Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

I like Stratego, it's a real grower, but I'm hoping it will be a one-off in terms of production and performance. It's almost as if 'Arry heard a rough mix of the first take and said "that's the one!"

My prediction is the longer songs on this album are going to crush the living hell out of Stratego. I agree having shorter songs are important but they have become the filler. It doesn't mean they're not good tracks they're just the sorter songs in an album full of longer songs which for the most part have been better.

My prediction is the longer songs on this album are going to crush the living hell out of Stratego. I agree having shorter songs are important but they have become the filler. It doesn't mean they're not good tracks they're just the sorter songs in an album full of longer songs which for the most part have been better.

Apart from Angel and the Gambler, Don’t look to the Eyes of a Stranger and The Unbeliever, their longer songs have always kicked ass. So yes I do presume longer tracks will kill it on Senjutsu as well.

Stratego for me is in the top 3 favorite short tracks after Wicker man and Rainmaker. I think the short rockers are important because it gives the album a burst of energy and pace to break the monotony of the lumbering epics. Given the length of the songs in this album, both Stratego and Days of Future Past will give a much needed breathing space. As much as I love the maiden epics, I wouldn't want 6 of them in a row.
The “short rockers” still rightly have their place and I’m glad they have them. I just tend to favor the more complex songs these days.

I will listen to the album by Spotify but I preordered silver vinyl version. And I will not open it.
I have preordered the silver vinyl too, but will open it. And listen to it LOUD.
I like Stratego too but I wouldn’t call it filler. However, I do prefer the longer songs they put out these days over the few short rockers they’ve done as I generally find them more interesting.
I love their long songs, anything 6+ minutes where they take you on a music journey. And therefore I do prefer TWOTW of the two singles. Having said that, the melodies and gallop of Stratego have made me smile immensely, it’s an exciting song and I feel it’s the strongest short-song of the reunion era. Bruce is fabulous in both songs, so much emotion and passion. Great Maidenisms in both. I can already imagine when they play Stratego live and Davey smiling and looking across at Janick while playing the power chords beneath “I hear you calling my name!”

I will listen to the album by Spotify but I preordered silver vinyl version. And I will not open it.

I too will have to listen to it on spotify as I don’t get cds where I live. Ordered for both deluxe editions from global music retailers. One I shall open, listen and rip to my laptop and the other one shall remain untouched and shall serve as a backup copy.

Again, I like Stratego but let's be honest, it's filler at this point. It doesn't stand out.
How a song can be a filler when the full album is not released yet? Especially a song as good as ''Stratego''?
I like the epics a lot, but the short songs are much needed too - an album should have a mixture of both imo. I also don't think that the short rockers since the reunion are fillers... in fact, I like all of them.

Btw, Senjutsu will have only 2 short rockers (like TFF and AMOLAD albums).

This:
Stratego for me is in the top 3 favorite short tracks after Wicker man and Rainmaker. I think the short rockers are important because it gives the album a burst of energy and pace to break the monotony of the lumbering epics. Given the length of the songs in this album, both Stratego and Days of Future Past will give a much needed breathing space. As much as I love the maiden epics, I wouldn't want 6 of them in a row.

Last edited:
Nicko running a marathon in his old boots while being chased by 666 samurai and Steve on a galopping horse together with Bruce dressed up as Madame Butterfly and Dave, Janick and H in a musketeer costume playing on the back of a pick up truck with Rod as the driver.
...Again?

Back