and titles in native language (BTW only one of them has vocals) this record is an excellent mix of influences that left my jaw open. And will leave yours too if you open your mind open and let yourself go on this journey. Unique.

Enki-Limited-Edition-DGP.jpg

Melechesh - Enki (2015): Second Israeli band on this list and the second time Melechesh is featured on my lists. And like Primordial I placed my favorite album from their catalogue (Emissaries) in my Black Metal list. So, let's place here my second favorite: Enki. Once again the band manages to brew an excellent mix of Black Metal with middle eastern Folk, always versing on ancient Sumerian legends. And Tempest Temper Enlil Enraged shows the band pulling both the main traits of their sound to the extreme: high speed blast beats alongside amazing arabesque guitar harmonies. In The Pendulum Speaks the band slows down without letting go of their intensity or their exquisite melodies and the same works for Multiple Truths (damn this song is gorgeous in its simplicity). Lost Tribes brings us a bit more of double bass and an unexpected vocal cameo by none other than Max Cavalera. And what to say about the groove of The Palm The Eye And Lapis Lazuli? Not content these guys wrap the whole thing with a pompous mid tempo crusher by the name of The Outsiders. Make no mistake: Melechesh are unique regarding the mastery of how the build their craft and Enki is one of their best creations.

41fl2DMtfdL._SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Jambinai - Hermitage (2016): Jambinai come from South Korea and man are these dudes outside the box. To begin with they have a Post Rock background but are prone to severe experimental incursions with distortion and Korean folk (otherwise they wouldn't be on this list). Besides the more known string instruments Haegeum and Geomungo, these guys also use other far eastern hardware I've never heard about. And to be fair they come out blasting with both noise and traditional instruments in a frenzy in the heavy as hell opener The Wardrobe. And the onslaught continues with Echo Of Creation where both traditional string section alongside some eerie Korean trumpets mesh perfectly with a Godflesh like pinch harmonic riff... simply brutal! Speaking of eerie what to say about the ambiance on The Abyss? Let me tell you: this record is as challenging as addictive. To close the record Jambinai release a Post Metal beast filled with traditional flavor all over in They Keep Silence (which they made a clip of and that's how I managed to know the band). It starts slowly as a mantra with the Geomungo and Bass leading the way and after several atempts the monster caged within this tune finally releases itself in a crescendo. So to put it simple: these guys are as good as unique. Give it a try if you want something really outside the box that doesn't sound extremely experimental.

Myrkur%2C_Mareridt_Album_Cover.jpg

Myrkur - Mareridt (2017): Another record I love that left Black Metal elitists triggered (fact that made me like it even more). Let me put things clear: I don't give a damn what other projects and genres artists played before... If I like it, I like it. Period. That being said Amelie Bruun's pop rock albums are also really good (damn that song Sirens sticks to your hear). So it's no surprise she easily managed to pull excellent tunes while crossing Black Metal and Folk because this Danish girl is no joke: she realy knows how to compose. After the tense and brief title track Maneblot explodes and the women goes full shrieking mode. But it's when she returns to her angelical tone and that guitar harmony lands upon the insuing chaos that this thing made me jump out of my seat. And the way it all flows into the folk part... man... crazy good! Speaking of which The Serpent sounds like something Ihsahn would do in a recent album (and the mere fact I compare it to Ihsahn's work speaks volumes of how awesome I think the track is). And that's it: the rest of the album is a parade of stellar tracks, either by soothing us in a dark and cold embrace (The Crown, De Tre Piker, Gladiatrix or Funeral alongside the also ultra talented Chelsea Wolfe) or by slashing up our senses with bitter frost nordic folk clad Black Metal (like on Elleskudt or Ulvinde). As far as I'm concerned one of the best releases in its genre in decades.

a2065658995_10.jpg

Negura Bunget - Zau (2021): After the superb Zi one could expect Negura Bunget's next release would pale a bit besides such a strong predecessor. But no... these damn Romanians seem hell bent to continue their spree of mind blowing albums. Brad' 15 plus minutes opens the whole thing in a totally atmospheric and soothing fashion that not even the growls at the middle of the song seem to disrupt (and the dream like melodies at the end are top notch). Iarba Fiarelor is amazing... after a somewhat long flute intro this hugely epic section filled with keyboards arises until it erupts into a great Symphonic Black Death section and the end of the track is simply perfect. Among the highlights there's also Toaca Din Cer, a 11 plus minute monument featuring excellent percussion passages and somewhere in the middle there's this monster riff with a absolutely spine chilling flute. So what can I say? Zau is another slam dunk by Negura Bunget, a band that not only conquered their place as one of the most unique metal acts but seems to get better and better with time.

Last edited:
Now seriously... if you wish so, suggest some other genre. I've already have lists for:
  • Grindcore
  • Crossover
  • Stoner
  • Post Metal
  • Sludge
  • Alternative Metal
But if you want to bring another one to the table I would appreciate it :)

I don’t have 10 folk metal albums, because my taste in folk metal leans much more toward equal parts folk and metal with clean vocals, while the majority of what gets called folk metal appears to be black or death metal with a fiddle slapped on it. But I’ll share the ones on my list, in alphabetical order:

Aegonia - The Forgotten Song (2019)

This melancholy folk metal band from Bulgaria delivered a thoughtful, well-crafted concept album for their debut. There’s a mix of extreme and clean vocals, but the extreme vocals aren’t abrasive (they’re more like a husky whisper). Lots of extended musical interludes create a great atmosphere.

Ball Noir - Lost Serenades (2017)

The sophomore album from this Dutch folk metal band strikes the perfect balance between folk and metal, incorporating harp, hurdy-gurdy, and bass clarinet alongside the electric guitars. The vocals are almost entirely clean, and the music is consistently haunting and catchy.

Crescent Lament - 噤夢 Land Of Lost Voices (2020) (review)

The third full length album from Taiwanese gothic folk metal band Crescent Lament combines a lush array of Asian folk instruments (erhu, suona, xiao) and melodic structures with western symphonic metal stylings, female lead vocals, and great songwriting.

LEAH - The Quest (2018)

Lush symphonic folk metal with a Celtic twist (think Enya meets Evanescence). The songs aren’t afraid to go soft, but they’re also not afraid to break into blistering guitar solos. The entire album is great.

Skyclad - The Answer Machine? (1997) (review)

The Answer Machine? was what I’d always hoped folk metal would sound like. Lush arrangements that let all of the instruments contribute, whether they’re acoustic or electric; nice dynamics with softer and heavier sections; different time signatures and song structures without getting too proggy. Also, even though Martin Walkyier is never going to win any singing contests, giving him the room to breathe and sing in his natural voice instead of always being in a thrashy scowl does wonders for the music and makes it easier to understand and appreciate the wonderful pun- and wit-filled lyrics.

Skyclad - The Answer Machine? (1997) (review)

The Answer Machine? was what I’d always hoped folk metal would sound like. Lush arrangements that let all of the instruments contribute, whether they’re acoustic or electric; nice dynamics with softer and heavier sections; different time signatures and song structures without getting too proggy. Also, even though Martin Walkyier is never going to win any singing contests, giving him the room to breathe and sing in his natural voice instead of always being in a thrashy scowl does wonders for the music and makes it easier to understand and appreciate the wonderful pun- and wit-filled lyrics.
Great album (like almost every Skyclad album up to Folkemon). Eirenarch and Fainting By Numbers are utter class.

Reactions: Jer
the majority of what gets called folk metal appears to be black or death metal with a fiddle slapped on it
... or not :) . Four albums from my list are totally devoid of it (Skyclad, Jambinai, Muluc Pax and Ulver) and on other two the extreme vocals are almost absent (Primordial's and Myrkur's). Even the other ones are almost 50/ 50 (or more) when it comes to clean singing with the exception of Melechesh.

Now seriously... if you wish so, suggest some other genre. I've already have lists for:
  • Grindcore
  • Crossover
  • Stoner
  • Post Metal
  • Sludge
  • Alternative Metal
What about the less heavier side of the hardrock/metal spectrum?

• Grindcore
  • Crossover
  • Stoner
  • Post Metal
  • Sludge
  • Alternative Metal
I guess most has already been adressed.
For me that is, of course.

Perhaps I could drop a Napalm Death in grind, but other than that I think I have distributed my favourite metal(ish)/prog rock(ish) bands enough.
Maybe some of your lists will give me an "of course!" moment.

Back