Wasting Love

How good is Wasting Love on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Wasting Love

They are polarizing terms, leaving no room for anything in between. Good is a good term but there's surely something between good and bad or good and mediocre.

dictionary.com said:
me·di·o·cre
   /ˌmidiˈoʊkər/ Show Spelled[mee-dee-oh-ker] Show IPA
–adjective
of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate.

I do agree, though, that mediocre is quite a negative term.  I'd say use a five point scale, with excellent/great, good, average, bad, and terrible.

I never said that all of the songs in each group are equel. Some mediocre songs are better then others; Also, I only used these adjectives for a lack of a better term, it's not like it can be perfectly divided into 3 groups.

I have a more negative idea of the word mediocre (worse than this definition even), but maybe I'm exaggerating, and have misunderstood the word.  <_<

"Average" is one of the terms which could come after good.
Or "reasonable" or "tolerable" (?)

I apologize for my remark in my previous post (last sentence). I deleted it.

I guess average is ok, but Maiden's "average" song quality is pretty damn high.

The level of hair-splitting that has been reached here is astonishing.

We're getting too far into semantics here.

Forostar said:
They are polarizing terms, leaving no room for anything in between. Good is a good term but there's surely something between good and bad or good and mediocre.

But you have seperated votes into just "like" and dislike". And this also highlights the difficulties in analysing voting results when people are voting to different criteria. For example, you call a 5/10 a "dislike", when for me that gives an almost average score, and in the Iron Maiden catalogue that signifies a probably bloody good song and one which I like a lot. I realise that you're using those terms to try and analyse the votes against perceived perception of the album drawn from previous threads and discussions, but with people voting on different scales I think that's pretty difficult to do.

*splits a few more hairs*

I know people have different scales, but only a few have very different scales.
I have trouble making sense of your negative rankings while sometimes your reviews are positive, but as long as you are one of the few it's not too confusing for the overall view. ;)

Back to the like and dislike.

This division I made -1-5 (dislike) and 6-10 (like)-, is based on grades we got on my own secondary school. A 6 and eveything else is sufficient (positive). A 5 is unsufficient and everything under it too (negative). This is not an abnormal system when I want to compare this with the overall tone I often read about this album on this forum.

I decided to use this perspective because in previous discussions this particular album was often trashed, indicating that someone who trashed it would give not higher than a 5 (a 6 is not crap, a 6 is not mediocre, a 6 is not bad).

Now I see that the majority of people have voted positive (6 or higher), and this changes the idea that I had.

Not to interrupt your discussion, but can I move this thread and put up the next one?

The hell you can :mad:

What's the next song? Oh, I need to lsiten to this one again.

4. Terrible attempt at power ballads that were popular in early '90s metal music (Nothing Else Matters).

One of the better songs on the album. I've always liked Jan on acoustic and this has a pretty good intro too. 5/10

Hmm? One of the better songs and a 5/10 for rating?

Pretty much a bad attempt in power ballads. I'm not such a big fan of them, except for a few. 6/10

8/10, I really like this song, it sounds wonderful, the guitars sound beautiful, vocals sound really great too.

One of my favorite Maiden ballads. Bruce really tears it up on this song, and I must say that I think that his performance on this album is one of his best ever. 10/10.

I enjoy this more now than when it came out, then I would have given it a 3, but it has held up well .. so a 6.

9. I'm usually not much of a fan of ballads, but this is one of my favorite's on the album. Very beautiful song, great chorus, and I think this is one of the most underrated metal ballads out there.

Back