Official 2020 Tour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are forgiving Rod here.
I think Rod is the seventh member of the band along with Andy Taylor (the 8th). He always goes with the band and I think if he retires from the business, Steve and Bruce are very close to Nicko and Rod so I think he and the rest of the band will retire.

I do not see Rod retiring any time soon. The money is still flowing in and, let’s face it, his activity is not the most physically demanding one.

So there is possibility of them going Judas Priest way? I'm on the fence. it's great that they want to play etc. But I would not go to the show if they will get another drummer just to fill for Nicko.

I don't get the problem with a possible replacement drummer as long as he can play well. You barely even see Nicko when you go to their concert.

I don't get the problem with a possible replacement drummer as long as he can play well. You barely even see Nicko when you go to their concert.

It would come down to if Steve was ready to call it a day when Nicko couldn't do it anymore and with Bruce recent comments he doesnt see a reason for maiden to ever retire I can see them getting in a touring drummer for a few years

Thanks for the info, @Luisma , this is very interesting.

Personally, I'd miss Nicko a lot, but I think I'd be accepting of a new drummer. But I'm not sure where I'd draw the line.

Always a pleasure to collaborate @Perun I must say that you are also one of the fans here I appreciate and consider top notch so I would gladly share info with the likes of you.

If Nicko leaves, I don't believe Maiden would continue to be honest.

Just to entertain ourselves... Why would they stop? Let's be pretty clear here:

Bruce, Steve, Adrian and Janick are still very fit and quite able to do what they do. I can easily see them going for 10 more years.

Dave could also keep going for 10 years although he's has not taken the best care of his health (he has gained a few pounds in the latter years) so again the question is... Why would Maiden retire?

We have solid proof that Maiden has never EVER stopped because of sentimental reasons... And the only time we did came close for Maiden calling it quits was when Bruce was ill and this was a completely different kind of scenario. They (STEVE) had already seen that replacing Bruce is near impossible so that's the reason why they wouldn't go on if Bruce wasn't able didn't want to soooo....

Honestly at this point if Nicko or any other band member is seeing that the end is nigh with regards to their performing ability I would rather the band just wrap it up and call it a day.

The idea of seeing some Frankenstein's monster version of Maiden with long-time members chopped out for hired guns fills me with foreboding, it's never been a good look for any band in my opinion.

slippery slope toward really looking like a cabaret act
Leagcy of the Beast part 3 isn't slippery enough for you?

Thanks for the info @Luisma - that was very interesting to read. I for one would be accepting of a stand-in drummer if Nicko can't continue with touring. It would be strange to see someone much younger playing with Iron Maiden, and stranger still to see them without Nicko! The man is a unique character. However, there will always be an appetite for more Iron Maiden tours and if the rest of the band are still able to tour then I see no reason why they shouldn't continue to perform, especially if its one last world tour to say goodbye.

Leagcy of the Beast part 3 isn't slippery enough for you?

Thanks for the info @Luisma - that was very interesting to read. I for one would be accepting of a stand-in drummer if Nicko can't continue with touring. It would be strange to see someone much younger playing with Iron Maiden, and stranger still to see them without Nicko! The man is a unique character. However, there will always be an appetite for more Iron Maiden tours and if the rest of the band are still able to tour then I see no reason why they shouldn't continue to perform, especially if its one last world tour to say goodbye.

My greatest pleasure @BlackWizard. As I said before, it is my greatest pleasure to share what I can with the Maiden community.

Another chip into this matter would be. Can someone mention one technical (not sentimental reason) why Maiden shouldn't continue without Nicko? I mean, I love Nicko, the 2 times I have met him, his been totally amicable and he IS a character, however, I like Maiden because of its music and if some can provide the sound I love in the band, might as well welcome him.

My greatest pleasure @BlackWizard. As I said before, it is my greatest pleasure to share what I can with the Maiden community.

Another chip into this matter would be. Can someone mention one technical (not sentimental reason) why Maiden shouldn't continue without Nicko? I mean, I love Nicko, the 2 times I have met him, his been totally amicable and he IS a character, however, I like Maiden because of its music and if some can provide the sound I love in the band, might as well welcome him.

How about Nicko helping create that sounds with his technical drumming since 1983? His drumming skills definitely allowed Steve (and the rest) get more adventurous musically.

Bruce sums it up perfectly here (from 1:20:30 into the video)

How about Nicko helping create that sounds with his technical drumming since 1983? His drumming skills definitely allowed Steve (and the rest) get more adventurous musically.

Bruce sums it up perfectly here (from 1:20:30 into the video)

Nicko's playing has changed through the years. Listen RTTH or TWM through the years and listen to it now. Who says that with a new drummer the band would not change for the better? Also, imagine if indeed it was Joe Lazarus or Nicholas McBrain (both basically learnt to play drums with Nicko) who would replace Nicko, they (Maiden) would beasically have a sort of Nicko's clon. ;)

Idk, I wouldn’t mind seeing Maiden with a different drummer. I would still go to the shows. Anyone saying they wouldn’t is crazy.
I wouldn't. It feels like the kind of cabaret act thing Maiden would normally be totally opposed to. Personally, I like Nicko and his unique style of drumming, which actually was a big draw for me when I first got into Maiden coming from listening to other bands with less consistent drumming. I don't think it'd feel right if they replaced him now.

Last edited:
It all depends on how they handle this matter. If Nicko is still part of the band, he records in the studio and they just tour with a touring drummer, I'm fine with that. But if they cut Nicko off completely, I would rather see them retire.

I also understand, why they had a drummer on stand-by this year. If Nicko was not 100% before the tour, it's easier to have someone on stand-by than risking a potential fincancial disaster by cancelling half of the tour, becuase Nicko can't play. However, replacing him completely is a different story.

Just for example, Gary Moore, when he was alive, he injured his hand and cancelled the tour (in 2005 or so). The financial loss for that (he was a club-sized act at that time) was circa 2 million Euros, because of the age and he needed to sell Greeny, the 59 Les Paul to cover the costs, since the insurance didn't cover that because of his age. Now, if this happened with Nicko, Maiden's expenses would be in the 100-200 million (or even more, since they are touring overseas and not in Europe this year) Euros or so, which is a financial disaster.

Nicko's playing has changed through the years. Listen RTTH or TWM through the years and listen to it now. Who says that with a new drummer the band would not change for the better? Also, imagine if indeed it was Joe Lazarus or Nicholas McBrain (both basically learnt to play drums with Nicko) who would replace Nicko, they (Maiden) would beasically have a sort of Nicko's clon. ;)

Maiden are on their victory lap right now, approaching the end of their illustrious career. I would understand having to replace Nicko to finish a tour if he is not able to do it for health reasons, but I would be against a permanent replacement. In my humble opinion, each of the 6 band members is an integral part of the band and I'd rather see them bow out gracefully than turn into an AC/DC-esque parody of themselves.

It all depends on how they handle this matter. If Nicko is still part of the band, he records in the studio and they just tour with a touring drummer, I'm fine with that. But if they cut Nicko off completely, I would rather see them retire.

I also understand, why they had a drummer on stand-by this year. If Nicko was not 100% before the tour, it's easier to have someone on stand-by than risking a potential fincancial disaster by cancelling half of the tour, becuase Nicko can't play. However, replacing him completely is a different story.

Just for example, Gary Moore, when he was alive, he injured his hand and cancelled the tour (in 2005 or so). The financial loss for that (he was a club-sized act at that time) was circa 2 million Euros, because of the age and he needed to sell Greeny, the 59 Les Paul to cover the costs, since the insurance didn't cover that because of his age. Now, if this happened with Nicko, Maiden's expenses would be in the 100-200 million (or even more, since they are touring overseas and not in Europe this year) Euros or so, which is a financial disaster.

I know Prince lost his bollocks as well having to cancel a tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back