Alexander the Great song

No they don't. What will always work with Harris penned songs is the mapping between syllables and other vocal accents down to the beat. That's why it may sound good to someone that doesn't understand the words. "He died of fever in Babylon" is the stupidest lyric line ever to close a Maiden record.

Edit : what I mean Diesel is that vocal flow could be retained with lyrics more akin to poetry than to a class seminar. And ones that are historically correct. If you're making a history song.

Harris never spent the time writing ATG as he did with ROTAM. ATG lyrics are a quick botch job. They weren't intended to be there. Dickinson hates them. I think all of this is known.
I mean, I can understand this but just as prose I enjoy the lyrics as well. I dunno, to each his own?

I mean, I can understand this but just as prose I enjoy the lyrics as well. I dunno, to each his own?

As always ;) TBH 2/3 is painful for me, the section right after the instrumental is ok lyrically. In a prosaic context. In the same context tho, this :

King Darius the third
Defeated fled Persia
The Scythians fell by the river Jaxartes
Then Egypt fell to the Macedon King as well
And he founded the city called Alexandria

By the Tigris river
He met King Darius again
And crushed him again in the battle of Arbela
Entering Babylon
And Susa, treasures he found
Took Persepolis the capital of Persia

is of a elementary school assignment caliber.

I'm gonna just drop this here

2000px-Flag_of_Macedonia.svg.png

No, I'm not a "play classics!" fan. I'm just aware that Maiden do like 'safe' setlists that will get those fans going, and I saw a good many people looking bored, chatting, or wandering off when SSOASS was played live. By contrast, most of the crowd seemed to get into FOTD and Trooper
It's a shame that's a good album man I got you though true very much so thanks for the reply my friend

I love the lyrics (and the lyrical flow) of Alexander the Great. It's a history lesson that rocks! I believe Maiden WILL play this song on the next tour. It's simply too great of a song to never get played.

Back