Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

The way they change the set every night is refreshing. Makes following them on tour quite fun because you never quite know what you're getting that night.

The chief problem with Maiden is they've never ever played a song that wasn't played subsequent to the release. Maiden has entire double album runtime of stuff they've never played live. If you're a fan of one of those songs, tough luck.

Maiden favour the recent release and the classics. We cannot even hope they'll play important songs from important albums like TTAL or CSiT or whatever because they didn't become "classics".

Metallica's approach to the gig is more organic, encompassing, but it does mean they make mistakes and need to restart songs and so on.

In case of Maiden they're just lazy to rehearse and favour their own personal time and leisure more than they favour flexibility. Look at 2010. They've rehearsed three deeper cuts for two setlist slots, then replaced two of them at the beginning of the tour. Which is one more than they've rehearsed - hence Wrathchild.

It is not my opinion they've played larger part of their discography than Maiden live, it's a fact. Rotation too.
And, for fucks sake, they let people vote for songs. They've played Frayed Ends this way.

Those are facts.
It's still your opinion that this is a better way of approaching setlists. The fan vote was a decent idea, but the should have kept it too metclub members. It was 2014 wasn't it? I saw Metallica in Oslo that year and got enough.

Also Metallica has several advantages over Maiden whether you like it or not, the way they approach setlist and gigs is certainly better.
Truth. They change it up quite a lot. Also, Metallica by request was a great tour. The making of hardwired is something I long for from maiden.

Reactions: jcv
Guys, are you sure this is the right thread to discuss Metallica live shows? Definitely this is an interesting topic, but still this is the Senjutsu thread! Neither the Maiden vs Metallica thread, nor the 2022 tour thread. This is the Senjutsu album thread.
So.

What have people pre ordered? I've ordered the black vinyl set. I'm somewhat tempted to get the standard box set out of novelty, but will probably not. Had it included the vinyl I would have jumped at it, though.

Truth. They change it up quite a lot. Also, Metallica by request was a great tour. The making of hardwired is something I long for from maiden.
Would be nice to get something like that after Senjutsu's release. It's going to be a long time from album release to the first tour date.

What have people pre ordered? I've ordered the black vinyl set. I'm somewhat tempted to get the standard box set out of novelty, but will probably not. Had it included the vinyl I would have jumped at it, though.
At the moment these:
Deluxe 2CD Book Format
Deluxe heavyweight 180G Triple Black Vinyl
Special Edition Triple Silver & Black Marble Vinyl
Special Edition Triple Red & Black Marble Vinyl
and perhaps FC Wooden box or regular.

I'm sort of tempted to preorder the book version since it looks cool but then I remember that I'm poor and I'll be able to buy it for like, 10, 15 eurobux tops within like a year on some forgotten supermarket CD shelf. I bought the book version of TBOS for a tenner around Christmas '15. It was in the DVD section for some reason, I guess the book format confused them.

So.

Regular CD
CD with Lenticular from EMP
Hardback Book CD
Black Vinyl
Red Vinyl
Silver Vinyl
Box Set

So.

Bought two red vinyls, one for me and one for my partner, plus the digipak for them and the book edition for myself.

The way they change the set every night is refreshing.
Maybe it's weird, but I kinda like that Maiden don't change/add songs to their setlists so often - in this way every tour has a unique selection of songs.

And for example, when they played ''Tears Of A Clown'' during TBOS tour 1st leg, I was very happy because I like the song, the backdrop was great and then... the song was left out from the video release - another aspect of the heavy changing of the setlist which I don't like.

It's still your opinion that this is a better way of approaching setlists.

No I'm afraid it's not. Metallica can do and did what Maiden does consistently all the fucking time, and that's play a pre planned setlist. But sometimes they don't. Which is why that approach is better, it's just wider.

It is your opinion that it's good that Maiden never did entire retro album live? Is it your opinion that it's better they didn't play Powerslave or Piece of Mind in its entirety anywhere because playing it everywhere would be overkill but playing it somewhere will outcry everyone who can't reach those gigs? Why the hell Maiden never does anything live appearance apart from the tour, when was last time, in 2006?

Also I won't do musical comparison between them because it's not relevant for the discussion. Both bands are metal, both bands are stadium calibre, both bands have significant discography with shades of differences between albums, both bands have classic songs, both bands have deep cuts, both bands have huge audience.

No I'm afraid it's not.
Actually, it is. I like that Maiden sets down what they’re going to play right from the beginning with minor changes. Would it be cool to hear some rarities? Sure, but I don’t care enough. I’m buying the ticket either way because I know I’m going to have a blast. I don’t need to hear a bass heavy incarnation of a local hit or one of the umpteen shitty tracks Metallica has put out since 1997. Maiden always deliver and that’s why I love them. Switching up the setlist could just lead to ‘shit why didn’t they play that on MY night’, which I don’t want to start.

EDIT: Besides, the show experience with its theatrical angle works so much better when everyone is getting the same thing. It means they can be more creative with presentation even if the song has been played numerous times already. Spitfire in “Aces High”, for instance.

Actually, it is. I like that Maiden sets down....

So I don't like it, what now?
"You" get yours 100% of the time but I get mine 0%, hows that for fan service?

Iron Maiden is entirely predictable from the gig 1 of the tour to the end. It is the extreme end of the spectrum. I am not asking for every show to be different I'm asking for balance.

Again the arguments are I don't like Metallica songs, what the fuck is wrong with you people, don't you know how to participate in discussion? I'm saying someone is short as Putin in a height discussion and you're responding with politics rant.

Back