The Great ALEVIVOR Sleeps At Last... WINNERS!

Vote for your LEAST favorite song!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh wow! This is the duck Alestorm would really like (if they had an arena big enough):
rubberduck01.jpg

Fear of the duck, anyone?

Alestorm-logo.png

Eliminated after Round 1:

Journey Man - 7 votes
Weiber und Wein - 6 votes
Heavy Metal Pirates - 6 votes

One more round of this and I think we can move into the next album. Voting for "The Glorious Battle", "The Curse of Captain Morgan", "The Huntmaster", "Death Before The Mast", "Terror on the High Seas", and "Set Sail and Conquer".

Using all 6 votes to get things moving - The Curse of Captain Morgan, The Huntmaster, Death Before the Mast, Terror on the High Seas, Set Sail and Conquer, Flower of Scotland.

Is each round gonna have its own thread?

Alestorm-logo.png

Eliminated after Round 1:

Journey Man - 7 votes
Weiber und Wein - 6 votes
Heavy Metal Pirates - 6 votes

One more round of this and I think we can move into the next album. Voting for "The Glorious Battle", "The Curse of Captain Morgan", "The Huntmaster", "Death Before The Mast", "Terror on the High Seas", and "Set Sail and Conquer".
Nice touch with the logo there, I'm so gonna copy you in the future :p

Using all 6 votes to get things moving - The Curse of Captain Morgan, The Huntmaster, Death Before the Mast, Terror on the High Seas, Set Sail and Conquer, Flower of Scotland.

Is each round gonna have its own thread?
Nope. The thing is, I can’t actually edit the polls because I don’t have staff powers. Hence, I open up a new thread each round and @Night Prowler merges then together.

Speaking of which, thanks NP. :)

It seems to have already been decided that "Over the Seas", "Captain Morgan's Revenge" and "Wenches and Mead" are the most important songs on this album. For me, "Captain Morgan's Revenge" was the song that got me into Alestorm in the first place so I'd really like that one to stay in. "Wenches and Mead" is good fun live and, as with FOTD for Maiden, will probably never leave their live set. So as last time "Death before the Mast", "Set Sail and Conquer" and "Terror on the High Seas" can go - they're fine, just nothing particularly special. And on this sweep I'm adding "The Huntmaster" to this criteria. But I do really like "The Glorious Battle", "Of Treasure" and the cover of "Flower of Scotland" so after much deliberation I decided to jettison "Nancy the Tavern Wench" (which I would probably have had to do eventually anyway if it survives long enough to come up against the slightly similar sounding "Scraping the Barrel", which I slighly prefer out of the two). And "The Curse of Captain Morgan", as previously mentioned, is now obsolete anyway.

Onward then, the quest is never ending etc ...

alestorm_logo.jpg

Eliminated in Round 2:
The Curse of Captain Morgan (5)
The Huntmaster (5)
Death Before The Mast (5)

Black Sails at Midnight enters our midst with a hi-hi-ho, hands grasping that famous ol' spiced and men ready to keelhaul the Leviathan! No quarter to the ends of our days, that's what the chronicles of vengeance say, as we head onto our quest to find the perfect pirate song!

20110519104620477.jpg

• The Quest
  • Leviathan
  • That Famous Ol' Spiced
  • Keelhauled
  • To the Ends of Our Days
  • Black Sails at Midnight
  • No Quarter
  • Pirate Song
  • Chronicles of Vengeance
  • Wolves of the Sea (Pirates of the Sea cover)
  • P Is For Pirate (iTunes exclusive bonus track)
  • The Glorious Battle (Battleheart)
  • Over The Seas
  • Captain Morgan's Revenge
  • Nancy The Tavern Wench
  • Terror on the High Seas
  • Set Sail and Conquer
  • Of Treasure
  • Wenches & Mead
  • Flower of Scotland (The Corries cover)

Black Sails at Midnight
  • The Quest - Remember when I referred to "Over the Seas" as "not their best opener"? That's because of this song - it has everything; a good punchy riff, fantastic verses and chorus, and great duelling solos. Really, could you ask for more? Amazing track.
  • Leviathan - Another fantastic song. I will admit my admiration for the track has dampened just little bit since I first heard it a while back, but it's probably still one of my favourites. More enjoyable duelling solos between guitar and keyboards.
  • The Famous Ol' Spiced - I think this one is one of the weaker tracks on the album, and it reminds me a bit of The Huntmaster from the previous record. It's not too bad, the chorus is cool and I like the twist at the end and last chorus when it slows down. I'm still gonna throw it a vote, though.
  • Keelhauled - Essential Alestorm. Probably their signature song, and fittingly my very first introduction to the band. It's probably gonna rank pretty high, and I can't really argue with that. Very catchy indeed.
  • To the End of Our Days - This is the "Nancy the Tavern Wrench"-slow song of this album, but unfortunately it's nowhere near as strong. The instrumental parts work extremely well, especially the organ solo and the melodic part after that, but both the verses and the chorus drags it down for me. Vote.
  • Black Sails at Midnight - So we've had the token slow song, and now comes the token fast one. It's Alestorm in "crushing bones, cracking skulls"-mode, kinda like "Death Before the Mast" from the debut, but this title track is sooooo much better. I really enjoy it.
  • No Quarter - I had totally forgotten this one was instrumental. Cool track, great melodies throughout! The Pirates of the Caribbean-theme in the middle is cheesy as hell, but I can't help but love it!
  • Pirate Song - Probably the least imaginative song on the record, but still pretty decent. Nothing really stands out for me on this track. I'm happy to let it be for now, but won't be sad if it gets voted out.
  • Chronicles of Vengeance - Not a fan of this one. Like the other weaker tracks, I don't mind it per se, but it isn't really interesting in any way. Vote.
  • Wolves of the Sea - Finally a decent cover! Hell, this one works extremely well - it's obviously plain dumb fun, but it's doing a great job at that!
  • P is for Pirate - It's not on my copy of the album, and I won't bother looking for it now.

Black Sails at Midnight is my favourite Alestorm record, and I'd choose at least three, maybe four of its tracks for my personal top 10. Interesting to see where they end up :)
In addition to the above, I'm also gonna vote for The Glorious Battle, Terror on the High Seas, Set Sail and Conquer and Flower of Scotland.

P is for Pirate - It's not on my copy of the album, and I won't bother looking for it now.
This is an iTunes exclusive parody of "C Is For Cookie"... and I can't find it anywhere except Bowes singing it in a crowd of people:

So vote it out if you like, I'll probably do that anyway....

This is an iTunes exclusive parody of "C Is For Cookie"... and I can't find it anywhere except Bowes singing it in a crowd of people:

So vote it out if you like, I'll probably do that anyway....
This really sounds like it was concocted with pub singing in mind - it probably sounds better/funnier the more drunk you are. That bloke's face at the end says it all really :lol:.

A step-up from the debut, at least in strength - not one bad song to be found on this album. Probably the three least good are "Leviathan", "That Famous Ol' Spiced", and "No Quarter", but the rest are all top-tier.

This is tough, but voting for "The Glorious Battle", "Nancy the Tavern Wench", "Of Treasure", "Flower of Scotland", "Terror on the High Seas", "Set Sail and Conquer", "Leviathan", "That Famous Ol' Spiced", "No Quarter", and "P is for Pirate".

Hearing their take on "Wolves of the Sea" makes me kind of wish they had held back FWAA to be Scotland's first independent Eurovision entry :lol:.

Alestorm_Logo_2011.png

Eliminated in Round 3:
The Glorious Battle (5 votes)
Flower of Scotland (5 votes)
Terror on the High Seas (4 votes)
Chronicles of Vengeance (4 votes)
P Is For Pirate (4 votes)

Voting for "Nancy", "Set Sail", "Of Treasure", "Leviathan", "Ol' Spiced", "No Quarter", and I couldn't decide on a seventh one.

Back