Wasting Love

How good is Wasting Love on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
An OK harmonized intro leads into...hey, wait a minute Janick, that's the opening to "Son Of A Gun"! Self-plagiarizing only 2 years later? Geez.

Bruce offers a nice verse vocal, leading into a pretty strong chorus. Another round of verse and chorus returns to the intro bit, followed by a brief crunchy interlude and a nice solo. Another return to the chorus, and the song ends on a classy acoustic chord.

This one's simple but effective, and is a nice showcase for Bruce's voice. Good, but not quite great. 7/10.

An OK harmonized intro leads into...hey, wait a minute Janick, that's the opening to "Son Of A Gun"! Self-plagiarizing only 2 years later? Geez.
Y'know.... I never noticed this! That's a nice observation. :)

An interesting riff leads to a repeat of the "Son of a Gun" intro. It's much better on the first song. I like Bruce's intentions here, but the lyrics just don't fully get it fleshed-out. Good vocal performance, but otherwise it's merely above average. 6

A very favorite song of mine (top 10). The start of the song is brilliant, the acoustic guitar melody is haunting. Good pre-chorus, but the actual chorus is amazing. Powerful drums from Nicko, but the real highlight of the song is the solo from Janick - one of his bests, and overall one of the best solos ever, though being short. The guitar licks at the end under the chorus are also awesome. A true classic. I only can give it a 10/10.

Last edited:
It's not a bad song by any means, but I've always find it slightly underwhelming considering that all the elements in the song are actually damn good. I like the intro, I like the melodies, it has pretty strong chorus, I like the solo and even the rather "stale" producing of the album kinda suits the agony of the lyrics and sad atmosphere of the song. There's just something slightly off-putting mediocrity in it. I like acoustic covers of the song and overall, I feel that either re-arranging or just re-recording it would've done miracles. If Bruce saved the song for his solo album or it was recorded for BNW, I feel that it might have turned out much better. Janick does great job here, but Adrian's playing would really give this one some much needed depth.

Anyway, it's definitely not garbage and it has some good, interesting and even unique qualities. It just doesn't quite manage to stand out among most of the other stuff they've recorded that just happens to be (in my opinion) so much better.

4/10

never liked this song, it’s too much GNR/Skid row type of ballad, popular style during that time. Rod must have had an idea that Maiden should become more radio-friendly for a weak moment. And is it a leftover from Tattooed Millionaire?

Actually, the song is one of my least favorite Maiden tunes

Back