Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

I'm actually not going to listen to the album in order. Instead, I'm going to mix the last 3 songs in with the others. Also, the title Stratego has an instrumental vibe to it. But it's pointless to make predictions. Still kind of fun though.

Steve's songwriting in the 80's was on a another level. Look at the stuff he came up with

Phantom, Number of the Beast, Hallowed, Trooper, To Tame A Land, Rime, Infinite Dreams, Seventh Son.. Absolutely insane. In my opinion, he is by far the best song writer the world has ever seen. I am really intrigued and excited to hear the songs he has written now.
Totally agree. All band members are unique in their own right, but without Steve, there would have been no Maiden. He is the heavy metal Mozart and deserves all the respect he can get. :)

Something I said on other sites but not here is that I thought TWOTW reminded me firstly of Caught Somewhere in Time. So its funny now in hindsight with more Time related songs on the album. The Cover looks game inspired, like my toon on a puter game I play.

KR-SamuraiArcherGold.jpgKR-SamuraiGoldRear.jpg

Was there a need to have this on a triple LP tho? It's effectively 2 songs per side some will have a single track. Would have all fit on 2 very easily

I've been a long time guest and finally decided to contribute myself. :)

I'm glad that you brought this up, cause it has been on my mind since October last year. Obviously, we all knew that they recorded the new album in 2019 (which was eventually confirmed today), but in October 2020 there was an article, which stated that "Iron Maiden have been in the studio, and are gagging and ready to go". It was based on a video message from Bruce to the fans offering an update on the sextet's current activity. Bruce said: "A lot of things haven't happened this year, that's blindingly obvious, and it's very, very frustrating,” the singer states. “However, we do have plans. In the meantime, what are we doing? Well, we're doing bits of writing. I'm talking to Steve [Harris]. We've been working together a little bit in the studio. On what, I can't tell you, ’cause they'd have to kill me.”

In a recent interview with Sunday Express, Bruce stated: "I've been writing stuff for Iron Maiden which I can't tell you about but I will be able to talk about it at the one-man show. It's exciting!"

I might interpret too much, but to me, these are all clues that Maiden have been begun writing songs for album #18. Senjutsu was finished two years ago and almost ready to go, so why would they return to the studio? Why would Bruce talk about stuff he has been writing for Iron Maiden, but can't tell us about, if this only regarded the 3 songs he is credited for on the new album (#17)?
There is no reason right now Senjutsu has to be the last Maiden album.

Steve's songwriting in the 80's was on a another level. Look at the stuff he came up with

Phantom, Number of the Beast, Hallowed, Trooper, To Tame A Land, Rime, Infinite Dreams, Seventh Son.. Absolutely insane. In my opinion, he is by far the best song writer the world has ever seen. I am really intrigued and excited to hear the songs he has written now.

I'd love to tell you who wrote Phantom, but I can tell you it was not written in the 80's!

I'm actually not going to listen to the album in order. Instead, I'm going to mix the last 3 songs in with the others. Also, the title Stratego has an instrumental vibe to it. But it's pointless to make predictions. Still kind of fun though.
That would be really cool if they actually did that.

Fuck me man, cover art looks cool but why must an album be over 45 minutes. Book of Souls just bores the hell out of me, and is one of my least favorites mostly due to the length, I hope this is worth it, but I have a feeling it's gonna be much of the same.
I assume you don't have to listen to the whole album in one sitting. Just create a playlist with half the songs, listen to those for the next 3 years. Then listen to rest of the songs as if it is a new album, for the next three years.
If IM are still alive and able in 6 years, you will then be ready for the next album LOL

My, I'm happy to listen to them all on release.

I assume you don't have to listen to the whole album in one sitting. Just create a playlist with half the songs, listen to those for the next 3 years. Then listen to rest of the songs as if it is a new album, for the next three years.
If IM are still alive and able in 6 years, you will then be ready for the next album LOL

My, I'm happy to listen to them all on release.
Realistically he's concerned that the length means the songs are going to be bloated, which is fair enough.

Definitely going to log the replies to him from this thread for the next time somebody complains TAATG repeats the chorus too much though... :cool:

I'm really excited about the new album and I'm looking forward to it with an open mind as someone whose favourite era started in 1999. That said, I have a lot of mixed feelings about the reveal. I'm not a fan of the cover. Part 3D, part drawn - not very pleasant to look at if you ask me and I much prefer full illustrations as opposed to Eddie on plain background. For what it is, though, Eddie's design is pretty cool.

Two concerns more. First of all - double album again. I'm all for as much quality stuff as possible, but in reality there was quite some weak material on TBoS (songs or parts of songs) and I would be fine if it didn't make the cut. Secondly, the approach to writing. A lot of stuff on TBoS sounds slapped together and I suspect that's because they wrote in studio. I hoped it was a single experiment, but they did it again.

The tracks I'm looking forward to the most are the two co-written by Janick and the title track. TWotW shows Adrian in great form, so I'm pretty sure his input will be great. Steve's 3 epics in a row are intriguing too.

I've been a long time guest and finally decided to contribute myself. :)

I'm glad that you brought this up, cause it has been on my mind since October last year. Obviously, we all knew that they recorded the new album in 2019 (which was eventually confirmed today), but in October 2020 there was an article, which stated that "Iron Maiden have been in the studio, and are gagging and ready to go". It was based on a video message from Bruce to the fans offering an update on the sextet's current activity. Bruce said: "A lot of things haven't happened this year, that's blindingly obvious, and it's very, very frustrating,” the singer states. “However, we do have plans. In the meantime, what are we doing? Well, we're doing bits of writing. I'm talking to Steve [Harris]. We've been working together a little bit in the studio. On what, I can't tell you, ’cause they'd have to kill me.”

In a recent interview with Sunday Express, Bruce stated: "I've been writing stuff for Iron Maiden which I can't tell you about but I will be able to talk about it at the one-man show. It's exciting!"

I might interpret too much, but to me, these are all clues that Maiden have been begun writing songs for album #18. Senjutsu was finished two years ago and almost ready to go, so why would they return to the studio? Why would Bruce talk about stuff he has been writing for Iron Maiden, but can't tell us about, if this only regarded the 3 songs he is credited for on the new album (#17)?
I think there's something in this.
#17 was finished in 2019. If they were in the studio in 2020 that could have been to work on Nights of the Dead, but if Bruce is writing new material (and I accept that that might nkt actually be the case) that can only be for IM#18.
They might have decided that now they've run out of 80s tours to re-run they want to go out doing what they've always done - touring for a new album.

Back