Paul Di'Anno

Wow, Paul has recorded a lot albums and participated in so many different projects outside of Maiden. His first solo album in '84 and the collaborations with Dennis Stratton are good. I have a couple of interesting questions:

Which album Paul likes more - IM or Killers ?

Which is his favorite songs from these two albums or from Maiden overall ?

Which is his favorite Bruce era song (if there's one) ? I think he admits that Bruce is the better fit for the band and he likes TNOTB album.

What is his opinion on Blaze, the two albums with him... ? And is he in good relationship with the band now, or all these years ? (I think Blaze is). I remember that Paul has spoken nuts about Bruce - like he can't sing his songs and when he does that he sounds like a little fairy.

I must sat I don't know the answer to your questions, buddy.
But let's ponder shall we.

1. I think he favors the debut the most.
It was more on the "punky" side, plus he was very involved in it as well (writing credits).

2. He has said in interviews and on stage that his favourite song is Innocent Exile, but I'd wager Phantom of the Opera is up there as well. He dislikes the Bruce years as they are too arty farty.

3. Number of the Beast, perchance.

4. They are good albums, but his are better.

Last edited:
I must sat I don't know the answer to your questions, buddy.
But let's ponder shall we.

1. I think he favors the debut the most.
It was more on the "punky" side, plus he was very involved in it as well (writing credits).

2. He has said in interviews and on stage that his favourite song is Innocent Exile, but I'd wager Phantom of the Opera is up there as well. He dislikes the Bruce years as they are too arty farty.

3. Number of the Beast, perchance.

4. They are good albums, but his are better.

Thanks for the reply, buddy.

I'm not sure but I think I have read somewhere that his favorite song is Murders In The Rue Morgue. And also he admits that Bruce is the perfect singer for the band and he thinks TNOTB album is an album that nobody would ever create again. But he also thinks the same for the 2 albums with him.

I think someone has said that his favorite Bruce era song is SIASL. I remember reading an interview where he has been asked if he had listened to the Blaze albums and his answer was: ''I don't listen shits'' or something like that. But he has toured with Blaze, so I think he is in good relationship with him - with Maiden however, idk.

An interesting interview with Paul from Brazil. His grades for other vocalists are in particular very interesting (from 4:57 minutes onwards).... :lol:
fun fact: he is a fan of Sport Club Corinthians Paulista, he loves them as much as West Ham United F.C.

Joey Ramone gets a 10
James Hetfield gets a 9
Bruce Dickinson gets a 7.5

This tells us a lot about the man who gives us Charlay.

He says that Bruce is a trained singer, not like him or Blaze and for him, the rock 'n' roll singer should sing from his heart.

He gave Blaze a 7 and Kiske 2 (Bruce Dickinson wannabe were his exact words and he even do not know who is this singer, or he lies). But hey, he gave Rob Halford a 9 which gets my praise, but no way James is on Halford's level or better than Bruce - Bruce deserves a 11 form this scale of 0-10. ;)

His other grades are:

Dave Lee Roth a 4
Axl Rose a 0
Vince Niel a 00
Bon Jovi a 000

:lol:

He says that Bruce is a trained singer, not like him or Blaze and for him, the rock 'n' roll singer should sing from his heart.

He gave Blaze a 7 and Kiske 2 (Bruce Dickinson wannabe were his exact words and he even do not know who is this singer, or he lies). But hey, he gave Rob Halford a 9 which gets my praise, but no way James is on Halford's level or better than Bruce - Bruce deserves a 11 form this scale of 0-10. ;)

His other grades are:

Dave Lee Roth a 4
Axl Rose a 0
Vince Niel a 00
Bon Jovi a 000

:lol:

Well, Dave Lee Roth is truly a 4, if you judge purely from the singing aspect. But as a entertainer he is an 10, so a 7 overall. :D

He says that Bruce is a trained singer
Since this has been brought up, can someone tell me if this is true or not? From what I read in Bruce’s book, it sounded like he worked on his vocals a bit but for the most part they came naturally. Was he really trained or did he just acquire nuggets of wisdom here and there?

Since this has been brought up, can someone tell me if this is true or not? From what I read in Bruce’s book, it sounded like he worked on his vocals a bit but for the most part they came naturally. Was he really trained or did he just acquire nuggets of wisdom here and there?
He is self taught. He used to read his ex girlfriend's books on singing, though.

Like it or not, the quantum leap from "decent local band, great potential" to "signed by EMI, on a world tour currently" had much, and that's much, to do with Paul, and his talent, and his charisma, and

Right on, buddy.
Now fuck off to the Kamelot thread Mr. K. and the rest of ya limp pimps full of Di'Anno disdain.

Back