Judas Priest Discography Discussion (part 2 starting page 20)

Listening to BTROD right now, I think what really works in this song's favour is that it's seventies enough to give it plenty of room to develop atmosphere and soloing, but not so seventies that it would drift off indefinitely, if that makes any sense. You simply wouldn't hear solos like these on an 80's metal album.

I always thought that the equivalent of Victim of Changes is Phantom of the Opera.

I think that makes a lot more sense. Victim of Changes is great, but it's unrefined in terms of its greatness, similar to Phantom. I also am not sure that Priest has a song that can compare to HBTN. I think Victim just gets compared because it's an early classic song over 6 minutes.

I don't think you can really call any Maiden/Priest songs "equivalent", they're just too different. Priest don't really write epics in the way Maiden do, and Maiden don't write the speed metal shred/scream-fests that Priest do. How could "Painkiller" be the equivalent of anything Maiden have done? Or "Rime" to Priest?

The only one you could draw a similar comparison to is Running Wild and The Wickerman. I was just comparing in terms of what they mean to the fan bases.

The only one you could draw a similar comparison to is Running Wild and The Wickerman. I was just comparing in terms of what they mean to the fan bases.

Well, the songs are different, only the opening riff is very similar - strange how Maiden did not noticed that. Like the 2MTM riff, which is very common used.

@Forostar just to showcase how right your post is, I went through Firepower again, and ended up with this:

1. Firepower - 10/10
2. No Surrender - 10/10
3. Sea of Red - 10/10
4. Rising From Ruins - 10/10
5. Guardians - 10/10
6. Necromancer - 10/10
7. Never The Heroes - 10/10
8. Traitors Gate - 10/10
9. Lightning Strike - 10/10
10. Evil Never Dies - 9/10
11. Children of the Sun - 8/10
12. Spectre - 8/10
13. Lone Wolf - 7/10
14. Flame Thrower - 7/10

This went from an album I wasn't sold on, to an album I enjoyed, to an album I think is awesome. Total score is 9.21/10 going by song ratings averaged and I think that's accurate. Great stuff, just took a few listens to get it.

Maybe that just means you shouldn't attach a grade to everything, especially if you only just heard it for the first time.

You don’t have to assign a rating to do that though. Just the content of your reviews should be enough. If it’s not, you could work on better articulating what you like and dislike about something. That sort of thing would also help others to make sense of your grade. A rating is meaningless when the scale is inconsistent and the grade changes on a day to day basis.

Demolition (2001)

Judaspriestdemolition.JPG

Machine Men – Shades of attempting to recapture the glory of the Painkiller drum intro as this song kicks off…but luckily the riffing, production, and vocals are all better than the majority of Jugulator. The verses are solid, the pre-chorus…less so. The swearing ruins the song, of course, and sounds like it’s coming from some lame teenagers instead of a veteran band with nothing to prove. Decent solo break, with Tipton turning in a tasty lead. This song is fine. In the realms of Priest, it’s middling, but compared to the previous album it’s good. 6/10

One on One – Some more lame sound effects here, but at least they go away quickly. The riffing is standard, stock Priest, but it’s pretty groovy. The vocals (and even the solos) do their best to sound like Metallica (or Dave Mustaine in that weird talking part), but it doesn’t work. Overall, I find Ripper’s thin-toned “tuff guy” performance to be really lacking here. It’s not a terrible song thanks to the groove, but it’s too long, too repetitive, and ultimately fails to capture the ears. 4/10

Hell is Home – This one…I can’t tell if I love it because it’s terrible or hate it for how terrible it is. The vocal melody, lyrics, and Ripper’s performance are so petulant and sophomoric it actually makes me laugh. Like, I’m laughing more than I laugh at “Sweating Bullets”. “Cause dowahn hey-re in hell everyone knee-oh’s MAH naaahhh-yame!” The attempt at a chanting, catchy chorus doesn’t work. The whole thing just feels like it’s written and recorded by a snotty teenager. The phasers on the guitars during the solos are annoying. Why is this belligerent, bullied kid running Hell now? I don’t get it. Not even Ripper’s shriek towards the end is good. A swing, and a miss. 2/10

Jekyll and Hyde – Finally, a song that kicks ass from the start. I think the string layers might be a little overkill, and poorly produced, but the creepiness of this song is effective. Once again, the vocal melodies are not good. Verses are solid, but the pre-chorus, chorus, and bridge melodies are just weird, sliding, 90s-style metal lines that are off-putting. Glenn’s guitar synth effect on the solo is also meh. Ripper’s grunts are stupid. Still, something about this song is interesting. 5/10

Close to You – I appreciate the mood of this song. It’s melodic and approachable (despite the weird orb effect during the verses). The lyrics are still mostly shit, but at least it sounds good and sounds like classic Priest. Glenn’s solo is fantastic. I’m not sure why Ripper’s voice is not being used for what it does best – shrieking highs. The man sounds so thin on ballads, I’m getting shades of “When The Eagle Cries” here, but overall this song works. 7/10

Devil Digger – We start with a pretty typical 90’s-style, generic metal riff and some bad wah-wah’ing. Ripper sounds like he’s doing an impersonation of Marilyn Manson having a blood orgasm. The chorus is bland and boring, even moreso than the verses. KK’s lead is fine but it can’t make this song any better. This is the first song that should have been cut from this album. It’s fat that needs to be trimmed. It’s not as aggressively stupid or silly as “Hell is Home”, which I think actually makes it worse. 1/10

Bloodsuckers – Now this song I remember hearing way back when this first album came out and really liking it (I was also 14 and had no prior knowledge of Priest). The intro is overlong, but once the song starts it’s actually pretty ripping. The band feels energized and it sounds like a combination of classic Priest riffs and modern Priest production. I love the vocal melodies in the verse and Ripper absolutely shreds that chorus – he should be singing like this on the whole album! The melody gets lost in the second verse/bridge, unfortunately, and the vaguely acoustic part sounds clunky. Ripper’s voice acting is poor as always. Overall, however, I do quite like this song. I’d wager the verses and chorus are possibly Ripper’s best studio recordings with Priest. 8/10

In Between – More nü-metal, more lack of vocal melodies. The lyrics wreak of faux-poeticism; juxtaposition of simple concepts and listing antonyms does not make you intelligent. The riffs are incredibly boring. I’ll give it an extra point just for a couple halfway decent Ripper wails. 2/10

Feed on Me – I like the syncopated chug riffs in this one and the verses are really solid. It almost sounds like a 90s-era Dio song. Other than the layered “I got what you need!” layers during the post-chorus, this song is great. It really could be a Priest song from any era with different production. Good verses, good chorus, sexual innuendo lyrics…until that lame, corpse-wailing take on the verse that comes in after the solo. Damnit, Ripper. You lose a point for that. You can’t put a tambourine in a song with corpse-wailing! Anyway, this is a good tune. 9/10

Subterfuge – Another very promising start with some unfortunate cheese-grater guitars. The groove is killer and the verses are catchy. The pre-chorus and the shitty attempt at KoRn guitars nearly pull me out of it, but the creepiness eventually works in the songs favor. Thank Dio that the chorus is pretty catchy. Bass fill! The little bluesy solo and Ripper’s wail are awesome, and the vocal bridge is a nice touch. The production flourishes used here sound like the culmination of the experimentation of the last couple albums – merging the Priest sound with modern layers and industrial soundscapes. I don’t love all of the choices, but they're interesting. 9/10

Lost and Found – Is this “Mama Said”? Is that a steel guitar?! Ripper sounds like one of Zakk Wylde's acoustic albums. I wish this guy could just sing a fucking melody without wheezing. The major key chorus is hilariously lame. Honestly, I feel like I’m listening to someone pitch a song for Ozzy that even Ozzy would turn down. It’s a shame that the guitar solos are recorded through cheese graters, because that harmonized section is really beautiful. This ballad is a damn mess, but I’ll still take it over some of the other poor material on this album. The final rising key and “I’m found” sound like the template that Petrucci and Rudess used for the entirety of The Astonishing. 3/10

Cyberface – Another near seven-minute track with an overlong intro of sound FX? At least we’re almost done with this phase of Priest’s career. The riffs are pummeling, especially that oddly atonal layer. Speaking of atonal: fucking sing a melody Ripper! Stop sliding around in your “creepy mode!” I don’t care that you’ll stare through my window at night with your guyliner and single dangly earring and jean jacket vest and pre-mature baldness…it’s not scary it just sounds fucking lame! “Beware his megabyte”…fuck me running. Dear Mr. Travis, please stay away from the songwriting room forever (unless you only contributed the rhythms that inspired the guitar riffs and had nothing to do with the garbage words). 2/10

Metal Messiah – Here’s the thing about this song: the chorus is really great. It’s catchy, it’s anthemic without trying too hard, it’s genuinely melodic…but the rest…holy shit, why?!????! Why is Ripper rapping? The verses are actually offensive to my ears as a Judas Priest fan. The verses sound like Psychostick. If you don’t know Psychostick, look them up. My buddies play in Psychostick and they’re cool. The thing is: they make comedy metal. These verses sound like a joke. Not like, “Oh that’s bad, let’s make fun of it!”, but “This song is actually written to make people laugh.” Go home, Ripper, you're drunk. 3/10

Album rating – 4.6/10

Great write up, again. Machine Man is the only song from this album I know and I like it a lot, seems like a darker and edgier version of Hellbent For Leather. I really don't like the "Through the limits as they rocket... past" line, why is there such a pause between rocket and past? Weird. Love Glenn's solo though, and thank God the lead guitar tone is better than it was on Jugulator.

This write up, I find it too intolerantly negative to like it. One on One and also Hell is Home aren't that bad. They are not even bad.

Different strokes, as always, Foro. I simply find the performances and lyrics to be sophmoric. The grooves are cool, but overall I cannot find any other redeeming qualities.

Listening to Live in London now and as with Meltdown, the live versions are definitely better but I still think Ripper shines far brighter on the Halford material (because it's superior material).

On a quick listen through now. Hell Is Home sounds like a metal Bon Jovi - esque power ballad, it's weird, but pretty enjoyable. Not the best performance I've heard from Ripper though.

But that lead solo tone was total shit.

Last edited:
Overall I'd say it's a better song. Same with Feed on Me (and maybe even Bloodsuckers). The ending of Cathedral Spires is responsible for most of the hype. The rest of the song is pretty average.

I don't know about that, I love CS as a whole but I think the energy and improved production of Subterfuge gives it the edge.

I just finished Lost and Found. It was awful.

I saw Priest on the 1st leg of the Demolition tour. I was hoping they would open with Bloodsuckers but instead opened with Metal Gods. Good news is I had front row center stage! Anthrax opened with John Bush. I was screaming the lyrics back at John in unison with him. When he left the stage he gave me a thumb up!

On the 2nd leg of the tour, Priest returned to Houston but I did not go. Of course my buddy who went said they opened with Bloodsuckers!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/juda...eater-at-bayou-place-houston-tx-5bd8ab84.html

@MrKnickerbocker did you listen to "What's My Name?" ? It's a bonus track from this album, also the only song Ripper wrote with Priest. I think it's pretty cool, worth a listen.

Back