New Single - The Writing on the Wall

After listening to it dozens of times:

Really like the production, might be the best since BNW to my ears. Song's pretty cool and one of my favorite singles of the reunion era. I love that Maiden keeps reinventing themselves and coming up with things like this. Excluding the "Play Classics" crowd, I can perfectly understand people who didnt't like this but love other reunion era albums. Imho, I love BNW and AMOLAD, really dig TBOS and have mixed feelings for TFF and DOD (very high highs but very low lows in both cases). Anyway, I very much like how basically every Maiden fan has a different favorite album, and I'm glad to see that repeating when we're talking about the reunion ones. I've seen people having each one of them as their favorite, and I think that's a really nice merit to have for any new Maiden single/album. Hell, I've seen people rate NPFTD as their favorite album when it's my least favorite by a mile, just shows how Maiden is varied and unique, only band I've seen something like that is Rush. Anyway, I'm pretty drunk right now but I hope what I wrote made sense, up the irons!! High expectations for album 17, love you all!

fantastic point. yep, Chemical Wedding sounds absolutely fantastic and (to me) where Bruce should be singing permanently now. even staying away from high notes/registers, the dude owns some of the best pipes and phrasing of ANY singer. gonna go listen to The Tower now - and, hey, how about Adrian's KILLER solo in that one???!
I'm starting to think some people here have no clue what high/low singing means. You seem to be referring to timbre as well? The Tower has him singing consistently in B4 which is Hallowed be thy Name territory. Just grab a guitar/piano and check the notes. The vocal melody of the verse in The Tower is higher than most of the notes in the TWOTW verse and chorus. Timbre is fooling you.

Last edited:
No Prayer for the Dying = The new album. Who knows what this new album will actually be like, but from this first single, people are getting No Prayer vibes.
Only because the triple-lead guitar harmony between the two solos has ''Mother Russia'' vibes. Apart from that, a pretty different song (typical for the reunion era) from the NPFTD album.
Don't know why so many on this thread are shocked Adrian wrote lyrics. He wrote lyrics for 3 songs on SIT.
People are just surprised because he finally wrote lyrics for a Maiden song again after 1986.
Kevin Shirley has done an excellent job on the live albums,
That's true.
Track #2 or #3 makes sense to set up the rest of the album.
Given the other first singles (from the reunion albums) placements, Track #2 or #3 is very likely - I guess: #3 position.

The song will work well as an album closer, but I think they again will put an epic as the last song in the album.
6. One more thing...I also see comments here, Youtube, Facebook, etc, that Maiden are writing songs like this because they are older. This is a silly notion. Maiden write songs like this because they want to. They've written slower and more steady songs ever since their inception, and they're as likely to play another song just as fast as they ever did. This isn't a case of old people not being able to play as fast. It's a case of people just doing what they want, fast, slow, medium, whatever. Book of Souls should've proven that they can still tear shit up when they want to, as that album has a lot more power and speed than it's two predecessors.
^ Completely agree. Spot on about TBOS album.

I was 20 when BNW came out. I'm almost....27 now. Getting older.
Yes, but at a slower rate than most humans. I feel I’ve aged 27 years since Covid began.

6. One more thing...I also see comments here, Youtube, Facebook, etc, that Maiden are writing songs like this because they are older. This is a silly notion. Maiden write songs like this because they want to.
And as evidenced when last playing live on LOTB they still have the ability to play their 80s rockers (TETMD, The Trooper etc) at a faster pace than the recorded version.

C'mon lads.

Adrian didn't write those lyrics, it's Bruce all over. Biblical imagery and metaphors and a message not a million miles away from Public Enema Number One. "hollywood to babylon" is essentially the exact same point as "california dreaming as the earth dies screaming".

No they can't, pretty sure they lack creativity
No one is able to write a Powerslave 2. Not only because of its greatness, but also due to its relevance. It was relevant in the era of the 80's. The world, the human beings, the bands should evolve.

As for the writing on the wall, I really like the song, especially after 5-6 listens. I adore that they try new things, and this shows that they love what they do, since, even in this stage of their career they want to explore new territories. It is not something completely new, you immediately understand that this is a Maiden song. But it has some elements which are somewhat new for them. Also, I really like the fact that it is 6 minutes long, and the time passes very fast. It lacks the unnecessary parts and repetitions which have ruined many wonderful ideas and songs in the past. I hope this will apply to the whole album.

As for the YouTube video, it is a pity that the audio is so bad... Who listened to it and said, "oh great, it is ready, lets give this to the public"? It ruins such a nice video. I can't easily accept such mistakes from a band of this caliber. I don't want to see the video again just for this reason.

I am really excited for the new album, and I feel extremely lucky that this band is still in our lives, and they even create new music!

Ok. What exactly is so creative about these songs that you're using them as a benchmark? Maybe im missing something.

Ok. What exactly is so creative about these songs that you're using them as a benchmark? Maybe im missing something.
Flash of the blade:The guitar intro for start, the double vocal harmonies on the chorus. The whole chorus isn't lazy (Have you seen the writing on the writing on the wall? Have you seen that writing?) The interludes are tasty, the breakdown is so fucking awesome. Flash of the blade inspired artists like avenged sevenfold.

This is the lead single of the album and for sure it will be played during the album tour - my question is: who will play the acoustic intro live? Janick (as usual) or Adrian this time... maybe Adrian, because the song has his writing credits.

So - nothing special music wise in duelist. Basic stuff in flash of the blade. So much about 'creativity'. You've talked about creativity on powerslave and yet you are talking about Basic stuff or about other bands. Half songs on powerslave are boring and they have nothing special in them, H solo on TWOTW has more things going on that these 4 songs together.

This is the lead single of the album and for sure it will be played during the album tour - my question is: who will play the acoustic intro live? Janick (as usual) or Adrian this time... maybe Adrian, because the song has his writing credits.
I would say - Adrian. I think that this is something that he would enjoy very much.

Jesus... A band is a living thing. It evolves. And every record is a snapshot of the band at that point in time.

So... Enjoy Maiden while they are still putting out new music. If you don't enjoy the new music... Just walk away and don't listen to it. As simple as that. Maiden's sands are running low and every song they put out is a gift. Considering everything that has happened in last 5-6 years.

Back