10 favorite records from each metal genre (one per band).

Solitude Aeturnus - Into the Depths of Sorrow (1991)
Great, great album! Should be at my honorable mentions.

Ahab - The Call of the Wretched Sea (2006)
Also a really cool one.

Anathema - The Silent Enigma (1995)
Amazing record but this one will show up later in a genre I think it fits better (although it has its fair share of Doom so IMO it's ok for it to be at this list)

Most of my favourite death metal(ish) albums are melodic. The borders between these sub-sub genres are not easy to define.
But I'll be a profiteer and spread some albums by the same band over several categories.
Well I may suggest you make your Melodic Death Metal list since it's a genre you're really into (no rushes). If then you have enough "non melodic" Death Metal records for a list go for it! If not don't be sad... you can either skip it or even repeat some albums from the Melodic Death Metal list. Whatever suits you better. :)

Great, great album! Should be at my honorable mentions.
Cheers. To be frank, I could not choose well between this and the next. I need to give them more time to decide.
Also a really cool one.
I do not play it enough, but memorable enough when I first heard it!

Amazing record but this one will show up later in a genre I think it fits better (although it has its fair share of Doom so IMO it's ok for it to be at this list)
If I knew what would be coming, it would be easier to take into account with it. But no prob, I can still change the lists.
My toxic elitist fan take: "Booooooooooooo! True Candlemass is with Langqvist or Lowe. Let Marcolin return to the convent!" ehehehehheh :D :D :D :D
O no. Messiah was not only the best doom vocalist, but also one of the best in metal overall to have ever set foot on earth! :D

Well I may suggest you make your Melodic Death Metal list since it's a genre you're really into (no rushes). If then you have enough "non melodic" Death Metal records for a list go for it! If not don't be sad... you can either skip it or even repeat some albums from the Melodic Death Metal list. Whatever suits you better. :)
We'll see what happens! E.g. some albums can be categorized in both doom and death metal. I'll probably utilize this topic to mention albums I like and drop them somewhere (still sincerely trying to pay attention to what is asked!).

Doom Metal:

Temptation's Wings - Skulthor Ebonblade (2017)
hqdefault.jpg

Scald - Will of Gods Is a Great Power (1997)
R-5024094-1523294012-4859.jpeg.jpg

Sleep - Dopesmoker (2003)
R-3995148-1351734451-5375.jpeg.jpg

Megaton Sword - Niralet (2019)
R-14411743-1614205510-2447.jpeg.jpg

Swampcult - The Festival (2016)
R-9065395-1474162370-8091.jpeg.jpg

Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus (1986)
Candlemass-album-epicus-doomicus-metalicus.jpg

Pentagram - Pentagram (Relentless) (1982/1985/1993)
R-752267-1441550392-4403.jpeg.jpg

Black Sabbath - Paranoid (1970)
R-696772-1389622198-5735.jpeg.jpg

Only had 7 albums to think of, turns out I don't listen to a lot of doom metal.

Only had 7 albums to think of, turns out I don't listen to a lot of doom metal.
Taking in account your picks go for Trouble, Solitude Aeturnus, Saint Vitus, Cathedral, Witchfinder General and Om (the other project from Al Cisneros and Chris Hiakus from Sleep... less repetitive and heavy but a bit more post/space rock and even ethnic. Their latest album Advaitic Songs is crazy good).

Taking in account your picks go for Trouble, Solitude Aeturnus, Saint Vitus, Cathedral, Witchfinder General and Om (the other project from Al Cisneros and Chris Hiakus from Sleep... less repetitive and heavy but a bit more post/space rock and even ethnic. Their latest album Advaitic Songs is crazy good).

Oh shoot, I was going to put the Trouble self titled on there from 1990 or so. I love that album. Solitude Aeturnus and Saint Vitus have been on my radar for awhile now, I'll have to check them out (and the rest of Trouble's catalog). I've heard good things about Om too. I also gave Cathedral a try a few years ago but they decidedly weren't my style. Thanks for the recommendations!

The Call of the Wretched Sea isn’t just a masterpiece of doom metal, it’s easily one of the finest albums of all time. But you’ve heard that from me before, lol.

Melodic death metal? Not really sure what it is, but I’ll give it a go:

Wintersun - Wintersun
Ensiferum - Iron
Finntroll - Nattfödd
Children of bodom - Are you dead yet
Amorphis - Tales from the thousand lakes
In flames - Colony
Soilwork - Natural born chaos

Last edited:
Melodic death metal:

Amorphis - Tales from the Thousands Lakes (1994)
220px-TalesFromTheThousandLakes.jpg

At the Gates - Terminal Spirit Disease (1994)
220px-Terminal-spirit.jpg

In Flames - The Jester Race (1996)
220px-In_Flames-The_Jester_Race.jpg

Gates of Ishtar - The Dawn of Flames (1997)
1638553742910.jpeg

Septic Flesh - Ophidian Wheel (1997)
Septicflesh-ophidian_wheel.jpg

Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder (1997)
220px-Hatebreeder.jpg

Soilwork - The Chainheart Machine (2000)
220px-Chainheartcuver.jpg

Her Enchantment - Darkest (2005)
1638553799661.jpeg

Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress (2006)
220px-Pitchblackprogress.jpg

The Arcane Order - The Machinery of Oblivion (2006)
1638553852234.jpeg

Yes, but the solos and riffs on this album are really something as well. \m/
It's the chorus of the title track that stood out to me - the most singalong the album gets from my recollection. I am very fond of the title track to Verkligheten as well.

Next let's get a bit less heavier and go into some Hard Rock:

BlueCheerVincebusEruptum.jpg

Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum (1968): What better way to begin with the pounding bluesy Hard Rock jewel that is Blue Cheer's debut? Man is this thing uplifting yet heavy as bricks! Ironically the song that better shows what these guys are all about is Eddie Cochran's version of Summertime Blues . The band totally made the song their own, filling it with a wall of fuzzy distortion and semi tribal percussion upon which Dickie Peterson's (RIP) amazing voice resounded. And if any doubt is left of how intense Blue Cheer's debut was just check tunes like Parchment Farm, Doctor Please or Second Time Around. Another classic for the ages.

Jimi_Hendrix_-_Electric_Ladyland.jpg

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland (1968): What can I say about the third and (sadly) last album of this legend that already hasn't been said? First it is my undisputed favorite from Mr. Hendrix's catalogue. Then it has its fair share of psychedelia and funky vibes, but it's when the guitar master turns on his pedal on harsh classics like Crosstown Traffic, Voodoo Child (Slight Return), All Along The Watchtower, Still Raining Still Dreaming and especially the perfection that is 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be) that this whole thing gives me goosebumps. RIP, guitar wizard. Your legacy is huge.

MC5_-_Kick_Out_the_Jams.jpg

MC5 - Kick Out The Jams (1969): Now who knows this band and especially this live record knows how their energy's off the charts even for today's standards. Opening with a hilarious cover of Ramblin' Rose (much thanks to Rob Tyner' voice - RIP) Wayne Kramer and company then embark in one of the most visceral displays of Hard Rock/ Heavy Blues in music history. Stuff Like Kick Out The Jams, Rocket reducer Nº 62, Come Together, Starship and Borderline are way ahead of their time when it comes to how much harder they rocked than anything else done till then.

Led_Zeppelin_-_Led_Zeppelin_II.jpg

Led Zeppelin - II (1969): As far as I'm concerned Zepp is mandatory in any Hard Rock list and their sophomore is IMO the best among many amazing records (with the self tittled album and Houses Of The Holy close behind). And once again what else can I say about this masterpiece. The insanely intense opener that is Whole Lotta Love shows immediately how sharp are Page, Plant, Paul Jones and Bonham (RIP) and what they came for. Yes there are some calm tracks like the folky and extremely beautiful Ramble On but IMO alongside it's on muscular rock builds like the opener, Heartbreaker, Living Loving Maid or even the sludgy The Lemon Song that this record really shines. Not to mention every drummer's wet dream on Moby Dick. this album is a masterpiece and 100% deserves all the hype and universal praise it gets.

Deep_Purple_in_Rock.jpg

Deep Purple - In Rock (1970): IMO an Hard Rock best of without Deep Purple is pure nonsense. And while loving Machine Head I think In Rock was the album that set the tone fort what the band would be known for. Speed King comes ripping heads from the get go (what a blast of a song!) followed by the sleazy groove of Bloodsucker. Next comes the classic masterpiece that is Child In Time with Lord's (RIP) keyboard setting the ambiance while Gillan proves why he is probably the best voice ever in the genre. Also great notes for another addictive groove in closer Living Wreck. The only downside was leaving Black Night out but, besides future editions fixing that mistake, that alone can never tarnish how legendary this album is.

Rockarollareissue.JPG

Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla (1974): First of screw the original lame cover! I'll go with the re-issue one that is a top notch illustration for a Hard Rock album. Then let me tell you the real reason why this record isn't more revered and sometimes even regarded as an ugly duckling. It's true Rob, KK, Glen and Ian were still looking for their own sound while being too much influenced by Deep Purple and constricted by what the record company felt should be their go to sound, but I think the major reason Rocka Rolla is disregarded is because the band went and released a spree of 5 of arguably the most iconic metal albums ever (btw RIP John Hinch). Nonetheless songs like Never Satisfied, One For The Ride, the trilogy of Winter/ Deep Freeze/ Winter Retreat and of course the title track are unjustifiably underrated Hard Rock treasures brought by the genius when it comes to the genre. .

Roky_Erickson_-_The_Evil_One_original_album_cover.jpg

Roky Erickson and The Aliens - The Evil One (1981): This record by Mister Erickson (RIP) is really a blaster. Heavily based on horror imaginary sure there is lot of classic rock on this bad boy and I must admit the majority is even a bit half baked. But it's when Roky goes heavier like on tracks such as Sputnik, Bloody Hammer, White Faces, The Wind And More, Night Of The Vampire or the superb Two Headed Dog that this damn thing makes your blood boil. And when it comes to these tracks this record is as insane and unique as it is exciting.

Joe_Satriani_Surfing_With_the_Alien.jpg

Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien (1987): I've never had much patience for guitar virtuoso instrumental albums but somehow this dude Satch is simply special. One reason why is surely the multitude of landscapes he offers. Either by beautiful and sometimes even introspective songs like Always With Me Always With You, Echo and Circles, by groove filled takes like Satch Boogie and Ice 9 or simply by straight ahead rockers like the tile track or the amazing Crushing Day, Joe Satriani always keeps us nailed to every single note. And that's because unlike many of his virtuoso pairs he doesn't writes music just in order for him to display his skills. Each track is really song directed. It just happens that Satch is such a genius he always finds a way to make his display of guitar playing magic lie perfectly upon each one of his compositions. A fan since I first listened to it when it came out and still am for this is surely a cornerstone when it comes to the genre.

The_Cult-Electric_%28album_cover%29.jpg

The Cult - Electric (1987): Now The Cult is one of my favorite bands ever (if not the favorite) and Love is my favorite album. And while Electric is almost a U turn on their DNA I don't mind it a bit since it widened the band's horizons, turning them into one of the most chameleonic acts in rock. Plus the album is simply superb and by all means a classic. It happens that the band wasn't satisfied with the first sketches of the soon to be third album (under the title work Peace) that were much in line with sonority of the previous records (these recordings were later released and I pretty much love them but hey... if it had to go down for Electric to exist so be it). So they hired Rick Rubin and went into a mix of their Doors legacy with 70's AC/DC. The result is what we know today: a solid ball of raw hard rock with hymns such as Wild Flower, Peace Dog. Lil' Devil, Electric Ocean, Love Removal Machine and Outlaw. With classic written all over it this is one of Rock's mandatory records.

Queensryche_-_Empire_cover.jpg

Queensryche - Empire (1990): Once known more for their brand of Heavy Metal and later Prog Metal, Queensryche took a lighter approach on their sixth album. But don't let that fool you: besides having a fairly heavy tune (and a superb one) on the tittle track this new approach by DeGarmo and the band manages to reach excellence in pure hard rock songs like Best I Can, The Thin Line, Della Brown and the awesome ballad that is Silent Lucidity (Tate's voice here is just bonkers). Jet City Woman is also a well penned track within the genre. And while the rest is kinda meh, my highlights go to the last two songs where the band get a tad bit of their previous album's prog flavor in One And Only and Anybody Listening?: two utter masterpieces. Empire is an album truly based in hard rock but it is so well done that it was unanimously acclaimed in an era where the other Seattle young bloods were on the rise and 80's hard rock was considered worst than the plague. That alone speaks volumes on how amazing this record is.

Last edited:
Hard Rock time! First, a disclaimer - my choices will be biased towards more recent music, as I'm hoping we may also get a Classic Rock round down the line

The Night Flight Orchestra - Internal Affairs
R-4462912-1365557614-9672.jpeg.jpg

The Night Flight Orchestra is my second favourite band of all time (behind Maiden, of course) and any of their albums would have fit here. I chose their debut, Internal Affairs, because it is harder and more progressive than their recent work.

The Noora Louhimo Experience - Eternal Wheel Of Time And Space
1638596789288.jpeg

The debut solo album from the lead singer of Battle Beast, Eternal Wheel Of Time And Space feels somewhat like a heavier Janis Joplin (Indeed, one of the tracks here is a cover of her). One of my recommendations for album of the year; not a single weak track here.

Halestorm - The Strange Case Of
Halsetrom_Strange_Case.jpg

A very poppy album, but I don't mean that as a bad thing. This album manages to reel off catchy singalong tracks one after the other. When all three of the bonus tracks are as good as they are here, you know you're in for a treat.

Disturbed - Indestructible
1638597436909.jpeg

I like most of the stuff Disturbed put out (and I'm not ashamed to admit it) but this was their peak, in my opinion. A great, cohesive sound all the way through, and the band knows how to do a massive chorus.

Allen Lande - The Revenge
1638598221397.jpeg
In the early 2010s, Magnus Karlsson (sadly distinct from the chess player) paired up with Russell Allen and Jorn Lande, releasing 4 albums of melodic hard rock songs. The Revenge is my pick of the bunch.

The Darkness - Permission To Land
1638598539761.jpeg

The debut album from The Darkness is their strongest, in my opinion, though Last Of Our Kind comes close. It gets the excess and theatricality of Meat Loaf in a more straightforward, digestible package. Speaking of which...

Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell
1638597961972.jpeg

Bat Out Of Hell is a perfect album. All of the tracks are ridiculously, gloriously excessive - there are no weak links. This was the gateway album to heavy metal for me, as my Dad played it a lot.

Deep Purple - Machine Head
1638598388962.jpeg

The obligatory Deep Purple inclusion.

Blue Oyster Cult - Heaven Forbid
1638598737722.jpeg
Sorry, I couldn't be bothered to figure out how to type the Umlauts. I'm not sure if this is the first BOC album that comes to mind for many people, but for me it's the most consistent.

Eric Johnson - Ah Via Musicom
220px-Eric_Johson_Ah_Via_Musicom.jpg

I am not usually into instrumental songs, but there's something about this album that's special - and I don't just mean Cliffs of Dover!

Hard Rock (Not in particular order)
I will include 10 bands who are not fit in Metal but they are powerful Rock full of energy with lot of wild guitar solos and amazing albums.

Montrose - Montrose (1973)

MONTROSE1.jpg

Deep Purple - In Rock (1970)

Deep Purple - 1970 - In Rock - Uk.jpg

UFO - Lights Out (1977)

UFOLightsOutalbumcover.jpg

Thin Lizzy - Johnny the Fox (1977)

Thin_Lizzy_-_Johnny_the_Fox.jpg

AC/DC - Flick of the Switch (1983)

Ac-dc_Flick_of_the_Switch.JPG

Motörhead - Overkill (1979)

folder.jpg

The Cult - Sonic Temple (1989)

1989 - Sonic Temple 01.jpg

Y&T - Earthshaker (1981)

220px-YtearthshakerAP.JPG

Gillan - Double Trouble (1981)

Double_Trouble_-_Gillan.jpg

The Dead Daisies - Holy Ground (2021)

8129irTdIhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'm not a fan of wanting to make a distinguishment between hard rock and metal. At some point, it just got a little heavier although The Beatles' Helter Skelter is heavier than many songs on many metal albums (and the term for the same thing changed over time; some bands wanted to use the new term, others not). But I'll try to play the game nonetheless. It is a good reason for mentioning more albums. :)
Still, when progressive metal comes on, I'm not into that many different bands, so I rather add in some progressive rock albums as well (1970s and 1980s), which of course have (also) influenced (progressive) metal bands.

Hard rock:

Jethro Tull – Stand Up (1969)
220px-JethroTull-albums-standup.jpg

Golden Earring – Eight Miles High (1969)
220px-Golden_Earring_-_Eight_Miles_High.jpg

The Who - Quadrophonia (1973)
220px-Quadrophenia_%28album%29.jpg

Judas Priest – Rocka Rolla (1974)
220px-Rocka_Rolla_%28Judas_Priest_album%29.jpg

Rainbow – On Stage (1977)
220px-Rainbow-onstage.jpg

Kiss – Alive II (1977)
220px-Alive_2_cover.jpg

Samson – Head On (1980)
220px-Samson_head_on.jpg

Magnum – The Eleventh Hour! (1983)
220px-Magnum_-_The_Eleventh_Hour.jpg

Guns N’ Roses – Appetite for Destruction (1987)
220px-GunsnRosesAppetiteforDestructionalbumcover.jpg

Rush – Counterparts (1993)
220px-Rush_Counterparts.jpg

Last edited:
Back