Your Maiden blasphemy

While I was on the pro-Janick side of the earlier ‘farce’

dfWGP3E.gif

I’m on the anti-Di’Anno side this time. Listening to Maiden’s first two releases again has given me a whole new respect from both Bruce and Blaze. Di’Anno - in my opinion - is a shit singer.

Now, at risk of starting another farce, I'd disagree. Sure Paul might not be as technically accomplished a singer as Bruce or Blaze, I actually think he has, or at least had, quite a strong voice. Even the infamous "Charlay!!" performance, he doesn't actually sound that bad, but obviously his indecipherable delivery of the lyrics dragged it down.

I’m baffled at why Maiden would ever need to bring in an outside guitarist.

My thoughts are: if any more than one of the current guitarists or any if any one non-guitar band member can no longer tour or record, then that's it for Maiden.

Don’t want them jumping the shark right at this stage in their history.

if steve was hell bent on continuing with 3 guitarist's that's all.

Now, at risk of starting another farce, I'd disagree. Sure Paul might not be as technically accomplished a singer as Bruce or Blaze, I actually think he has, or at least had, quite a strong voice. Even the infamous "Charlay!!" performance, he doesn't actually sound that bad, but obviously his indecipherable delivery of the lyrics dragged it down.
Wow. I mean, he's not great. But shitty?
I mean I completely get why people like his singing style and stuff - I have for years, and I hope I do again, buuuuutttttt.... He should do more takes and enunciate his stuff properly. Stuff like "Charlotte the Harlot" (even the studio version) feels very much strung together and slurred over to the point that it's irritating. The falsetto is also bland with so many other singers who can use it better. He isn't the worst singer and he's better in Maiden than solo, but he does bring down songs that would have sounded better with another singer.

Stuff like "Charlotte the Harlot" (even the studio version) feels very much strung together and slurred over to the point that it's irritating.

Could you not argue that it's more the vocal melody that is the problem in that song? Took a quick listen to the '88 version for comparison, Bruce does sound better but I think it's a hair slower.

Paul was good in the early 80s (and maybe for a few years post-Maiden, but I haven't listened) but he didn't look after himself so can no longer sing or even remember the words.

this isn't so much blasphemy as it is a thought.

say one of the 3 amigo's for some reason or another can't tour anymore (Say next leg)...again that is blasphemous in itself. but i think that they could get Nita Strauss to fill in quite admirably. i think there are only 2 possibilities of them not going on. bruce and steve. if either of them say i am done, then it's over.

don't know if there was a thread for thoughts such as this. but that's my 2 cents with a touch of blasphemous thought regarding them stopping. :scared:
Dave out, Richie Faulkner in. We know Steve's keen on him, and how much mileage do Priest have left? :devil2:

Nita Strauss is actually awesome. I’m happy to see her getting more notoriety lately.

Di’Anno - in my opinion - is a shit singer.
Wait, wait, let me make sure I have my tribalism checklist right first!
  1. Express offense and declare the opponent wrong!
  2. If they back up their point effectively, repeat that they’re wrong and start building an army of straw men to attack them with!
  3. Round up a posse of friends to deploy the straw men while we all like each other’s posts!
  4. Express frustration that they’re still posting instead of succumbing to social pressure and shutting the hell up!
  5. Cast one final misplaced aspersion and claim I’ve put them on ignore!
Am I ready to join the club now? Let’s Make Paul Great Again!!

Cast one final misplaced aspersion and claim I’ve put them on ignore!
Hey, I'm not the one who did that. I actually like a lot of what you say, and indeed this whole thing has made me re-examine Janick's contributions to Maiden. I just disagree on the really trivial aspects of it. :p

No one's leaving the band, if they hang it up it will be a mutual agreement. At this point in their career i can't see any more lineup changes, especially after keeping the current one intact for so long.

No one's leaving the band, if they hang it up it will be a mutual agreement. At this point in their career i can't see any more lineup changes, especially after keeping the current one intact for so long.
I was under the impression that Nicko has repeatedly stated his desire to be the exception to this rule

I dream of this moment.
Oh I hope this never happens we don't need a cabaret show. They are already going too spinal for my liking. I think the keyboardist should be up on stage though seems funny to hide him backstage

I quoted the wrong post. Reference was to someone stating they want Paul and blaze to join Bruce on stage

Last edited:
Here's a really controversial one: if Adrian had been invited back on his own c 1998 I really think he might have been able to save Maiden (and Blaze) all by himself. No need for Bruce then ... :D
Another guitarist cant magically make blaze a good singer or capable of executing a maiden classic. Sure maiden could excel without Bruce. If they had jorn or halford or kiske they would be fine.

Wow. I mean, he's not great. But shitty?
Dianno is real shitty now. I wouldn't pay him to sing at my 6 years party but on the maiden albums he was real sweat. Just beautiful singing especially on the ballads. Nowhere near as good as Bruce but miles better than blaze. Blaze has no soul in his singing it's just bland and,, well, ok for a pub band but I wouldn't want to take him into a recording studio. I don't know what possessed Harris to sign him up so many better singers around at the time

Another guitarist cant magically make blaze a good singer
Right, because Blaze is already a good singer. :ok:

or capable of executing a maiden classic.
Right, because they created two albums full of them. :ok:

Sure maiden could excel without Bruce. If they had jorn or halford or kiske they would be fine.
Uh...

Dianno is real shitty now. I wouldn't pay him to sing at my 6 years party but on the maiden albums he was real sweat. Just beautiful singing especially on the ballads. Nowhere near as good as Bruce but miles better than blaze. Blaze has no soul in his singing it's just bland and,, well, ok for a pub band but I wouldn't want to take him into a recording studio. I don't know what possessed Harris to sign him up so many better singers around at the time
Oof. Agree to disagree. Greatly.

Back