New Single - The Writing on the Wall

I don’t know what’s not to like about it. The lyrics are as good as stuff like Trooper and 2 Minutes To Midnight, classic stuff. Almost biblical
The guitar sounds are the best they have been in decades. Bass and drums actually sound like gods of metal are playing them. ( that’s because they are)
Adrians guitar solo is maybe even better than his Stranger In A Strange Land solo. Which brings me to this...
When Wasted Years was first released, there was a sense of new born excitement among the fans. It sounded different yet totally Maiden. And it had a melodic edge which made it pretty accessible to people who wouldn’t normally listen to them.
I think the same with this song. My daughters love it. Though my eldest has been a fan for the last 2 years. Even the wife of the Beast absolutely loves it. I have the same feeling for the first time since 1986 about this.
What a time to be a Maiden fan.

As I pride my self to be the moaning king regarding the post-reunion albums....liking this new song speaks volumes. Sure it is all down to personal taste but I really like the song more with each listen. I do not even have to force me liking it for a change. Like the details and the layering of the guitars, I even like the drumming. Well done guys.

Last edited:
I'm sure I'm being stupid here but to my eyes the four biker Eddies of the Apocalypse seem to be five Eddies.

First, there's Killers Eddie with his axe, then Reaper Eddie, Cyborg Eddie and Powerslave Eddie. These seem to be the four horsemen written around the goat - Powerslave Eddie unleashes a plague of locusts so that makes him 'Plague', Killers Eddie could be 'Death', Cyborg Eddie is blasting away so I guess 'War', and if anyone could be 'Famine' I suppose Reaper Eddie, because of his scythe for harvesting crops?

But then there's a shot of Mayan Eddie on his bike. Where did he come from?

I don’t know what’s not to like about it. The lyrics are as good as stuff like Trooper and 2 Minutes To Midnight, classic stuff. Almost biblical
The guitar sounds are the best they have been in decades. Bass and drums actually sound like gods of metal are playing them. ( that’s because they are)
Adrians guitar solo is maybe even better than his Stranger In A Strange Land solo. Which brings me to this...
When Wasted Years was first released, there was a sense of new born excitement among the fans. It sounded different yet totally Maiden. And it had a melodic edge which made it pretty accessible to people who wouldn’t normally listen to them.
I think the same with this song. My daughters love it. Though my eldest has been a fan for the last 2 years. Even the wife of the Beast absolutely loves it. I have the same feeling for the first time since 1986 about this.
Wow we sure remember different reactions about what happened when wasted years was released.

After a gazzillion listens, i now think the first solo is not Dave but it is Janick, which is followed by his signature melodies

After a gazzillion listens, i now think the first solo is not Dave but it is Janick, which is followed by his signature melodies
Nope...

It's Davey 100%.

It sounds like he used his touring rig (JMP's) again, with tube screamer and uni-vibe again. The guitar sounds like a real humbucker (not Hot Rails), so my guess is the black Custom Shop Strat with 70's headstock with JB/Jazz set.

It reminds me of the pre-chorus in Mother of Mercy.

Now I know why I've been spinning this one so much lately. I mean, after finishing TWOW I always suddenly felt a strong urge to play Mother of Mercy, which used to be in the lower tier in the TFF songs for me, previously.

Wow we sure remember different reactions about what happened when wasted years was released.
Haha!
Well yeah I can only speak from the perspective of myself and the Maiden fans I knew at the time.....
I hope the album is as fresh and strong sounding as TWOTW.
I haven’t felt this excited about a Maiden album since 1986 to 1988....
IESF hinted at this direction, but this is a different level.
The lyrics are awesome!!
If this is the grand finale, then it is potentially gonna be the grandest.

Nope...

It's Davey 100%.

It sounds like he used his touring rig (JMP's) again, with tube screamer and uni-vibe again. The guitar sounds like a real humbucker (not Hot Rails), so my guess is the black Custom Shop Strat with 70's headstock with JB/Jazz set.
3.54-4.05.. can't reconcile those notes with Dave.

The concept of the video is scarily relevant and good, but if the animation for the whole video was like Samurai Eddie, then it would have been way better.
I really liked the video & thought it was wonderfully creative & original, but my 14yr old pointed out that it def seems inspired by the video for Disturbed's remake of Land of Confusion:

I'm sure I'm being stupid here but to my eyes the four biker Eddies of the Apocalypse seem to be five Eddies.

First, there's Killers Eddie with his axe, then Reaper Eddie, Cyborg Eddie and Powerslave Eddie. These seem to be the four horsemen written around the goat - Powerslave Eddie unleashes a plague of locusts so that makes him 'Plague', Killers Eddie could be 'Death', Cyborg Eddie is blasting away so I guess 'War', and if anyone could be 'Famine' I suppose Reaper Eddie, because of his scythe for harvesting crops?

Spotted exactly the same.

Well said! Any fan who says they hate the new single....I just don't get it.

The 4 biker Eddies can each take 4 different forms thus covering all 16 studio albums?

The concept of the video is scarily relevant and good, but if the animation for the whole video was like Samurai Eddie, then it would have been way better.
Go take a look at the animated movies Heavy Metal and Ralph Bakshi's Wizards. That style was what they were going for, I believe.

Back