365 Albums In One Year

Yep, Metal Machine Music is excellent. It was very well received by critics at the time and in fact landed Lou Reed a lucrative new deal with his record company.

I heard this is where one goes to say they don't like the Beatles. I don't like the Beatles. Or any other band from before the '80s.

newsm49.gif

You’re probably sick of getting recommendations but I have a good one for you. Since you liked Lulu so much you might like Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed. It’s regarded as a classic amongst his fan base and totally not a waste of 64:11 of your life. You will like this album more than Master of Puppets. Throughout your listen on this album you will realize that Lou Reed is a god amongst men. I would love to see you review this album more than anything else.
Yep, Metal Machine Music is excellent. It was very well received by critics at the time and in fact landed Lou Reed a lucrative new deal with his record company.
I know about MMM. It’s actually an album I already have on my list.

28/365
Bon_jovi_slippery_when_wet.jpg

Slippery When Wet - Bon Jovi
Format: Vinyl

Let It Rock - An arena sized Keyboard intro opens up "Slippery". Let It Rock builds some suspense and it shows off all the key parts of Bon Jovi, Jon's charasmastic vocals, Ritchies fine guitarwork, Davids keyboards put their work in and Tico works the drums keeping the beat. This song is a great way to open up the album although it could be argued that "Bad Name" should have been the opener. A great opener and an underrated Bon Jovi song. 8.5/10

You Give Love A Bad Name - What likely should of been the opener makes itself known instantly. A radio staple with an infectious chorus, great guitar work, a great rock song that is well known outside of the rock community and people go crazy for it. I will not lie there has been many times I have lost my voice singing along to this song. An amazing track - 9.5/10

Livin On A Prayer - I knew when I first hear Prayer that I had to hear more. The classic anthem about a working class couple is one of the crown jewels on Bon Jovi's catalogue. Another infectious hit with an amazing chorus and a great solo. It is hard to believe it was nearly left off the album - 10/10

Social Disease - The instrumentation of this song is wonderful. I dislike the lyrics so much that it ruins the song for me. I would have much prefered Edge of A Broken Heart being on the album instead of this one. (Which would have made the album perfect imho). - 6/10

Wanted Dead Or Alive - The 3rd classic anthem on this first side of this album. This power ballad of sorts opens with some great guitar work from Sambora. A crowd sing a long for sure. The guitar solo and breakdown is great. An excellent way to close off side 1 - 9.5/10

Raise Your Hands - A ripping opener to side 2 is another classic crowd pleaser from Bon Jovi. This song has a heavier feel to it but holds all the qualities that made "Bad Name" and "Prayer" amazing songs, just to a slightly lesser extent due to the heavier feel. This song is highly effective live it was designed for arenas and it is one hell of a song. - 9/10

Without Love - Poppy sound comes back in full force for this song. The hook pulls me in every time, the chorus is a little calmer than the verses. I really like this song but it isn't quite on par with the anthems onslaught from side 1 and RYH. - 8/10

I'd Die for You - My favourite song on the album. I'd Die For You is a masterpiece song, both in the electric version found here and as an acoustic song from their These Days tour. It is a great song cheesy lyrics but still they work. - 10/10

Never Say Goodbye - The only true Ballad on the album and it is an amazing one. Overshadowed by those that come after it but this is the original Bon Jovi power ballad and it is great. I wish it had the Acoustic first half they did live to break up the polished up album but it is another amazing track - 9/10

Wild In The Streets - Another fast paced rocker, fun, sky high choruses. A great way to end an amazing album - 8.5/10

Overall 88

-----

Last edited:
Last Metallica update.

METALLICA - DEATH MAGNETIC
Metallica+-+Death+Magnetic+(2008).jpg

Album 42/365

Review >

METALLICA - BEYOND MAGNETIC
Beyond-Magnetic-cover.jpg

Album 44/365

Review >

METALLICA - HARDWIRED... TO SELF-DESTRUCT
20160818_193928_7549_939483.jpeg

Album 45/365

Review >

Stumbled on this quite by accident and found to my surprise that the Sabaton producer Peter Tägtgren is the band leader. So, with absolutely no idea about what this is gonna turn out like, let us begin.

HYPOCRISY - ABDUCTED
1020.jpg

Album 46/365

Tracks:

1. "The Gathering" - Oh my god, I love this intro. So menacing, feels like it's building up for something big....
  2. "Roswell 47" - Really heavy, slow melodeath riff here. Reminds me of Heartwork-era Carcass and Peter has a similar sort of vocal style, which works pretty well. There are also some great high, raspy screams which I like. I'm quite impressed by this song. Definitely will come back to it.
  3. "Killing Art" - Holy crap, these drums are just trying to slice open your skull. There's some great tempo changes here that I quite like. Good stuff.
  4. "The Arrival Of The Demons, Pt. 2" - I love this opening, it's pretty great, slowly moving through. This was pretty great. Some menacing stuff and I honestly wouldn't have minded it being longer.
  5. "Buried" - Chugging song here, and it too is pretty good. There's a scream toward the end that's pretty awesome.
  6. "Abducted" - Fast-paced title track. I like the feel of this album, it's not as clean production-wise as, say, Carolus Rex, but it's mixed in this sort of dirtier style which works quite well. It's quite obviously melodic death metal, but the guitar sound seems to pull some inspiration from black metal, which is pretty cool. Peter is still doing those epic screams and I still think they're great.
  7. "Paradox" - For a moment I thought I was listening to a song from the Bermudez brothers period of Blaze's solo career. It's a slower song but it gets better toward the end. Vocals are different from most of the album's, which is kinda interesting.
  8. "Point Of No Return" - These vocals feel inspired by black metal as well. Pretty cool.
  9. "When The Candle Fades" - The longest song on the album, and it's pretty solid stuff. Chugging riffs help it succeed.
  10. "Carved Up" - Heavy, faster stuff. Holy shit those screams are fucking cool. The part where the guitars drop in and out is fucking great.
  11. "Reflections" - Such a chilling instrumental piece. Starts with some eerie noises, goes orchestral, and then rises up. Great "interlude" piece.
  12. "Slippin' Away" - Huh, the guitars are distortion-less here. This time we've got clean vocals, and they seem to float in and around the music. It's pretty cool. Okay, there's the distortion in the chorus. This was the last sort of song I expected to hear on this album, but man, it's good.
  13. "Drained" - Ooh, nice quiet intro. It doesn't actually erupt like I expected, but follows more of the previous song, albeit with more distortion here. Kind of an interesting move to end a death metal album on a quiet note, but it works fairly well.
The best way to make an album better... aliens. I quite liked this. It's got a nice '90s vibe to it, the songs are all quite strong, it's pretty great overall. Enjoyable melodeath record.

Rating: 87%

Felt like something... blackened.

BURZUM - DEMO 1
2811.jpg

Album 47/365

Tracks:

1. "Lost Wisdom" - Wow, this is a terrible recording. Too many external noises, the actual music is more in the background than anything else. You can hardly hear the drums, too. I've listened to the version of this song from Det som engang var a lot and I think it's great, but you really can't get much out of this recording. Are there even vocals here?
  2. "Spell Of Destruction" - I mean, the music would be nice if it Varg actually gotten something real to record it with. There's really nothing more you can take away from this.
  3. "Channeling...." - Kinda cool, but again... this recording is pretty bland.
I like what Varg is going for here with this stuff, but the recording isn't even raw, it's just airy and... bad. It isn't a waste of time per se (it isn't long at all), but it's not great at the same time. Kinda bland, but re-recordings should make these songs better further into Burzum's career.

Rating: 49%

Well @Collin I hope I'm makin' you proud boy.

QUEENSRYCHE - QUEENSRYCHE
Queensryche-EP.jpg

Album 48/365

Tracks:

1. "Queen Of The Reich" - Love that scream at the beginning. Tate is (or at least was) a fucking phenomenal vocalist. Those highs in the chorus ("queen of the REIIIIICH!") are just fantastic. He's an American who seems to have taken some of the stylings from the European singers and repurposed them for his voice... or at least that's how it comes across to me. Actually, that's a lot similar to how I sing, so y'know. The instruments here are great too. This is a great classic metal song that's taken to the next level because the singer is an absolute madman. 10/10
  2. "Nightrider" - This is something more like what you'd expect to find from a power metal band. Tate still sounds great (there are some moments when it almost sounds like Bruce is singing, which isn't a bad thing IMO). The solo section here is quite reminiscent of Mercyful Fate (also not a bad thing). But then again, the early '80s had lots of bands that seemed to have style overlaps, which is kinda neat and traces things back to that period. On top of that, some of the screams here sound sort of like Rob Halford. All in all, it's a mix-and-match of a song and I like it. I don't think it's necessarily outstanding but it's pretty cool. 8/10
  3. "Blinded" - A lot of what I said about "Nightrider" seems to apply to this one as well, so I don't feel like repeating myself again. I don't like it quite as much as the previous song, but it's still pretty good. 7/10
  4. "The Lady Wore Black" - This is a cool way to end the EP with, some nice melodic moments throughout and Tate still sounds great. Not quite the most memorable song from them, but it's pretty strong as a whole. 8/10
This is a strong start to the band's career. The band is really firing on all cylinders right from the get-go, particularly Tate. That dude can sing. This EP set the stage for what was to come later. Great stuff.

Rating: 83%

Yay Queensryche!!!

I like the EP quite a bit. The Warning is definitely similar to the EP in style and definitely mixed better. Also ‘The Prophecy’ is on The Warning if I’m correct. It was definitely recorded during those sessions.

‘The Prophecy’ is on The Warning if I’m correct. It was definitely recorded during those sessions.
From Wikipedia: “The 1988 reissue [of the EP] by EMI saw the addition of a bonus track, ‘Prophecy’, which was recorded during the Rage for Order sessions in 1985–86. This song was performed live by the band circa 1983, and was included on the 1984 Live in Tokyo home video.”

I got into earlier Queensrÿche after being exposed to Operation: Mindcrime, so it makes sense that my copy of the EP would have “Prophecy” on it. Best song on the EP, IMO.

Into blackest night...

MAYHEM - LIVE IN LEIPZIG
Live+In+Leipzig.jpg

Album 50/365

When I listen to black metal, I usually expect meh audio, but this takes it to another level. Wow, it's absolute shite! Luckily, the performances were pretty tight, and it makes it a more compelling release thus. My main problem with this release is that it just sorta... drones on. There are some great parts here, but there's also a lot of stuff that doesn't draw me in. I will say that it's more solid than I expected, and Dead sounds great on here (although not, perhaps, on full power, which makes it sad because there's no telling how much better he could have been were it not for his untimely demise). It's an absolutely raw release that I can't say will entice me to return again and again, but there's enough that will probably grab me back for at least another shot down the road. It isn't quite great, but I do think it's "good" to some sort of extent. If only we could've just gotten a studio album from this lineup, but alas...

Rating: 72%

Diesel have you heard Candlebox’s self titled album? One of the best grunge albums ever. If you liked Core by STP you will like this. It’s just a bit softer.

28/365
Bon_jovi_slippery_when_wet.jpg

Slippery When Wet - Bon Jovi

Let It Rock - An arena sized Keyboard intro opens up "Slippery". Let It Rock builds some suspense and it shows off all the key parts of Bon Jovi, Jon's charasmastic vocals, Ritchies fine guitarwork, Davids keyboards put their work in and Tico works the drums keeping the beat. This song is a great way to open up the album although it could be argued that "Bad Name" should have been the opener. A great opener and an underrated Bon Jovi song. 8.5/10

You Give Love A Bad Name - What likely should of been the opener makes itself known instantly. A radio staple with an infectious chorus, great guitar work, a great rock song that is well known outside of the rock community and people go crazy for it. I will not lie there has been many times I have lost my voice singing along to this song. An amazing track - 9.5/10

Livin On A Prayer - I knew when I first hear Prayer that I had to hear more. The classic anthem about a working class couple is one of the crown jewels on Bon Jovi's catalogue. Another infectious hit with an amazing chorus and a great solo. It is hard to believe it was nearly left off the album - 10/10

Social Disease - The instrumentation of this song is wonderful. I dislike the lyrics so much that it ruins the song for me. I would have much prefered Edge of A Broken Heart being on the album instead of this one. (Which would have made the album perfect imho). - 6/10

Wanted Dead Or Alive - The 3rd classic anthem on this first side of this album. This power ballad of sorts opens with some great guitar work from Sambora. A crowd sing a long for sure. The guitar solo and breakdown is great. An excellent way to close off side 1 - 9.5/10

Raise Your Hands - A ripping opener to side 2 is another classic crowd pleaser from Bon Jovi. This song has a heavier feel to it but holds all the qualities that made "Bad Name" and "Prayer" amazing songs, just to a slightly lesser extent due to the heavier feel. This song is highly effective live it was designed for arenas and it is one hell of a song. - 9/10

Without Love - Poppy sound comes back in full force for this song. The hook pulls me in every time, the chorus is a little calmer than the verses. I really like this song but it isn't quite on par with the anthems onslaught from side 1 and RYH. - 8/10

I'd Die for You - My favourite song on the album. I'd Die For You is a masterpiece song, both in the electric version found here and as an acoustic song from their These Days tour. It is a great song cheesy lyrics but still they work. - 10/10

Never Say Goodbye - The only true Ballad on the album and it is an amazing one. Overshadowed by those that come after it but this is the original Bon Jovi power ballad and it is great. I wish it had the Acoustic first half they did live to break up the polished up album but it is another amazing track - 9/10

Wild In The Streets - Another fast paced rocker, fun, sky high choruses. A great way to end an amazing album - 8.5/10

Overall 88

-----

29/365
Queensryche_-_Rage_for_Order_cover_1.jpg

Rage For Order - Queensryche

Walk In The Shadows - The opening track makes it clear Queensryche is on a mission, anthemic chorus, Tate's outstanding operatic vocals shine on this track. -8/10

I Dream In Infra Red - A midpaced track follows up Tate quickly brings back the operatic vocals for the chorus. A nice pleasant song it sits between a ballad and a midpaced rock track. And it walks the line perfectly. - 9/10

The Whisper - This intro is absolutely wonderful. Tate's vocals on this one don't quite grab me fully, but this songs is a great piece of music. Love the guitar work and the drums fit in perfectly - 8/10

Gonna Get Close to You - Once again a great intro, opens up the next track. Has a very stalkerish vibe but I like it. They make the song their own which makes this cover a solid addition to the album - 8/10

The Killing Words - Keys introduce the next track. Slower and somber verses lead into another operatic chorus. The intricacy of this track whilst making it feel so simple is great. The chorus could use a little work but this track is great - 9/10

Surgical Strike - Kicking back into a more direct rock style once again Surgical strike definitely sticks true to its name, direct and rocking not an amazing track but a good one nonetheless. - 7.5/10

Will finish the rest later

Neue Regel -

Chemical Youth (We Are Rebellion) -

London -

Screaming In Digital -

I Will Remember -

Dude, get an avatar. No one's listening to you without an avatar. Which is a shame beceause you're reviewing some good albums.

29/365

Format: Vinyl

Walk In The Shadows - The opening track makes it clear Queensryche is on a mission, anthemic chorus, Tate's outstanding operatic vocals shine on this track. -8/10

I Dream In Infra Red - A midpaced track follows up Tate quickly brings back the operatic vocals for the chorus. A nice pleasant song it sits between a ballad and a midpaced rock track. And it walks the line perfectly. - 9/10

The Whisper - This intro is absolutely wonderful. Tate's vocals on this one don't quite grab me fully, but this songs is a great piece of music. Love the guitar work and the drums fit in perfectly - 8/10

Gonna Get Close to You - Once again a great intro, opens up the next track. Has a very stalkerish vibe but I like it. They make the song their own which makes this cover a solid addition to the album - 8/10

The Killing Words - Keys introduce the next track. Slower and somber verses lead into another operatic chorus. The intricacy of this track whilst making it feel so simple is great. The chorus could use a little work but this track is great - 9/10

Surgical Strike - Kicking back into a more direct rock style once again Surgical strike definitely sticks true to its name, direct and rocking not an amazing track but a good one nonetheless. - 7.5/10

Neue Regel - Side two kicks off with a nice introduction, Tates opening vocals are rather odd but then they get back into the traditional sound of Queensryche. Not quite a standout track but an interesting one nonetheless - 7/10

Chemical Youth (We Are Rebellion) - A straightforward opening kicks into a fairly straightforward track. Vocals are somewhat chantable, guitar work is really solid on this one, the instrumental outro is great. -7/10

London - A ballad of sorts has a rather slow tempo, soaring vocals in the chorus once more by Tate, but it doesn't quite pull me in. Once again the instrumental sections of this track are outright amazing. The dramatic feeling throughout the album is clearly a indicator of what will come on Mindcrime a few short years later. -7.5/10

Screaming In Digital - An interesting riff with some more haunting vocals from Tate introduces this track before kicking back into a rock track, once again very Mindcrime reminiscent. I like this track more than the 3 that have come before but it isn't really a standout track - 8/10

I Will Remember - Another ballad closes off the album, this one doesn't explode like the other ballads of the album, remaining calm it is a nice change and it closes off the album nicely - 8.5/10

Overall 79%

I haven't decided if I will be doing Operation:Mindcrime on this list since I've heard it several times straight through but it is such an amazing album I likely will add it back onto the list.

Last edited:
29/365

Neue Regel - Side two kicks off with a nice introduction, Tates opening vocals are rather odd but then they get back into the traditional sound of Queensryche. Not quite a standout track but an interesting one nonetheless - 7/10

Chemical Youth (We Are Rebellion) - A straightforward opening kicks into a fairly straightforward track. Vocals are somewhat chantable, guitar work is really solid on this one, the instrumental outro is great. -7/10

London - A ballad of sorts has a rather slow tempo, soaring vocals in the chorus once more by Tate, but it doesn't quite pull me in. Once again the instrumental sections of this track are outright amazing. The dramatic feeling throughout the album is clearly a indicator of what will come on Mindcrime a few short years later. -7.5/10

Screaming In Digital - An interesting riff with some more haunting vocals from Tate introduces this track before kicking back into a rock track, once again very Mindcrime reminiscent. I like this track more than the 3 that have come before but it isn't really a standout track - 8/10

I Will Remember - Another ballad closes off the album, this one doesn't explode like the other ballads of the album, remaining calm it is a nice change and it closes off the album nicely - 8.5/10

Overall 79%

I haven't decided if I will be doing Operation:Mindcrime on this list since I've heard it several times straight through but it is such an amazing album I likely will add it back onto the list.
Neue Regel is an easy 10. I can’t justify not giving Screaming in Digital a 10 either.

Back