Judas Priest Discography Discussion (part 2 starting page 20)

So what's "Electric Eye" then? And what are the Priest equivalents to "Rime", "The Apparition", and "Phantom of the Opera"?
Electric Eye would be the equivalent to The Ides of March
There's no equivalent to Rime. Run of the Mill is their longest song at 8:33
Sinner is the equivalent to Phantom of the Opera
Victim of Changes the equivalent to Hallowed be Thy Name.

JUDAS PRIEST - STAINED CLASS

434.jpg

1. "Exciter" - Great drum intro and the guitar sound, while a bit thin, is still good. This speed metal prototype definitely is an important part of metal, and as a whole, it's pretty good. I think it may be a bit longer than it should be, but I can understand why it's a popular track. Halford sounds pretty good. I think I can round everything up to a 8/10.
  2. "White Heat, Red Hot" - Nice riff, not as much franticness as the previous song, but it's cool. Chorus isn't the best, but I don't dislike it. This feels like a Scorpions kind of song. I think it's pretty strong overall, just not gonna be an outright favorite, I think. 7/10
  3. "Better By You, Better Than Me" - I love this opening riff. Halford does a great job on the verses, leading up to a cool mini-chorus. The heavier bit of tempo change-up is awesome. Despite being a Spooky Tooth cover, I actually feel like Priest are doing a Uriah Heep kinda thing here. Despite all the controversy surrounding this song, I love it. Maybe the subliminal messages are working differently for this individual. 10/10
  4. "Stained Class" - Interesting opening, feels like Heart's "Barracuda". Verses are decent, pre-chorus is a little messy, but the chorus itself is fairly nice. The solo is quite nice and I'm really into this one. Not quite sure what it's supposed to be about, but I like it. 9/10
  5. "Invader" - Interesting opening to this one, but it builds up nicely to a rumble. The riff seems a bit standard but it's nice. Oh shit, the chorus sounds a lot like the Maiden one, more or less. And since I don't dislike the Maiden song, I don't dislike this either. I like the... bridge, I think. Yeah, I'm liking this. Again, it's very standard, but I like it. 8.5/10
  6. "Saints In Hell" - Good riff to this one. Halford sounds like Ozzy but with an actual vocal range, so I don't know if I like it much. The music is more interesting than the vocals. The chorus sounds like something from a filler track on Don't Break The Oath. The instrumental section is good. I think I'd rather hear this done by the Firepower line-up, so maybe I'll check out a live recording if I can find one. I like the song's back half better than the front half. It's not bad, but maybe one of the lesser ones on here. 7.5/10
  7. "Savage" - Nice high vocals opening this one up. Oh, but then it becomes something akin to "Quest For Fire". Feels like Priest on autopilot. Chorus isn't great. I will say that it's a little better than some of the other songs I've called average, so I think a 6/10 will work here.
  8. "Beyond the Realms of Death" - Uh-oh, this is another immortal classic. I'm scared now. The acoustic beginning is nice. Lyrically it's quite interesting. The heavier part is really cool. I heard this before but wasn't completely sold, but I'm liking it much more now. Definitely better than the other '70s titan "Victim of Changes". The solo is good, the pacing is good, everything is in pretty damn fine form. Yeah, far more impressed this time. I think it's probably the best thing of '70s Priest thus far. 10/10
  9. "Heroes End" - Ah yes, time for the album to come to a close. Nice opening, though the main riff is kinda meh. Halford's just jumping around vocally. Hey, this vocal bit sounds like Geddy Lee. I do like this song better than "Savage", but it's a bit of a weak end to such a strong album. I think I'll go with a 6.5/10.
Priest surprised me with this album. I was worried after Sin After Sin's wavering quality, but this one really showcased that they were moving forward and honing in on what would make them become a truly great band. As a whole, this is a strong album, with nothing dipping below a 6/10. I liked it very much. We're getting there. Good stuff.

Song Rating Average: 8.06/10

Yeah, an 8/10 sounds about right for this record. Pretty strong overall and a good showcase of early Priest slowly morphing into the metal gods they would soon become in the '80s.

1. "Beyond the Realms of Death" - 10/10
2. "Better By You, Better Than Me" - 10/10

3. "Stained Class" - 9/10

4. "Invader" - 8.5/10
5. "Exciter" - 8/10

6. "Saints In Hell" - 7.5/10
7. "White Heat, Red Hot" - 7/10

8. "Heroes End" - 6.5/10
9. "Savage" - 6/10

JUDAS PRIEST - KILLING MACHINE

judas-priest-killing-machine-20130714182006.jpg

1. "Delivering the Goods" - This is such a fucking aggressive song. Halford sounds like he wants to rip your throat out. The riffs are heavier than ever and it's a metallic throw-down, totally. Ending drum stuff is fantastic. I'm really liking it. Great song. 10/10
  2. "Rock Forever" - Cool riff here. The verses are kinda stupid though. Halford holds his notes in the chorus, but it's nothing special. The verse vocals are... eh. Don't sound that great. This screams "filler" to me. It gets more ridiculous as it goes along. Boy oh boy. 4/10
  3. "Evening Star" - Interesting quiet guitar stuff here. This sounds a bit better, but the chorus doesn't jive with me. The verses are better, but still only so-so. This chorus may get on my nerves by the end of the song. The instrumental section is much better. I enjoy this quiet return more than at the beginning. God, the chorus is still ridiculous. Well, thankfully most of the song is stronger, enough to raise it up to a 6/10, but it's really walking a thin line here.
  4. "Hell Bent For Leather" - Cool opening before we run into a pretty killer riff. Halford comes back with an aggressive vocal style, and the song is pretty awesome as a whole. The chorus is simplistic but awesome. This is a Priest classic for a reason - awesome song. 10/10
  5. "Take On the World" - All right, kinda cool drumbeat, but Halford doesn't sound too good here. A bit to throaty. Oh boy, the singalong chorus is pretty terrible. I think this is a little better than "United" was (both songs do kinda the same thing) but it's got exactly the same pitfalls. I'll happily give it the exact same grade, too: 4/10.
  6. "Burnin' Up" - Interesting opening bit here. Very sci-fi. The riff sounds good but the beat to it isn't the best. Oh, this is a song about sex? Like, I sometimes enjoy them if they work well enough, but this isn't working well. Stupid lyrics tear down everything that was good in this song, and there wasn't all that much to begin with, so... It's got some cool little bits but is ultimately just a waste of CD space. I'll give it a 4/10 because at least it's better than most of Jugulator.
  7. "The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Pronged Crown)" - One of the most iconic covers in all of metal. The riff is great, the way Halford's vocals are mixed in sounds cool, it's so much stronger than most of these songs have been. A real banger of a tune. Solo section is quite nice. Very strong beast of a tune. 9/10
  8. "Killing Machine" - Interesting riff to this, but it turns into a bland affair. I'm quite disappointed. I thought something called "Killing Machine" would at least be interesting, but so much for that. I mean, it's better than "Rock Forever", "Take On the World", and "Burnin' Up", but that's not saying much. Definition of average. 5/10
  9. "Running Wild" - Holy shit, I thought I was listening to "The Wicker Man" from Maiden for a moment. Is the album finally feeling inspired again? I think so. This is much better than most of it has been. It's definitely strong enough for an 8.5/10.
  10. "Before the Dawn" - Quiet acoustic song that showcases that Priest don't know how to succeed with this formula. It's not terrible, but it's not great either. Average affair again. Sad jams. 5/10
  11. "Evil Fantasies" - Oh boy, I dunno if I like this riff. I certainly don't like this beat. Is this about rape? I dunno what the fuck they were going for, but this is a complete mess. Terrible lyrics, terrible music, and the pace is ridiculous. God, I didn't think it would get any worse, but Priest managed to defy expectations nonetheless. Get the fuck out of my eardrums. 1/10
Well, that was the zaniest fucking album I've ever heard. Two songs were fantastic, two more were great, the rest just about sucked. I wasn't expecting such a turd fest from an album called fucking Killing Machine of all things. The only thing they killed was my interest level. "Goods", "Leather", "Manalishi", and "Running Wild" would have made a nice EP, but instead they're packaged in with an onslaught of mediocrity to outright bullshit. Never mind Killing Machine, here's the worst thing Priest has done outside of Jugulator.

Song Rating Average: 6.05/10

That's far too high. I'm in the mood to give it something like a 4.5/10 instead. Thank fuck they got better.

1. "Delivering the Goods" - 10/10
2. "Hell Bent for Leather" - 10/10

3. "The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Pronged Crown)" - 9/10

4. "Running Wild" - 8.5/10

5. "Evening Star" - 6/10

6. "Before the Dawn" - 5/10
7. "Killing Machine" - 5/10

8. "Take On the World" - 4/10
9. "Rock Forever" - 4/10
10. "Burnin' Up" - 4/10

11. "Evil Fantasies" - 1/10

When I said really negative, I used really along the lines of actually. Four and below is where true negativity starts. Five is just average, I understand how to rate fucking songs based on my fucking opinion, thanks.

10 - Perfect
9 - Great
8 - Good
7 - A lesser form of good
6 - Above average
5 - Average
4 - Below average
3 - Very meh
2 - Bad
1 - Terrible
0 - Nothing redeemable whatsoever

And what do you mean, “That’s what I’m here for?” I’m here because I thought it would be cool to go through a band which I used to enjoy during my younger metal days but seemed to have left behind when Maiden took center stage. Despite what you may think, I’ve been enjoying Priest’s discography as a whole, outside of Jugulator. Maybe I didn’t explain myself right when talking about those two songs that everyone seems to adore and yet I think are just average metal numbers that aren’t terrible but aren’t my thing at the same time, but I’ve been trying to give my accurate thoughts as best as I could. That’s why I’m here. (EDIT: I just realized you were talking about how you rate songs. My bad.)

This constant yammering about BTH&TA and OSAG is just gonna make me like the songs less than I already do. I don’t want to change your opinion - why should you change mine? I’d much rather convert people to Apparition fans if I really wanted to use the time...
I only tried to comprehend your ratings and
I still think I don't get it well. They can feel random. When a hippo farts on someone's telly it could be a 5, when a dog barks at 8.12 AM it could be a 7? Who knows.

I think you are a high-energy polarizing listener, reviewer. As if the rating gets better and better during the time you are writing one sentence about it. Same goes for songs you like less. Before we know, an early fine sounding blueprint for speedmetal/power metal gets a 1. You dislike it and before the rant is over, with comments that are blown out of proportion the rating literally races to a 1. The worst of the worst. As if the steam is coming out of your ears when you are reviewing. Dude, it is not just a song's "fault". It is your taste, connected to a first listening session. I do not know if that is true but I have the impression that you play a LOT of music and rate a LOT of music. I would not be surprised if these Priest albums were combined: first listening session and review at the same time. Reading such angerfests about classic albums (that are very new to the reviewer) can be a weird experience.

In such a (dissident) aggressive field of extreme opinions and ratings, there is a chance that the average (in your wording) songs do not know how to behave. They are the ones that are not picked up by that forceful storm and just become less extreme with at times a random rating. It is not all the time like that of course but at times a rating feels disjointed and people may wonder how that happened.

Thanks for your feedback. You do it your way, but I do wonder from time to time.

Last edited:
Victim of Changes is Priest's Hallowed Be Thy Name.

I always thought that the equivalent of Victim of Changes is Phantom of the Opera. HBTN has no equivalent, because there will be no other song like this, ever.
I do understand why people like it, just not my kinda thing honestly.

Yeah, me too. There are some great songs from the 70's, but their music is far superior in the 80's. If we combine all of the albums in the 70's in one album (with the best songs from each), that will be a fantastic album - something like this:

1.Never Satisfied
2.Victim Of Changes
3.The Ripper
4.Sinner
5.Diamonds & Rust
6.Exciter
7.Beyond The Realms Of Death
8.Hell Bent For Leather
9.The Green Manalishi (With The Two-Pronged Crown)
10.Before The Dawn

I think you are a high-energy polarizing listener, reviewer. As if the rating gets better and better during the time you are writing one sentence about it. Same goes for songs you like less. Before we know, an early fine sounding blueprint for speedmetal/power metal gets a 1. You dislike it and before the rant is over, with comments that are blown out of proportion the rating literally races to a 1. The worst of the worst. As if the steam is coming out of your ears when you are reviewing. Dude, it is not just a song's "fault". It is your taste, connected to a first listening session. I do not know if that is true but I have the impression that you play a LOT of music and rate a LOT of music. I would not be surprised if these Priest albums were combined: first listening session and review at the same time. Reading such angerfests about classic albums (that are very new to the reviewer) can be a weird experience.
You're right on the nose with a lot of this. While there are a good many Priest songs I have heard before, there are also a ton that have slipped me by and I'm discovering for the first time. So yeah, you are seeing some of the reviews coming directly from me listening to them now, but I've known throughout the years that growers can happen frequently. Thus, even after making those posts, I do like to go back and listen to the stuff I've already rated again, just a matter of sooner or later. That's how "Hell Patrol" jumped suddenly. I get your point though; mainly the reason I like to post first time listened reviews is because it helps me see how I've come along musically when I look back at them in the future. So I do get that they can be very polarizing at times, lol. But good post, gives a lot to think about.

Stained Class is beyond a shade of doubt my favourite Priest album. It's both the most consistent in quality and the best-written, and even the weakest song (White Heat, Red Hot) is killer.

Stained Class is beyond a shade of doubt my favourite Priest album. It's both the most consistent in quality and the best-written, and even the weakest song (White Heat, Red Hot) is killer.
This is my exact opinion about Stained Class.

I really like the sound and mood of Stained Class. It’s dark and heavy like an early Sabbath album but still with its own vibe. I still have to go with Sin After Sin though based on the songs alone.

Back