Short-answer questions

Is there anywhere to get a digital copy of the radio version of The Wicker Man?

should be able to pick up the promo on ebay, according to this site the average price should be about €23 euros, https://maidenargus.blogspot.com/search/label/083 - The Wicker Man (2000)

01%2B-%2BWicker%2BCD%2BUSA%2Bpromo.JPG

Was there a reason why Martin Birch retired from producing records when he did? He was only 43 when he produced his last album (Fear of the Dark), which is hardly an age to retire at even if he had been working since his early 20s. I find it surprising he quit when so relatively young. I'm sure he could have carried on producing the odd Maiden record every 3 years or so if he had really wanted to. Has it ever been discussed in more detail?

Was there a reason why Martin Birch retired from producing records when he did? He was only 43 when he produced his last album (Fear of the Dark), which is hardly an age to retire at even if he had been working since his early 20s. I find it surprising he quit when so relatively young. I'm sure he could have carried on producing the odd Maiden record every 3 years or so if he had really wanted to. Has it ever been discussed in more detail?
First thing you have to consider is that Martin used to work around the clock. He did one album, then went to the next, then the next and so forth.... Also he used to be very intense while working, something that according to himself, took great effort mentally and physically to the extent he used to end up pretty drained at the end of an album session... The third thing to consider is, and you have to remember that by 92 Martin was only producing Maiden, he started to disagree with Harris "sound-vision" so he decided to retire for his sanity and enjoy the work of his lifetime.

It could be true. Martin Birch wasn't right with some decisions in No Prayer for the Dying album. For example Steve and Bruce wanted to record that album in the barn with the Rolling Stones Mobile studio and Martin thought it wasn't a good idea and do its best. I have read in many Bruce interviews saying that the sound and production was shit in No prayer so I suppose that Martin wasn't very happy with what Bruce said about that.

In my opinion that album sounds better than Fear of the Dark and knowing that Steve put his hands on production, maybe the "sound-vision" disagree was true.

Last edited:
I actually just re-listned to the whole album for the first time in ages last week and I just assumed it was Bruce. :facepalm:
Relating to this, has Bruce actually done any of the spoken intros on a Maiden song? I'm trying to think off hand here and I can't think of any.

Back