Alexander the Great song

Don

Invader
I have been reading a lot of replies that has to do with the legacy of the Beast tour that is going to be happening in 2018 and 2019. There are a lot of replies to the setlist of different songs we all like and would like to hear in concert. I read a lot about the song Alexander the Great seems a lot of people don't really care for that song. I personally love the song I love what the song is about it's very historic it's about Alexander the Great some history on him and what he died from and where he died. I think the music along with the lyrics are awesome. I'm just looking for some point of views and some opinions to why Alexander the Great is not such a good song. I just want to know why such a great song is not well liked. Please tell me your opinions and point of views and the song Alexander the Great. It's totally cool man there are some Iron Maiden songs that I'm not crazy about. I just would like to hear different points of views about Alexander the Great. I would like to see if there's something I am missing about this song that I did maybe not know before or maybe there's something I didn't hear or catch. Maybe it's a song that some musicians don't have fun playing. Maybe it's too long maybe it sounds like other songs maybe it's boring. I am very interested to hear your opinions on Alexander the Great. There may be some points of View and opinions that I might agree with. Or maybe there is something I didn't realize that is going on with this song. And keep in mind this is all friendly talk. Thank you. Don

The song is a demonstration that they went soft, but more interesting from Powerslave era (trash influence) to Somewhere in Time (power metal influence).

It's not so much 'don't care for' as 'think the hype is slightly OTT'.

"It's Maiden's hidden gem!" Er, it's not very well hidden. "It'll be the greatest thing ever if they play it live!".And the average concertgoer will be standing stock still waiting for Trooper, Fear of the Dark, or Run To The Hills.

The song is a demonstration that they went soft, but more interesting from Powerslave era (trash influence) to Somewhere in Time (power metal influence).

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but every now and again I come across an opinion which really does leave me scratching my head and thinking “are we listening to the same band”?

Last edited:
I would have said that SIT is the thrashiest Maiden album.

it's a blend of thrash and power metal.... Sea of Madness is vicious, nearly everything is heavy and with the guitar tones and amazing solos, it's got plenty of power metal in it

"It's Maiden's hidden gem!" Er, it's not very well hidden. "It'll be the greatest thing ever if they play it live!".And the average concertgoer will be standing stock still waiting for Trooper, Fear of the Dark, or Run To The Hills.
This + the performance of the song probably wouldn't be that great. Knowing how the band usually operates, it would be sloppy and not well rehearsed.

As much as I love the tune (and wish it made it in the setlist back in 86/87), I don't think it would really work that well live now. Janick would take the H solo and turn it into mush (love Janick, but not when he butchers Adrian's stuff), the band would be sloppy overall, the guitars obviously wouldn't have that awesome reverby/ethereal GK tone, Nicko would push the pace too fast in the instrumental bit etc...

Where did you see that here?
If you read the legacy of the Beast tour 2018 my perfect setlist thread you will see some comments about some of us not liking Alexander the Great . There has been some replies expressing not much interest to see Iron Maiden play that song live which is cool there's no right and there's no wrong.

Yes yes yes yes. You are absolutely right I totally agree with you. If you don't mind me asking are you an old school Iron Maiden fan?

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but every now and again I come across an opinion which really does leave me scratching my head and thinking “are we listening to the same band”?
Absolutely I do know the feeling

If you read the legacy of the Beast tour 2018 my perfect setlist thread you will see some comments about some of us not liking Alexander the Great . There has been some replies expressing not much interest to see Iron Maiden play that song live which is cool there's no right and there's no wrong.
Lack of interest is not the same as being realistic and *know* it's not going to happen. We're more of the latter opinion.

You can also like the song while not being interested in seeing it performed live.

Yes yes yes yes. You are absolutely right I totally agree with you. If you don't mind me asking are you an old school Iron Maiden fan?
I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean 'prefer 80s to anything else', then no.

Back