The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. Had I not utilized my access to presale (about an hour before the general sale started), I might have been left without a ticket... Well of course the second show was added immediately, but anyway. Last time I saw them doing two nights in a row I found the first one rather superior, but then again, it was at the beginning of the 2018 tour and three gigs within four days sure was tough run, even though they were rather fresh at the beginning of the tour.
It was interesting as the Helsinki #1 show 2018, I think Bruce talked a bit more and had little speeches on songs and tour stuff like that.
Then on the next night Helsinki #2 show I think they played similar but there was much lesser talk.
I think I felt that the first night was perhaps a bit better and stronger, but it might only been how I felt it. Both 2018 were great though.
I can't recall if there were any major other differences..the previous time that I saw 2 nights on the following nights, was in 2008 (Helsinki and Tampere).
So, I take it that your also going to the first Tampere-show? right? and not the second at all..

So you guys got/will get tickets for both nights?
Don't know yet, but I might settle only on saturday ticket. I might have to book hotel (if going to see 2nd show), but if I go to one show only I might be able drive straight to home without booking hotel.
Booking hotel might be difficult but I have few people that live in Tampere, so perhaps they can provide me accommodation.
Have to think of this..you never know what will happen next summer.

Both 2018 were great though.
I can't recall if there were any major other differences..the previous time that I saw 2 nights on the following nights, was in 2008 (Helsinki and Tampere).
So, I take it that your also going to the first Tampere-show? right? and not the second at all..

Yeah, both shows were definitely great! The biggest difference was that Bruce talked a lot less in the second show (and the speech before FTGGOG got dropped there) and he sounded just a tad bit more tired, e.g not holding notes quite as long etc. That, however, tells more about his absolutely outstanding performance in the first show, rather than there being anything wrong with the second!

And yeah, at least for now, only the first night in Tampere.

Yep, as we saw the 2 shows in 2018 with my friend..it was pretty evident how much less Bruce talked during the 2nd night.
Maybe they also know that there are people (must be minority though) that are going to both shows, I think that could be valid and natural explanation and so..maybe that's why some talk was dropped or Bruce was indeed a bit more tired or something like that. I can't recall any of their performances being different though and I didn't remember if he hold some notes longer on the first show.
It would still be interesting to hear official recordings from the shows..like certain instrument or Bruce's voice only..as some of the audience recordings might not present everything that clearly.

My comment was based on my experience attending Maiden shows on the other side of the pond (different European countries). :)
I’ve been thinking- is Maiden bigger amongst the younger folks over there? Is metal bigger there (in general) than the states?

Radio airplay? I know top40 rules in the US, but not sure how ‘popular’ music changes in terms of geographies.

Seems like a good dissertation lol.

I’ve been thinking- is Maiden bigger amongst the younger folks over there? Is metal bigger there (in general) than the states?

Radio airplay? I know top40 rules in the US, but not sure how ‘popular’ music changes in terms of geographies.

I would say that Maiden are huge band in Croatia and Serbia. I often catch songs like Aces High, Be quick, Wasting Love on random radio station.

They made their name in this region because they have a big history of playing shows in Slovenia, Serbia and Croatia. Almost every tour they are visitng this region. And shows are always packed with crazy crowd, everybody standing from first to last song.

Metal in general is popular in this area, but some bands never made their name over here like Judas Priest I dont know if they ever played any show here, Kiss could not sold out last show in Zagreb.

Zagreb was such a cool place to visit as well. People were so friendly, welcoming and chatty about Maiden, even if they werent going to the show. Amazing food and good beers -> will definitely go again if Maiden plays there again.

It was interesting as the Helsinki #1 show 2018, I think Bruce talked a bit more and had little speeches on songs and tour stuff like that.
Then on the next night Helsinki #2 show I think they played similar but there was much lesser talk.
At the start of LOTB tour in 2018, Bruce said he wouldn't be talking that much because ''the show will do the talking''.

''To Tame A Land'' is another song that would be fitting for this tour. It's not a difficult song for the band to play live, but it's not a possible deep cut because it hasn't been played live since 1983 and it's a long song. They should have played it in 2005 (it would have been the centerpiece of the show). Too bad we don't have a good quality video for this song. The backdrop for it could be epic.

Could one of the reasons why this song was not played again after 1983 to be because the lyrics are too specific to the novel? I mean, dunno. It's one of Steve favorite songs (he said that in an interview in 1983). It's also not one of Maiden's catchiest songs live, but it's still strange.

All joking apart, the actual reason why I'm tending towards Leipzig is because it's on a weekend and I don't know how my teaching schedule will be next semester. If I'm off on Mondays and Tuesdays, then Dortmund and Munich would be fine options, but it's impossible for me to know at this point. I already know that I will take a week off earlier in July for professional reasons, which very fortunately gives me the possibility to go to the London gigs - but this also means I can't take another week off during the semester.
I go to Amsterdam, and if circumstances permit, tending to go to London. Perhaps I should not decide too late about that.

Last edited:

In Germany, metal fans support their bands. New albums, although not played at all on mainstream radio, are regularly in the top 5 of the general album charts, even if Helene Fischer, Amigos and their ilk sometimes push them out of first place.

And at concerts? Was there a difference between the shows in DE and the US?
Hmm, were there other people there? :D I guess I focus too much on the music and the band.

But at the British Lion concert in Köln a guy spoke to me while we were waiting for the band. I would say he was about 25 years old.

''To Tame A Land'' is another song that would be fitting for this tour. It's not a difficult song for the band to play live, but it's not a possible deep cut because it hasn't been played live since 1983 and it's a long song. They should have played it in 2005 (it would have been the centerpiece of the show). Too bad we don't have a good quality video for this song. The backdrop for it could be epic.

Could one of the reasons why this song was not played again after 1983 to be because the lyrics are too specific to the novel? I mean, dunno. It's one of Steve favorite songs (he said that in an interview in 1983). It's also not one of Maiden's catchiest songs live, but it's still strange.
As someone who really doesn't like TTAL I hope it'll never resurface again.

I'd say we shouldn't be looking at past epics that might make the setlist since there are more than enough likely and current ones (like the 4 Steven epics from Senjutsu) that need to be considered. Add Alex, HCW and maybe CSIT plus the obligatory HBTN and FOTD and we've got a ton of lengthy songs. For deepcuts we need to be looking at songs in the 3 to 6 minute mark.

I would say that in most European countries Maiden have been able to attract a younger audience with each post-reunion album without losing many of their older fans, who in some cases have rejoined the cult thanks to the nostalgia-tinged retrospective tours. The latter have been a great opportunity for younger fans to witness those songs live for the first time, also attracting casual rock fans willing to witness Maiden legendary live shows.

Over the last few years I have seen more and more families (sometimes three generations) attending Maiden shows in the UK. Next July it will be my turn to do that. :)

P.S. Maiden music is not regularly played on mainstream radio, but you can definitely hear them sometimes and at times they have been played on top 40 shows quite regularly. The whole “lack of radio play” promotional line from Rod is a load of bullshit.

For deep cuts we have to look to Somewhere in Time. They are most likely playing Stranger in a Strange Land, Alexander the Great and maybe Caught Somewhere in Time. Those are the deep cuts for this tour.
That's not what I meant. Senjutsu and SIT will be represented by the tour, so those songs aren't what I consider deep cuts, even when songs like Alexander are to be played. We'll have Senjutsu, SIT and a few classics. Then there might be an out of left field choice, like Futureal that was discussed before, or OTGDY that people have wished for since Steve's mention of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back