Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I watched Titanic for the first time a couple nights ago and I genuinely did not expect to be as moved as I was. I have never cried so much during a movie.

I also have “My Heart Will Go On” living rent free in my head and it’s not leaving. Which isn’t a bad thing, it’s a fantastic song, but I’d like to move on already... :/
My friend and I saw it when it was in theaters. Truly an amazing and very sad movie.

This is quite interesting

wkfirfdnevu61.jpg

The largest group of people scores the highest. I think this is also indicative of the issue of IQ in genetics vs IQ in upbringing.

About 20 years ago, Germany scored so poorly on this that it became a political issue. I see we've improved a bit, especially compared to other European countries.

No idea. But I wantt to stress that PISA results are to be taken with a large chunk of salt. First and foremost, standardized testing is problematic by default, but the fact that only a portion of schools and students partake leaves wiggle room for, errh, embellishment.

Other factors are problematic as well, like immigration and such in a test result environment- In Sweden's 2018 participation, it varied where the line was drawn as to what students to include. Have the immigrated students been here for half a year, a year or three years? The local application of this varied (I'm not sure if PISA has stipulated how to go about this which would leave room for variations on both local and national levels, which makes comparisons more difficult) which has prompted some serious follow up questions from PISA. If freshly immigrated students, who had been in school for two months or so were included it would of course have had an effect on the test result on reading comprehension. But how has this varied between participating countries? No idea, all I know is that this handling sparked questions from the PISA organization.

I also seem to recall there was an issue of digitalization of the test as well in 2015 or so (might have been TIMMS instead of PISA but essentially the same things) which complicated comparisons between countries with different levels of domestic digitalization, but also between previous testing years, since the testing itself changed.

Then there's the fact that PISA has essentially turned into a global competition, which serves as a motivator to inflate or embellish results.

Last edited:
Then there's the fact that PISA has essentially turned into a global competition, which serves as a motivator to inflate or embellish results.

Just like IQ scores.
It doesn't need to be just inflation of results, you can straight out work and practice all of these exams, including IQ tests.

PISA test I don't know much about. I just googled it and I find it very shady, cause this is the example of the ultimate, level 6 math question :

Pisa-test-question-1a.jpg

If this is it, average child can knock this out with adequate preparation.

Reactions: Yax
What happened to the school olympics anyways? Wasn't that the prestige competition of schooling?

I almost had a shot representing my country in Argentina or somewhere, back in 7th grade. Our robotics project was a runner-up on state competitions but individual score was generated from this and from a theory test, because it's the person that goes to olympics and not the project. Theory test was rigged, I ended up 6th overall, my mate 7th and that was it.

Just like IQ scores.
It doesn't need to be just inflation of results, you can straight out work and practice all of these exams, including IQ tests.

PISA test I don't know much about. I just googled it and I find it very shady, cause this is the example of the ultimate, level 6 math question :

Pisa-test-question-1a.jpg

If this is it, average child can knock this out with adequate preparation.
The whole trip was 7 km long and took 15 minutes = 0.25 hours, so 7/0.25=28

The first part of the journey was 4 km and took 9 min = 0.15 hours, so 4/0.15=26 2/3 (or 26.666...). The second part was 3 km and took 6 min, so 3/0.1=30 km. The arithmetic mean would then be (30+26 2/3)/2=28 1/3 km/h.

Which solution is correct? I might be overthinking the second solution but it’s been 4 years since high school math exams and I don’t remember :turd:.

Okay, we’re calculating the average speed of the whole journey, not the mean of segments of the journey, so the second approach makes no sense.

The issue is the routes are of different length. If you do the average of averages approach you'll yield an error, a small error because the routes are of nearly the same length and the numbers are low enough. But those are two distinctive routes, both having different average speeds.

I did stare into this for a half a minute before I said to myself nah it's no trick question with some elaborate math behind it. It's just the sum of legs.

Another erroneus rounding approach would be to scale the second to 4 km and then use average between the two, it would come down to about 27.5. It is not correct because the bike rider did not travel 4 km at that speed.

Think about it, this is a question for 16 y.olds and it can be answered straight out the bat by people who haven't touched math in ages. It is not something I'd put as a ceilling so I'll go with Yax and say that PISA is a bit bullshit. Also I've read on the net that Q&A pdfs are accessible even before the yearly exam, so there's that.

Back