Bruce Dickinson

Seeing the video above strongly underlined why I've longed for more live performances of Bruce's solo material. Ah the grandeur!

He nails the Purple classics as well, of course! I've always loved the way he tackles the chorus of Perfect Strangers.:wub: Soldier of Fortune is a very interesting addition.

surprised to see that noone mentioned that Bruce started his tour today with the orchestra doing Jon Lord's concerto and other songs from DP and his solo... i'll be seeing the show this weekend in sofia. here is Jerusalem with orchestra:

It sounds great. Bruce! Thanks for sharing. Here's a bit of Tears Of The Dragon. The Purple songs sounds great too, of course.

It's curious if he does a solo tour he will play ''Jerusalem'', ''Tears Of The Dragon'' is certain. Two challenging songs.

The wizard himself:
bruce.jpg
bruce(2).png
:p
Seeing the video above strongly underlined why I've longed for more live performances of Bruce's solo material. Ah the grandeur!

Soldier of Fortune is a very interesting addition.
Yes! I'm interested in hearing Soldier Of Fortune with Bruce.

surprised to see that noone mentioned that Bruce started his tour today with the orchestra doing Jon Lord's concerto and other songs from DP and his solo... i'll be seeing the show this weekend in sofia. here is Jerusalem with orchestra:

Thanks for sharing! Very good, although I am not totally convinced by the orchestral arrangement.

I cannot wait to see him do this show in the UK.

İ

He nails the Purple classics as well, of course! I've always loved the way he tackles the chorus of Perfect Strangers.:wub: Soldier of Fortune is a very interesting addition.
randalf, soldier of fortune is not in the list ç, where have heard that from?

randalf, soldier of fortune is not in the list ç, where have heard that from?

I posted that well before I got to know the final setlist, under the impression that Soldier of Fortune would be featured (as it was mentioned in the speculation/rumours earlier as a very potential, even likely inclusion), but yeah, apparently it wasn't there in the end. :D

Bruce said in a video (filmed by a fan so I'm not posting it becasue it has personal info) that was shared by a fan page that he played drums for the first time on his new solo album and he can only play bongos(!), and that was very hard. Interesting. Tribal sound?

In addition, Roy replied this to a fan question about the album: ''It’s all happening really. Stay tuned''. :yey:

Bruce said in a video (filmed by a fan so I'm not posting it becasue it has personal info) that was shared by a fan page that he played drums for the first time on his new solo album and he can only play bongos(!), and that was very hard. Interesting. Tribal sound?

In addition, Roy replied this to a fan question about the album: ''It’s all happening really. Stay tuned''. :yey:
"Stay tuned..."

FOR MORE STAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think the orchestral arrangement suits ''Jerusalem''. ''Tears Of The Dragon'', not really.
This is one of those things that you have to experience live, not over YT.
I skimmed a few clips from first night and not a single clip had remotely the same sound, especially considering orchestra.
It hard to "translate" this types of concerts into audio, I believe that hearing this live with full orchestra impact sounds quite different.

Bruce has much greater control and strength in his voice in those videos than he did last year with Maiden. Hopefully it carries on for The Future Past tour.
I have long thought that Maiden is not the best vehicle for Bruces voice and that the world has been a little denied the true majesty of his voice in the 18yrs since his last solo album. Singing voice, I mean, not speaking voice, the world has endured plenty of that.

Although I suppose that for every 100 people that will listen to him struggle on Aces High, maybe only 10 will listen to him blow their tits off with Jerusalem.

I have long thought that Maiden is not the best vehicle for Bruces voice and that the world has been a little denied the true majesty of his voice in the 18yrs since his last solo album. Singing voice, I mean, not speaking voice, the world has endured plenty of that.

Although I suppose that for every 100 people that will listen to him struggle on Aces High, maybe only 10 will listen to him blow their tits off with Jerusalem.

Wise words my friend, wise words.

Bruce is a fantastic singer, but I think the exceptional quality of his voice truly shines when singing his solo material, which is much more singer-friendly than the songs penned by Steve Harris.

I still get goosebumps when I remember his rendition of Jerusalem at Canterbury cathedral in December 2011 and the standing ovation that ensued.

Last edited:
Yeah I can also agree with this. The Maiden vocal melodies aren't bad; awkward at times, but Bruce pulls them off. But even an album like Tyranny of Souls, where Bruce was literally lying on his back in pain as he recorded his lines, has vocal melodies that are 10x more fun to sing than the majority of Iron Maiden's work. And I mean, every single song is a nice vocal stretch to me. "Believil" has the belting, "Devil on a Hog" has the oil, "Navigate the Seas of the Sun" has the lush, "A Tyranny of Souls" has the theatrical, "Kill Devil Hill" has the starry eyes, etc. It's not the greatest album ever but it's a lot of fun to sing along to.

Hahah! At least when Maiden retire Bruce can have a lucrative career playing a medieval bard on TV and in film with this look.
An association between Bruce and Ritchie Blackmore would be very interesting, especially if they stray from hard rock... as long as they do it seriously, which means sacking whoever they both have been "working" with for the past 15 at least, and hire a (courageous) producer who wouldn't let them rest on their laurels.
I get this is wishful thinking. ;)

Wise words my friend, wise words.

Bruce is a fantastic singer, but I think the exceptional quality of his voice truly shines when singing his solo material, which is much more singer-friendly than the songs penned by Steve Harris.

I still get goosebumps when I remember his rendition of Jerusalem at Canterbury cathedral in December 2011 and the standing ovation that ensued.
A true Bonus Point event to have witnessed, baby. Made me re-appreciate Bruce Bruce when I saw it on Yertube.

Also, any linguists in the house? Is 'saw' or 'seen' the appropriate word for the above sentence? Askin for a friend.

Back