Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Yeah, I quite like the sound on TWOTW as well as the song. When it comes to these live sounding albums (so, I'd say anything Blaze era and post BNW) it sounds good to me, certainly better than BOS and probably on par with AMOLAD.

To me BNW sounded unbalanced and bad. BOS had a better sound than TFF. third time lucky I guess. Still not super clear but it is a repsectable sound to my ears.

I thought BNW sounded pretty clinical and sterile - too perfect really (particularly the drum sounds). That's both a compliment and a complaint.

DOD, TFF were both really boxy and dry to my ears. Sort of like everything was dialed into the middle or something.

BOS was slightly better with finally some reverb but a bit down the middle again and muddy.

AMOLAD is still my favorite so far but that could change with the new album. TWOTW just sounds a bit more spacious for lack of a better term, slightly larger, more airy and less boxed in and more separation of instruments while still sounding like a band if that makes any sense.

Only real criticism of the sound on TWOTW is that it lacks a bit of vocal clarity and that the drums could have a bit more edge on them. Otherwise it’s the best sounding since AMOLAD. Let’s see if this particular song is mixed a bit softer to fit the song. The songs on past albums have a tendency to have slightly different mix to fit the song, but the overall sonic landscape is basically the same. Hope I’m making sense here :)

Its not about ears, its about science. Human ears have a limited hearing range. 48khz surpasses it.

I think you're mixing up different things based on the same SI unit

The CD sampling rate has to be larger than about 40 kHz to fulfill the Nyquist criterion that requires sampling at twice the maximum analog frequency, which is about 20 kHz for audio. The sampling frequency is chosen somewhat higher than the Nyquist rate since practical filters needed to prevent aliasing have a finite slope.

Also the sampling rate is tied to various clocks in the system. Therefore it's a combination of utilizing 1) enough information space for the copy per Nyquist 2) padding for error corrections, retention of sloping 3) any additional information encoder can put there 4) play nicely with the system clock

I've used 192kHz on DAW before, it has its merits. If you're interested you can always search for the relevant information on the net.

I like it that we already talk about #18 without having heard #17 yet. I REALLY NEED IT TO BE A GOOD ONE THOUGH!!!

Once more went through TWOTW and I am happy with it. coming from someone who has devoted his forum life in bitching this got to mean a lot. Or maybe not that much, who knows???
Probably means if you don't like it, I will. If you like it, we've a masterpiece on our hands (or ears) :D

He seemed more interested in the hotel and stuff around town than recording the album!

Nice that Adrian is pleased with the mix. Other than the vocals being a bit low I think TWOTW sounds good. As mentioned the drums don't have a lot of attack/edge to them but I think that's been a deliberate mix decision as its a more rock styled song.

I'm also glad there seems to be some more regular content from the band. 2 videos in 2 days. Hopefully it continues up to release.

So Alenjandro doesn't have to message too many of us, if he does share with some of us, let's try to pass it to other members on here. We might need to set up a system because a lot of people will probably want to listen.

Back