Official 2020 Tour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for For the Greater Good of God,
it's a huge song in a very beloved album that band has very often stated as something they're very, very proud of.
Not to mention that it deals with two very prominent lyrical themes thorough their discography; war & religion.

I don't think this points that a certain song will return to the setlist.
To Tame a Land is just something that I personally don't see any slot to fall into when it comes to future sets, but obviously, I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

Nobody expected ''Another Life'' to be played in 2005 (while ''Killers'', FOI, 22AA were omitted) / or ''Lord Of The Flies to be played in 2003... so, :p

Think For the Greater Good of God and The Evil That Men Do will get swapped and that's it. I could see TETMD's replacement being either Running Free or Sanctuary. Now, if they were to replace Greater Good, maybe they'd dust off Heaven Can Wait to keep it on theme?

I don't think this points that a certain song will return to the setlist.

I agree, but given that it was already played (obviously) with a current lineup, it's mentioned status, even if it receives somewhat mixed views too, and covering the core concept of the planned show brilliantly, it's an entirely different matter than returning something like To Tame a Land. I agree about 2005 surprises and such, but that show had a very distinct focus on certain period of Maiden history anyway, so yes, some huge surprises from that era ended up being played. They're all relatively short songs that are much easier to throw in than To Tame a Land, for example; should it happen, it would indeed be a show centerpiece and an integral part of the setlist flow.

And when it comes to songs like that, especially during album tour, they already have such an extensive pool to pick that type of songs from.

One or two new ones, modern classics like Dance of Death, Paschendale and the mentioned Greater Good of God to mention a few. And from the most special classic epics, they already have Rime and 7th Son "tested" and much more ready to go, should they feel like it.

Pretty much the same obstacles are there for Alexander. The role it would play in the set is one that already has such a wide variety of other contenders to choose from that I find it highly unlikely for To Tame a Land or Alexander to be even considered. But, as said, I'm glad if my assumption is proven to be an incorrect one. :D

I agree, but given that it was already played (obviously) with a current lineup, it's mentioned status, even if it receives somewhat mixed views too, and covering the core concept of the planned show brilliantly, it's an entirely different matter than returning something like To Tame a Land. I agree about 2005 surprises and such, but that show had a very distinct focus on certain period of Maiden history anyway, so yes, some huge surprises from that era ended up being played. They're all relatively short songs that are much easier to throw in than To Tame a Land, for example; should it happen, it would indeed be a show centerpiece and an integral part of the setlist flow.

And when it comes to songs like that, especially during album tour, they already have such an extensive pool to pick that type of songs from.

One or two new ones, modern classics like Dance of Death, Paschendale and the mentioned Greater Good of God to mention a few. And from the most special classic epics, they already have Rime and 7th Son "tested" and much more ready to go, should they feel like it.

Pretty much the same obstacles are there for Alexander. The role it would play in the set is one that already has such a wide variety of other contenders to choose from that I find it highly unlikely for To Tame a Land or Alexander to be even considered. But, as said, I'm glad if my assumption is proven to be an incorrect one. :D

They find space for more epics during tours:

LOTB tour: Clansman, FTGGOG, SOTC
TBOS tour: title track and TRATB
TFF tour: Talisman and WTWWB
AMOALD tour: that was a exception, because they played the whole album, which is full of epics.
DOD tour: title track and Paschendale

Greater Good is the centerpiece during LOTB tour / the title track was the centerpiece during TBOS tour - and they played more epics. So, it will not be a problem.

Greater Good is the centerpiece during LOTB tour / the title track was the centerpiece during TBOS tour - and they played more epics. So, it will not be a problem.

Yet the challenges remain: unless they actually craft an album/show heavily inspired by Dune or Ancient Greece, it's hard for me to see how To Tame a Land or Alexander would fit end up in the set as there is already a huge, and still growing, selection of epic songs with strong narrative to choose from, regardless if it's one, two or three of those in the set.

Of course, it's possible. I just don't see how it would happen, given that even when most adventurous, there's still certain obligations and structural rules which make rehearsing and including this kind of a song that...

a) has only been played during one tour and never with current lineup
b) already has a lot of competition by songs with similar structure, strenghts and role/"purpose" that have been played at least once after their debut
c) isn't excatly era-defining (at least to same extent as Hallowed or Rime) song or relatively easy classic song with a huge status to dust off after decades and absolutely blow the roof off in every single venue (aka. Icarus)

...hard.

Shorter songs, such as Tailgunner are in a tight spot too; there's loads of other, probably better, options to choose from instead and the obscurity or oddity of it's setlist inclusion alone doesn't weight too much when it comes to making these decisions around giving the best show possible.

At least that's how I believe. You never know though. :)

I actually think ATG has more chance to be played live than TTAL to be played again.

That said, both those percentages need to be represented in milli unit-prefixes.

I agree about this. The drama and delivery of Alexander is indeed something that is perhaps more realistically considered for a Maiden show these days, but yeah, as you said... :D

As for setlist changes and possibilities in general, I do believe 1-3 changes for next year are possible and I expect the next tour to be interestingly constructed too.

My intention is to see at least one, maybe two shows next year and therefore I wouldn't mind small changes, but if they can keep the level of performance as energetic and inspired as it has been during this run, I'd be happy enough to see the same set too.

One last time.

Yet the challenges remain: unless they actually craft an album/show heavily inspired by Dune or Ancient Greece, it's hard for me to see how To Tame a Land or Alexander would fit end up in the set...

Why you think this way? COTD (yeah it's not a epic and it was played live a couple of times before) was played during TBOS tour and the song is not about the Mayan civilization.... and it is somehow a deep cut./ Any song can be played on any tour, if the band decides to play it.

Wish they would do a tour like priest is promising for there 50th to dive deep into there catalog playing rare and never preformed songs , imagine what maiden could come up with. Dropping. 666, trooper, fotd, hills, from the set and opening it right up.

The 2 deepest cuts that might return to the set at this point are 22 Acacia Avenue and Stranger In A Strange Land (both are Nicko's requests and the band usually listens to Nicko's say with the sets. They did that with TOAC, WED and FOI). Maybe Infinite Dreams too, but we still don't know why it was dropped, so maybe they found out that it doesn't work anymore.

Everything beyond that is probably utopia at this point.

Why you think this way? COTD (yeah it's not a epic and it was played live a couple of times before) was played during TBOS tour and the song is not about the Mayan civilization.... and it is somehow a deep cut./ Any song can be played on any tour, if the band decides to play it.

Book Of Souls' setlist was based on the Mayan theme very loosely (basically, it wasn't with the exception of the title track and maybe Powerslave). LOTB's main set is much more connectned to the stage themes.

Of course any song can be played, but my point is that such complex and unexpected cuts like To Tame a Land and/or Alexander would need some very special reason and excuse to be even considered. Something to give enough reason to really give them that huge rehearsing effort.

Legacy of the Beast show concept brought Sign of The Cross into the play and I believe visual setting for TBOS tour was the final, if not the most essential element to secure Powerslave's role in that set.

Long story short, I don't see how those mentioned, very special longer songs would come into serious consideration if there isn't some very exact element to support that huge effort to bring them into play, rehearse and play night after night.

(Obs, @matic22 already said basically the same, but yeah, anyway)

Book Of Souls' setlist was based on the Mayan theme very loosely (basically, it wasn't with the exception of the title track and maybe Powerslave)
I'll tell Horus you've counted him as a Mayan! :D

Legacy of the Beast show concept
It does not take a Hollywood screenwriter to think up the "concept" of LOTB. They might rewrite it in order to fit a different selection of songs (and they can afford the change in props and backdrops too).

The 2 deepest cuts that might return to the set at this point are 22 Acacia Avenue and Stranger In A Strange Land (both are Nicko's requests and the band usually listens to Nicko's say with the sets. They did that with TOAC, WED and FOI). Maybe Infinite Dreams too, but we still don't know why it was dropped, so maybe they found out that it doesn't work anymore.

Everything beyond that is probably utopia at this point.

What about NPFTD? Isn't that song was speculated to be rehearsed for the ME tour, or I remembered wrong?
Of course any song can be played, but my point is that such complex and unexpected cuts like To Tame a Land and/or Alexander would need some very special reason and excuse to be even considered. Something to give enough reason to really give them that huge rehearsing effort.

Legacy of the Beast show concept brought Sign of The Cross into the play and I believe visual setting for TBOS tour was the final, if not the most essential element to secure Powerslave's role in that set.

Long story short, I don't see how those mentioned, very special longer songs would come into serious consideration if there isn't some very exact element to support that huge effort to bring them into play, rehearse and play night after night.

(Obs, @matic22 already said basically the same, but yeah, anyway)

IRYO. I thought that ATG was perfect to be played on LOTB and TBOS tours. The stage designs are amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back