Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

New great article from maidenrevelations

Thanks for sharing.

I like this quote from Bruce about AMOLAD album:

''Afterwards the writing urge was stronger than ever. Steve and I were starting to converge, and I began to get the same sort of goosebumps I’d had before the Seventh Son album. […] In fact, it was difficult to keep up with the number of ideas coming thick and fast''.

This other quote from Bruce is also curious (after the 2011 tour):

''It was a 35-date fourth leg of the tour and, frankly, I think we were all feeling a little fried at the end of it. Unlike the Powerslave tour, we acknowledged it to ourselves, and I had a particularly robust evening with Rod Smallwood. […] I had no intention of retiring unless I had to. I made the suggestion that ‘little and often’ was a better strategy than trying to reconquer the world every year''.

And it seems Adrian wanted to leave:

''There isn’t much I regret in terms of the decision that I made. Maybe if it were possible for me to have had a conversation with my younger self at a few crucial times then maybe I wouldn’t have done certain things in terms of leaving the band. That said, I knew I needed to leave because I was burned out and I needed a break. […] Now I’m enjoying every moment that comes my way''.

Btw, I had forgotten how weird were the encores and the position of ''Aces High'' in the original ME tour setlist:
Aces High after Iron Maiden !

encore:
Running Free
Infinite Dreams
Hallowed Be Thy Name

o_O

me tour original setlist 2012.jpg

Btw, I had forgotten how weird were the encores and the position of ''Aces High'' in the original ME tour setlist:
Aces High after Iron Maiden !

encore:
Running Free
Infinite Dreams
Hallowed Be Thy Name

o_O

View attachment 23880
That's not the original running order of the setlist. Clearly they just moved Infinite Dreams and Hallowed down to the bottom of the list once the decision was made that they were not going to be played.

That's not the original running order of the setlist. Clearly they just moved Infinite Dreams and Hallowed down to the bottom of the list once the decision was made that they were not going to be played.
I see. We can also see 18 songs (without TETMD!), while the final setlist of the tour was 17 songs - so they removed HBTN from it, replaced Infinite Dreams with TETMD and made some changes in the positions of some songs. I like how they wrote 7th Son Of A 7th Son.

I see. We can also see 18 songs (without TETMD!), while the final setlist of the tour was 17 songs - so they removed HBTN from it, replaced Infinite Dreams with TETMD and made some changes in the positions of some songs. I like how they wrote 7th Son Of A 7th Son.
It was a Maiden England tour. TETMD would be played anyways. I'm pretty sure Infinite Dreams was replaced by ATSS and Hallowed was meant to close the show, but it was replaced by Running Free last minute, since Barry decided to sue just before the tour and they played it during TFF cycle.

Didn't we actually see a version of the setlist when Davey was holding it up in a rehearsal photo? It was low quality but you could see the placement of Hallowed somewhere in the set, I forgot where exactly.

TETMD is literally highlighted in that photo since it's selected in the cue list, it's the song between AH and Running Free as it was in the final set.

Didn't we actually see a version of the setlist when Davey was holding it up in a rehearsal photo? It was low quality but you could see the placement of Hallowed somewhere in the set, I forgot where exactly.

TETMD is literally highlighted in that photo since it's selected in the cue list, it's the song between AH and Running Free as it was in the final set.
It's in this video, around 1:17. Hallowed is mid-set, RTTH is closing:

Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 12.04.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-28 at 12.00.30 PM.png

???? (possibly TROOPER?)
NOTB
PHANTOM
HALLOWED
WASTED YEARS
SEVENTH SON
CLAIRVOYANT
FEAR OF THE DARK
IRON MAIDEN
--------------
ACES HIGH
THE EVIL THAT MEN DO
RUN TO THE HILLS

''There isn’t much I regret in terms of the decision that I made. Maybe if it were possible for me to have had a conversation with my younger self at a few crucial times then maybe I wouldn’t have done certain things in terms of leaving the band. That said, I knew I needed to leave because I was burned out and I needed a break. […] Now I’m enjoying every moment that comes my way''.
Just to be clear, this reads like Adrian is talking about his "younger self" as in from 1989-90 when he originally left the band.

I agree with lots of points on that blog post. I have seen Maiden on every tour since 2005 and the 2011 and 2013 shows were the weakest. I saw them at the O2 at both shows and the band seemed very tired. I took my then girlfriend (now wife) to both shows and she noticed that Bruce was particularly tired. In 2011 he didn’t even try and hit the high notes for some of the Talisman.

2013 just had a weird set list. It was nice to hear songs like Moonchild, Prisoner, ATSS, Phantom and SSOASS but there was something off about the flow of it. There should have been more deep cuts. That’s why they will never top the Legacy 1.0 set list. A perfect mix of classics, not so regular and actual deep cuts.

I agree with lots of points on that blog post. I have seen Maiden on every tour since 2005 and the 2011 and 2013 shows were the weakest. I saw them at the O2 at both shows and the band seemed very tired. I took my then girlfriend (now wife) to both shows and she noticed that Bruce was particularly tired. In 2011 he didn’t even try and hit the high notes for some of the Talisman.

2013 just had a weird set list. It was nice to hear songs like Moonchild, Prisoner, ATSS, Phantom and SSOASS but there was something off about the flow of it. There should have been more deep cuts. That’s why they will never top the Legacy 1.0 set list. A perfect mix of classics, not so regular and actual deep cuts.
Maiden's laziest setlists imo are: 1992, 2007, 2011 and 2012/2013/2014. Even the 2005 one could be improved.

I think they can top Legacy 1.0 setlist with Future Past or only with a ''Deep cuts'' tour.

Bruce's voice was shot by the end of the 2011 UK tour (it probably did not help that he was flying planes when Maiden had days off). I went to 5 shows on that tour and realised by the end of it that there had been too many with that setlist! :lol:

I quite liked the 2013/2014 Maiden England shows, but agree with you that from a setlist point of view, Legacy of the Beast 2018 were probably the best Maiden shows I have been to, together with the 2008 Somewhere Back in Time ones.

Back