New Single - The Writing on the Wall

I fully agree with you. The guy can still sing, no about about it, and he can still hit those notes, but he sounds so strained doing it. I know it’s over 20 years old now, but The Chemical Wedding is a prime example of what Bruce can do with an entire album where he spends a lot of time staying away from the upper registers, with a tuned down band behind him.
fantastic point. yep, Chemical Wedding sounds absolutely fantastic and (to me) where Bruce should be singing permanently now. even staying away from high notes/registers, the dude owns some of the best pipes and phrasing of ANY singer. gonna go listen to The Tower now - and, hey, how about Adrian's KILLER solo in that one???!

Maiden should have tuned to Eb 10 years ago. Sebastian Bach also plays in the original key, takes pride in it but should tune down as well. Just because you can don't mean you should or that it has to. The voice naturally gets lower with age. Take the toll of touring into account and it should be a no brainer.
I'd just hope the songs come off decent if they downtune. Some bands that have been forced to downtune ended up making their songs sound like mud in doing so.

Anyone else see how the post-reunion albums mirror the classics?

Number of the Beast = Brave New World Both are introductions of Bruce, both relatively straightforward.
Piece of Mind = Dance of Death A slight evolution. Highest highs, but also some lows.
Powerslave = A Matter of Life and Death The final statement of this era of Maiden. Both perfected on what came before. Also heavier in sound.
Somewhere in Time = The Final Frontier Getting a bit weird with their sound, a bit prog.
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son = The Book of Souls Ambition and scope.
No Prayer for the Dying = The new album. Who knows what this new album will actually be like, but from this first single, people are getting No Prayer vibes.
Leaving aside your personal narrative (I don't agree, but to each their own) could somebody precisely explain what the "No Prayer vibes" are?

I don't really get it. That was a stripped down album that eschewed the long, grandiose compositions that had slowly been shifting into focus for a while. WOTW doesn't fit that specification at all.

fantastic point. yep, Chemical Wedding sounds absolutely fantastic and (to me) where Bruce should be singing permanently now. even staying away from high notes/registers, the dude owns some of the best pipes and phrasing of ANY singer. gonna go listen to The Tower now - and, hey, how about Adrian's KILLER solo in that one???!
Yes, great solo. Your point about Bruce’s phrasing is spot on, that along with the fact that his enunciation was always so good in a genre where that can be very difficult. I think that’s the thing I’m not really crazy about on TWOTW, it’s like everything about the vocals feels just slightly off enough to bug me. Though I do like how he sounds in the chorus. But, it’s Bruce and Maiden, and I know there will be several songs on this album where it all comes together perfectly.

I'd just hope the songs come off decent if they downtune. Some bands that have been forced to downtune ended up making their songs sound like mud in doing so.
I think they'd work great. Half a step always sounds great for my taste, like Priest does, for instance. Once you go a full step however, things can get wobbly *coughs* Megadeth.

Yes, great solo. Your point about Bruce’s phrasing is spot on, that along with the fact that his enunciation was always so good in a genre where that can be very difficult. I think that’s the thing I’m not really crazy about on TWOTW, it’s like everything about the vocals feels just slightly off enough to bug me. Though I do like how he sounds in the chorus. But, it’s Bruce and Maiden, and I know there will be several songs on this album where it all comes together perfectly.
i won't listen to the new tune again until i can get a decent copy. want to hear it as it was intended rather than through YT etc. but, yeah, i'm hearing that same congested thick overly-mid-range verse vocal that has been a hallmark since TFF to my ears. very hard to discern the lyrics last 2.1 albums for me. honestly, guys hearing goes to sh*t past age 50 so i can see everyone in the studio just kinda nodding theirs heads to bad sound bc they honestly can't tell the difference any more !

I think they'd work great. Half a step always sounds great for my taste, like Priest does, for instance. Once you go a full step however, things can get wobbly *coughs* Megadeth.
part of the reason they drop tune (at least M'deth) is not only can Dave not sing high/snarly AT ALL anymore but the very complex guitar parts are easier to play in drop or open tunings. playing some of their RIP or CTE stuff live in regular tuning is an absolute bitch.

Reactions: Yax
i won't listen to the new tune again until i can get a decent copy. want to hear it as it was intended rather than through YT etc. but, yeah, i'm hearing that same congested thick overly-mid-range verse vocal that has been a hallmark since TFF to my ears. very hard to discern the lyrics last 2.1 albums for me. honestly, guys hearing goes to sh*t past age 50 so i can see everyone in the studio just kinda nodding theirs heads to bad sound bc they honestly can't tell the difference any more!
That‘s one of the reasons I went with the Paradigm 9H speakers, the beryllium drivers are bright, and the whole speaker seems to be voiced a bit bright, so I figured, as I approach 50 and lose more of those high end frequencies, I better make up for it somehow, lol.

That‘s one of the reasons I went with the Paradigm 9H speakers, the beryllium drivers are bright, and the whole speaker seems to be voiced a bit bright, so I figured, as I approach 50 and lose more of those high end frequencies, I better make up for it somehow, lol.
i owned Paradigm Reference Studio 100's for over 15 years and loved those speakers. haven't heard the Persona series but i know Stereophile etc are all very keen on them. yeah, metal domes are usually too bight but as you get older less so. i switched to MartinLogans last year ESL 11's and while i used to find ML's a bit forward and the lower-midrange a little too biting, now, in my late 40's, i find them absolutely perfect for quality listening to any genre. ps - love the new Paradigm Foundry series - look awesome!

Off topic a bit, and I suppose I could look for YouTube footage, but I’d rather not be super disappointed, is Sebastian‘s voice totally shot these days?

I was going to say I seen him recently and he sounded great but then realised that was 2014:lol:

That was 23 years ago

Off topic a bit, and I suppose I could look for YouTube footage, but I’d rather not be super disappointed, is Sebastian‘s voice totally shot these days? Slave To The Grind was such a fantastic vocal performance (and great album all the way around) I saw them several times on that tour with Pantera opening, and Sebastian was so good live. I saw him one more time on the Subhuman Race tour and he didn’t sound nearly as good.

Dickinson vs Tate vs Halford ---Bruce owns it

Halford vs Bach (this seems to have been produced by Kevin Shirley) ---Bach sounds rough

i won't listen to the new tune again until i can get a decent copy. want to hear it as it was intended rather than through YT etc. but, yeah, i'm hearing that same congested thick overly-mid-range verse vocal that has been a hallmark since TFF to my ears. very hard to discern the lyrics last 2.1 albums for me. honestly, guys hearing goes to sh*t past age 50 so i can see everyone in the studio just kinda nodding theirs heads to bad sound bc they honestly can't tell the difference any more !
Get it free on Spotify, sounds much better. Paid for it on iTunes so I can play in my SUV. Have a premium audio system with 10 speakers and it sounds fantastic on that.

Maybe Shirley and the band fooled us and took parts of both guys ;)
First half definitely sounds like Dave (that legato playing). That last bit makes me doubt.

the outro lead is also Dave (like his stuff in Out of the Shadows)
Speaking of Shirley...earlier in the thread (might have been @Dr. Eddies Wingman ) was mentioned with earbuds you can more easily hear the channel separation of the 3 guitarists. I agree in regards to the rhythm but about the lead...

On Book of Souls Shirley put Dave's lead in left channel (same as live lps). But if this 1st solo is Dave (I now agree it is) it is in the center channel with H's lead also (instead of the left channel where it belongs). This was partially why I was thinking H played the 1st one.

Shirley never has been consistent about which channel he puts the guys in.
On AMOLAD, sometimes Janick's rhythm is in right channel; other times (same lp) in the center!
On BOS, all Janick lead in center channel but in Live BOS lp, Janick is in right channel.

Make up your mind Shirley!

Listen...we can say what we want. It has been 6 years since any original maiden music.
This song is something different and a real Adrian tour de force.
Bodes well for the album
Trying to get a great sound out of it on my various systems

Back