Judas Priest Discography Discussion (part 2 starting page 20)

I saw Priest on the 1st leg of the Demolition tour. I was hoping they would open with Bloodsuckers but instead opened with Metal Gods. Good news is I had front row center stage! Anthrax opened with John Bush. I was screaming the lyrics back at John in unison with him. When he left the stage he gave me a thumb up!

I was also at that tour! I left before Priest cause I only cared about BushThrax at the time :facepalm:

@MrKnickerbocker did you listen to "What's My Name?" ? It's a bonus track from this album, also the only song Ripper wrote with Priest. I think it's pretty cool, worth a listen.

I did. Can’t say it left any more of an impression than the rest of the songs.

I dont remember a single track from this one and you sure aren’t making me want to play it again.

I do think the Ripper albums are proof that Halford’s vocal melodies may be even more crucial to Priest than his voice.

All this condemning talk. "And I'll never play it again."
Ehh, it's understandable. I don't find it to be a very enjoyable record. I've spun it two or three times, while doing the full Priest discography, and otherwise...let's just say it never gets played.

I guess I do not approve it when someone else's view on an album is deciding someone's own behaviour in the most negative and radical way imaginable (never listen again).

It is possible to appreciate something more, later on.

Last edited:
I find it a bit lame that someone else's view decides someone's own behaviour. It is possible to appreciate something more, later on.
And frequently people do. It would be just as lame for them to change their behaviour because someone else posted an objection on an internet forum. Let people be who they want to be.

I can see why this album is called Demolition, because I feel like some of my brain cells are demolished every time I listen to it. The riffs are sluggish and boring, drums unimaginative, and vocal melodies are either lazy or non existent. Sometimes I think Knick is too hard on Priest’s lyrics, but here they are really laughable. Why did this era have to be so angry? It’s one of the most contrived things I’ve heard.

I’m surprised to see it rated higher than Jugulator. Jugulator is at least coherent and I can kinda see what they’re going for. There are parts where it works and part where it doesn’t work as much. I don’t really see any merit in Demolition though. Not sure if I’d give any song anything higher than a 5. It’s so long too.

And now if you’ll excuse me I’ll be bleaching my ears with Fear of the Dark.

I’m surprised to see it rated higher than Jugulator. Jugulator is at least coherent and I can kinda see what they’re going for. There are parts where it works and part where it doesn’t work as much. I don’t really see any merit in Demolition though. Not sure if I’d give any song anything higher than a 5. It’s so long too.

I agree with most of your points, but I think the good songs on Demolition are far stronger than even the best material on Jugulator. None of them will ever be classics, but they're at least more listenable and enjoyable to me.

All this condemning talk. "And I'll never play it again."

I guess I do not approve it when someone else's view on an album is deciding someone's own behaviour in the most negative and radical way imaginable (never listen again).

It is possible to appreciate something more, later on.

@Forostar, I see no one else posting anything even similar, so I can only conclude this is pointed at me?
If so, it is gross misrepresentation of what I actually said and pretty disappointing to read.

If I missed someone else’s post, my apologies.

Ripper's Live in London performance is really great (as it was on most of Meltdown). His highs on "Diamonds & Rust" are outstanding and "Feed On Me" live confirms my belief that it's a killer, more old school Priest tune. The energy is great.

@Forostar, I see no one else posting anything even similar, so I can only conclude this is pointed at me?
If so, it is gross misrepresentation of what I actually said and pretty disappointing to read.
Misinterpretation? Gross misinterpretation even?

Since you did not improve this already, I'm not sure if you are still willing... but if you are:
you're welcome to make me interpret this better:
I dont remember a single track from this one and you sure aren’t making me want to play it again.
If I misinterpreted this grossly, then what does it mean? Did I take it too literally? Can the word "sure" sometimes mean "almost"?

Last edited:
“I’ve never liked mushrooms and those mushrooms you are cooking don’t smell very good” does not equal “I will never eat mushrooms again because the ones you are cooking smell bad.”

But I shouldn’t have to explain that. Read and pay attention to what I wrote; don’t project your prejudices on me.

I do not particularly like your arrogant tone and message in your last line of sentences.

I did pay attention. With apparently a different interpretation. I still think what you wrote sounds different from your mushrooms example.

No apologies for not understanding your comment the first time.

Thank you for clearing it up. And good morning.

Last edited:
Where did I say “I will never listen to this album again?”
You put something I never said in quotation marks, twisted a general statement about lack of interest into some kind of hardheaded declaration, and on top of that attributed my (non-existent) behaviour to someone else, rather than my own free will.
That is a gross misrepresentation.

you sure aren’t making me want to play it again.

It certainly can be understood as: I haven't played it in a while (it must be this, because you said you didn't remember a single track), and reading this sure does not want me to play it again.

Not wanting to do something again. That's not that far from never, is it? What miracle should happen before you want to play this again? I thought the review made big enough impact.

Hell is Home is great, the 2 note riff under the solo is fabulous minimalism.
Close to You is an atmospheric favourite.
Machine Man and Metal Messiah are good too. Actually, most of this is fine and enjoyable, superior to Jug.
One On One's a bore though.

I bought the digipak back in the day with free sticker and plectrum. Probably still available at all good stores!

A few words about "Firepower".

I liked it way more than "Redeemer of Souls". Truth be told, I didn't listened to it that much (Redeemer) although I wanted to. But it seemed forced somehow, like listening a younger wannabe Judas Priest band. I undestand they wanted to return to old sound, especially after Nostradamus, but on "Redeemer of Souls" they tried to sound so much like themselves that they've almost became parody of themselves.

"Firepower" on the other hand, I like. It reminds me on "Angel of Retribution" which was my gateaway album to Judas. Yes, there are some "play it safe" songs (title track) and some songs where they try to sound heavy and bordered on comical (Flamethrower) but it's when they slow down where album hits it's peak (Never the Heroes and Spectre) come to mind. I also agree that maybe it could've been shorter a bit and I don't see the point of Guardians being a stand alone track. I've even consider seeing them live when the album came out but then the whole Glen drama started and I gave up.

Nevertheless, it comforting that a (almost!) 50 year old band can still bring new music which prompts me to press the repeat button on several songs.

Quick notes about Priest (one of my two favorite Heavy Metal bands... guess which one is the other :p ). Just like Maiden, Priest belongs deeply to the soundtrack of my live.
With that in mind let me tell you my opinion about each record starting with:

THE 70's:

Rocka Rolla:
Judas Purple or Deep Priest... Hey you got to start somehow. Given the imposed stylish matters I won't say much about this record: Yes, it was a stepping stoneinto the market (although quite ignored) and a great learning process to build their identity (mainly learning what NOT to do). One could already listen to shards of their brilliant guitar work and Halford's ridiculous vocal range but it everything was restrained in a "purple" straight jacket weaved by the record company and no one could expect a huge amount of quality under such conditions. Take Rocka Rolla as "Judas Priest beta version".
Highs: Rocka Rolla, Never Satisfied
Lows: obviously too much of a Purple's copycat, it's noticeable that the band's not lose
Rating: 5.5/10

Sad Wings Of Destiny:
Now this is where it all starts. The band decided that the record company could shove their opinions, worked on their heaviness and dual guitar assault and melodies while exploring Halford's incredibly vast tune range. It's always good when good composers/ musicians are given the freedom to create without restraints and, given the new path Priest was willing to take, most likely Sad Wings Of Destiny would fair considerably better than Rocka Rolla. Yet I bet that no one could see what was really forming.
Let's put it simple: Sad Wings is one of the best rock (yes... not only metal) albums ever. From the anthemic opener Victim Of Changes, bursting from the said guitar harmonies shapping into this heavy prog rock monument where Zeppelin's groove is bathed in the crucible of Sabbath's heaviness, wandering through a myriad of swings, transitions and solos where the full potential of the once restraint Judas Priest is finally unleashed that you're left with your jaw at your feet. And awe is a modest word to describe Halford's inhuman vocal display. Then you're thrown into the dark, evil and heavy double guitar attack of The Ripper (make no mistakes boys and girls this is heavy metal dual harmonizer guitars 101 in one song). The band then takes a plunge in the utterly progressive and magical Dreamer Deceiver/Deceiver where Halford goes full 4 octave leaving the vast majority of rock singers worldwide in shame. Other amazing sequence is the twin crushers Genocide and Tyrant, Both ridiculously heavy tunes capable to rival any of Sabbath's heaviest cuts to date (with Tyrant being one of those songs that seemed to be way ahead of its time).
When the last seconds of Island Of Domination expire, more than the feeling that you've listened to a near perfect album you're left with a certainty: you've wittnessed history. And rightfuly so , since this masterpiece established itself immediatly as one of the most important pillars of what Metal should be. In one word: AMAZING.
Highs: almost everything is perfect
Lows: nothing... other than Epitaph seems a bit out of place
Rating: 9.25/10

Sin After Sin:
One might wonder what would be the direction of the band's 3rd album since Sad Wings was both a major change regarding sound style and a considerable increase in quality regarding Priest's debut. This would be the album that would test their true potential (like in many other bands) and check if Sad Wings was more than just a fluke. So after making their first record deal with a multinational record company, the band hits the studio to record Sin After Sin.
Once Sinner begins you find youself lost among a gigantic (both in quality and length) Prog Metal masterpiece that explodes in this apotheotic coda, leaving you breathless. This time didn't change their traits... they solidified it and built an identity out of it. As for the remainder songs I would underline how Joan Baes' folk tune is amazingly metalized by the band, the delicious dated Starbreaker or the relentless progression of Let Us Pray/Call For The Priest from its start building into a speed freak. Finally what to say about Dissident Aggressor? An heavy metal monster that still sounds heavy to today's standards to the point it won a grammy 4 decades after its release. Perhaps the more ahead of its time metal track ever crafted.
Although not having as much peaks as its predecessor Sin After Sin record is a monster of a record. By now there was no doubt that Judas Priest was a force to be respected and expected to continue to change the 70's Heavy Metal panorama.
Highs: Sinner, Diamonds And Rust, Let Us Pray/Call For The Priest, Dissident Aggressor
Lows: The slow songs seem a bit out of place here (but we all know that's about to change with THAT song)
Rating: 8.25/10

Stained Class:
"Stand by for excitiiiiiiiiiiiter!!!!" Wow! Imagine the rush of adrenaline people had back then when they heard this for the first time... Nothing ever made in rock music was so fast and relentless until this thing came out. Priest's 4th album blasts its way into history with speed/ power metal 101 alt least 3 before there was speed/power metal and that alone speaks volumes about how inventive and prominent this band was by this time.
Other than this the rest of the album is a mix between its 2 predecessors. Filled with really high quality hooky 70's metal cuts like the well known (not by the greatest of reasons) Better By You, the superb title track or the driving force that is Invader (this song is nothing shot of stunning!). Stained Class is an utter tour de force up till you reach the penultimate track. And my friends, here the band takes it to another level. Beyond The Realms Of Death is one of that songs that comes in a lifetime, It builds a molde and puts itself as the zenith of that said song typology. Many bands made their atempt to equal BTROD when it comes to a tragic, depressive yet melodical slow song building into raging heaviness with intensity and dynamics never portraited is this format. Some of them made amazing songs in these lines (Wellcome Home - Sanitarium, Children Of The Damned, The Years Of Decay, Egypt, Cemetary Gates just to name a few) but no one has beaten the standard that this amazing game changer of a song established regarding superb mix of emotions and moods.
When all is said and done Stained Class is yet another truly near perfect album that would open doors to new markets (among them Japan) in this immaculate 3 record stretch forged by the new worldwide undisputed heavy metal leaders.
Highs: Everything's good but I have to put my focus in the game changers Exciter and Beyond The Realms of Death
Lows: unimportant details... like how BTROD should close the record. In other words: no lows on this one
Rating: 9/10

Killing Machine:
With 3 of the best Heavy Metal works to date under its belt, it was time for the Priest to undergo its 2nd sound transition. The 70's were coming to an end and the Prog scene was completely washed. A new breed of surging Metal acts were way more "in your face" and to a certain extent even took a note or two from the dominating Punk movement (Like Motorhead or Iron Maiden).
So, once Delivering The Goods hits the speakers you're left with the sensation that short and sharp heavy rock songs will be be the bread and butter this record, a feeling that is firmly reassured with Rock Forever (in a less stellar way) and even deeper when you bump into Evening Star, a quite poppy tune. And as you wonder what's the direction this album is really taking, one thing's assured: Prog Judas Priest is dead and buried. To make things even more confuse you are then confronted with that heavy as bricks classic under the name of Hell Bent For Leather... besides being one of my two favorite Priest tunes what can I say about this masterpiece? Then there's the corny Take On The World, the quite forgetable Burning Up and you're left astray once again. Fortunately the final stretch lifts the quality way higher, either through the absolutely gorgeous adaptation of Fleetwood Mac's Green Manalishi or by the unstopable metal pace of Running Wild. Before The Dawn is far from being BTROD but is quite decent and so is the groove of the title track. Evil Fantasies is a good track also.
As the album comes to a close one can't help to miss the longer songs no matter how stellar some of this straight forward and stripped down tracks are (and believe me this record offers a handful of them). Some fillers and a couple of poppy tunes are rearing their heads too and that hurts the record as a whole. But if you skip those rotten apples you'll find extremelly good cuts here, believe me. The band wouldclose their 70's works with their mythical first live album recorded in Japan "Unleashed In The East"
Highs: Hell Bent For Leather (YES!), Green Manalishi, Running Wild, Evil Fantasies.
Lows: some pop tracks, repeating the same format on several tracks, lack of a more epic and intense song like in the last 3 records.
Rating: 7.5/10

Last edited:
Back