Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

I noticed some curious things in Bruce's interview for Kerrang:

The title track will have a great sing-along verses or chorus - ''No, not the Great Wall Of China. It’s just a wall.’ It doesn’t matter, really – it’s a good story, and a great vocal to sing on.''

''There’s songs about a time machine (The Time Machine) and a mystical parchment (The Parchment), but there’s also the self-explanatory Churchillian surge of Darkest Hour, Stratego (in which Bruce sings ‘Teach me the art of war’), and the enormous Death Of The Celts. All very gung-ho, all very Maiden, all very defiant and bold.''

- gung ho means ''overly enthusiastic or energetic'', so maybe all these songs will have a lot of energy in them.

Being proud of your most recent material isn't very odd. Half the forum here thought The Final Frontier was the best yet for like the first few months or the first year after its release. Considering he always does it, I doubt it's a marketing stunt. He probably feels just that in the moment.

Don't get me wrong, it is a type of tradition for Nicko and I fully understand! BTW just realised we still got 34 days till the album. Damn!

Last edited:
I see a lot of bands release an audio trailer for a new album. I know it is unlikely but I wish we had one or maybe in the form of a new pre-order promo from Maiden

I checked, El Dorado was released on 8th June. Final Frontier music video 13th July. So both were before TFF release in August.

So we have hope that Stratego could be released in August.

Actually, 4 dark covers in a row (if we count Live Chapter and Nights of the Dead live albums).
Both Live Chapter and NOTD have 2 of the worst covers I have seen from Maiden. Dear God. They should use Anthony Dry for the live covers I reckon.

But we don't get the 2nd until album release, I believe. Or maybe for TFF we got both El Dorado and Final Frontier? Can't remember

Didn't they make The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, Different World and Brighter than a Thousand Suns available before the release of A Matter of Life and Death? I have a vague recollection of listening to the tracks with my brother before the album was on sale and both of us being really excited, especially with the latter.

Well, every studio album of Maiden (so far) has 2 singles...

A fair point to make but not technically true, there's quite a few exceptions in some areas.

(BTW: before I go any further, I'm not saying this to have an argument with you Kalata, I just enjoy talking about nerd shit :lol:)

Iron Maiden: Sanctuary was technically not on the album in the UK, so depending on what you want to count as being singles, you could either only have 1 single, Running Free, 2 singles Running Free and Sanctuary, or if we're counting non album track Sanctuary why not non album track Women in Uniform?

Killers: Twilight Zone was another non album track, and judging by the recent WOTW promotion, Maiden consider Purgatory as the first and therefore only single off Killers.

FOTD: Wasting Love was the third single in a lot of territories.

ARLO/ARDO - Only one single each off these

The X Factor - again a grey area as LOTF was only in limited territories and only on one format. It was obviously intended to be the proper 2nd single given the box that came with MOTE that allowed for space for the intended 2 CD release of the second single.

Best of the Beast - Only Virus

V XI - Futureal was again a watered down release, onto 1 format only and only available by mail order

Rock in Rio - Only Run to the Hills (Live)

DOD - 3 singles from DOD, Wildest Dreams, Rainmaker and No More Lies

The next few albums are a grea area: I don't consider promo/video only releases as proper singles per se, but they certainly serve the same purpose in promoting the album that old real physical singles did.

TFF - only promos but there was 3 of them, El Dorado, TFF and Coming Home

TBOS - promo only for Speed of Light but Empire of the Clouds had a real single

Last edited:
A fair point to make but not technically true, there's quite a few exceptions in some areas.

(BTW: before I go any further, I'm not saying this to have an argument with you Kalata, I just enjoy talking about nerd shit :lol:)

Iron Maiden: Sanctuary was technically not on the album in the UK, so depending on what you want to count as being singles, you could either only have 1 single, Running Free, 2 singles Running Free and Sanctuary, or if we're counting non album track Sanctuary why not non album track Women in Uniform?

Killers: Twilight Zone was another non album track, and judging by the recent WOTW promotion, Maiden consider Purgatory as the first and therefore only single off Killers.

ARLO/ARDO - Only one single each off these

The X Factor - again a grey area as LOTF was only in limited territories and only on one format. It was obviously intended to be the proper 2nd single given the box that came with MOTE that allowed for space for the intended 2 CD release of the second single.

Best of the Beast - Only Virus

V XI - Futureal was again a watered down release, onto 1 format only and only available by mail order

Rock in Rio - Only Run to the Hills (Live)

The next few albums are a grea area: I don't consider promo/video only releases as proper singles per se, but they certainly serve the same purpose in promoting the album that old real physical singles did.

TFF - only promos but there was 3 of them, El Dorado, TFF and Coming Home

TBOS - promo only for Speed of Light but Empire of the Clouds had a real single
+ 7th Son had three to four singles : CIPWM, TETMD, The Clairvoyant (live) and Infinite Dreams (live), the latter being released to coincide with Maiden England.

You're missing out a few things inbetween. First, SSOASS had three singles. I know The Clairvoyant is a live recording, and it is thus an anomaly in the Maiden catalogue as a live single without a corresponding live album, but it was nevertheless very much part of the SSOASS cycle. It was released only three months after The Evil That Men Do, which itself was released four months after the album. The single artwork also ties in with the SSOASS concept. It has nothing to do with Maiden England or the Infinite Dreams single, which came out a whole year later. Maiden England is also an oddity, first because it only had one single (Infinite Dreams) and second because it wasn't a proper live album when first released, but a video only.
Also I seem to remember that there was supposed to be a Tailgunner single that was scrapped.

Indeed a weird one. There is no proper release date and it wasn't eligible for the charts either.

No More Lies wasn't promoted as a single but as a "souvenir EP" and supposedly only had limited release. It was even released after the end of the tour.

There are also the cases of the Number of the Beast and Trooper singles from 2005 which weren't really tied to any release. I mean, they were clearly tie-ins to the Early Days DVD and tour, but they were released quite a while after the DVD and the Trooper single came out two weeks before the tour ended, so I don't really think it could be regarded as promoting it.

Empire of the Clouds had a real single

Can you really call it that? It was a record-store day exclusive LP that had no wider release.

Back