Bruce Dickinson

Judging by the recent videos It seems to me that Bruce is out of rhythm (before the rhythm) so often. I hope it won´t happen during the Maiden tour. It reminds me of his rather poor timing and sense of rhythm last year (mainly RTTH).

Chris Dale created a Facebook Skunkworks group a while ago to share memories from that phase of Bruce’s solo career. Subsequently, he has compiled everything into a book, which is available on a print-on-demand basis.

I got the book some weeks ago. Although the presentation and layout is quite amateurish, I am grateful to Chris Dale for putting it together. A true labour of love.

The content is REALLY interesting, with lots of contributions from people who were around at the time and many pictures never seen before.
It is nice to read a different version about the Skunkworks project and subsequent fallout other than Bruce’s/official Maiden biography.

A must buy for fans of Bruce’s solo career.

@Jer I am sure you will love this book!

Last edited:
No, not a chance. But at his best he still sounds remarkably good. I'm not sure there is any other singer in metal who has aged as good as Bruce.

I almost have this silly pride that Maiden is "my" band, and Bruce is "my" singer.

It is undeniable that Bruce's voice has aged much better than that of his peers (I share your silly pride about it), but he is far from being able what he did so well from the mid 90s to the mid/late 00s.

No, not a chance. But at his best he still sounds remarkably good. I'm not sure there is any other singer in metal who has aged as good as Bruce.

I almost have this silly pride that Maiden is "my" band, and Bruce is "my" singer.
^ This.

We like to say since 1997, but his voice was amazing in 1994 too. And still in 2023, very good/great performances of these songs. It's not a surprise for me.
It is undeniable that Bruce's voice has aged much better than that of his peers (I share your silly pride about it), but he is far from being able what he did so well from the mid 90s to the mid/late 00s.
I agree about his voice. 2018 was really close imo.

I feel like everyone in the band, Dickinson included, aged 10 years during the Covid Quarantine. It's almost a night and day difference between the Pre-Covid and Post-Covid Legacy tour, for example
+1
it's because they did not work out (in terms of active touring) for a long time.

I feel like everyone in the band, Dickinson included, aged 10 years during the Covid Quarantine. It's almost a night and day difference between the Pre-Covid and Post-Covid Legacy tour, for example
Rust. They got better towards the end of the tour last year. Of course they weren't as sharp as 2018 unfortunately.

Yeah, on that Sarajevo video with better audio quality I can definitely hear how thin his voice gets in the higher notes in the chorus. It's just age, not much you can do about it. Would still never guess that's a man in his sixties who also previously had cancer in the mouth and throat, just as I couldn't in 2018.

He was really, really great in 2018, which made the drop in quality of his singing in 2019 and, especially, in 2022 even more striking (and painful).
I think most of 2019 the quality was down to injuries and being sick multiple times. For 2022, it just comes down to apparently none of the band were practicing or keeping in the best of shape. From tempo issues, forgotten lyrics, missing notes, missing the beat, etc...it's a very noticeable decline. And I HATE to say that as Maiden is my favorite band ever and, up to Covid, has seemed to be absolutely immortal to me. But now, their mortality and age have become very apparent.

He was really, really great in 2018, which made the drop in quality of his singing in 2019 and, especially, in 2022 even more striking (and painful).
Still don't think 2022 was as bad as you say. Aces High was painful quite often, but he sounded good for most of the tour from the footage I have seen.

It's just age, not much you can do about it. Would still never guess that's a man in his sixties,
I think most of 2019 the quality was down to injuries and being sick multiple times. For 2022, it just comes down to apparently none of the band were practicing or keeping in the best of shape. From tempo issues, forgotten lyrics, missing notes, missing the beat, etc...it's a very noticeable decline. And I HATE to say that as Maiden is my favorite band ever and, up to Covid, has seemed to be absolutely immortal to me. But now, their mortality and age have become very apparent.
Still don't think 2022 was as bad as you say. Aces High was painful quite often, but he sounded good for most of the tour from the footage I have seen.
I agree with all of this. About 2019, he also recorded Senjutsu after the 2018 leg and before the tour. I don't think it was that bad. 2022 was better though.

Back