Alexander the Great song

I don't know man. I really don't find Iron Maiden thrashy at all.
If you ask me, the only example where they even get close is probably Be Quick or Be Dead, and that's a total one-off. But what a glorious one-off it is. Although I do suppose Purgatory also qualifies, if not even more so.

Somewhere in Time isn't really aggressive enough to qualify, even if the average pace of the songs is probably higher than on other Maiden albums. The guitars are so effects heavy that they don't really bring enough grunt to the riffs to make them stand out and the title track is largely built around the main harmony, not a riff.

Reactions: Don
The first time I heard SIT I thought that at some points the rhythm section sounded a little thrashy.

If you ask me, the only example where they even get close is probably Be Quick or Be Dead, and that's a total one-off. But what a glorious one-off it is. Although I do suppose Purgatory also qualifies, if not even more so.

Somewhere in Time isn't really aggressive enough to qualify, even if the average pace of the songs is probably higher than on other Maiden albums. The guitars are so effects heavy that they don't really bring enough grunt to the riffs to make them stand out and the title track is largely built around the main harmony, not a riff.

The verse riffs of long distance runner are very aggressive. So is the main riff of Sea of Madness

This song helped me in High School history:

"What happened in 334 BC?"

"The Mastodon King utterly beat the armies of Persia, sir."

Anyone else's teachers ever play IM in class?

Anyhoo, maybe Maiden will do a "deep cuts" tour one of these days (which would be freakin' AWESOME)... but barring that, I can't see 'em adding Alexander to any of the current playlists. In the time it'd take to play it, they could rattle thru 2-or-so other songs that are much better known...

...'tho, if they play in Greece, I could see 'em giving it a whirl. (Or wherever Macedonia is. That's Greece, right? High school history class was a loooong time ago. But wherever it is, I'm pretty sure it's by the Aegean Sea, 'cause that rhymes with 334 BC.)

Somewhere in Time isn't really aggressive enough to qualify, even if the average pace of the songs is probably higher than on other Maiden albums. The guitars are so effects heavy that they don't really bring enough grunt to the riffs to make them stand out and the title track is largely built around the main harmony, not a riff.[/QUOTE. I totally agree with you

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean 'prefer 80s to anything else', then no.
What I mean is when I read your reply the Casual fan would want to hear just the usual hits they're probably not really familiar Alexander you sound like an old school Iron Maiden fan that's really cool so basically what I was saying Old Iron Maiden could possibly beat her favorite out of all the years of Iron Maiden.. you know more than just a casual fan. That's awesome. I'm totally a 1980s person I grew up in the 80s I was a teenager in the 80s all my favorite music is from the 80s that's all I really listen to. Course I listen to the new Maiden the new Megadeth and Metallica all the 80's bands that are still out in classic rock Stones you know but not much new metal . Up the irons

What I mean is when I read your reply the Casual fan would want to hear just the usual hits they're probably not really familiar Alexander you sound like an old school Iron Maiden fan that's really cool so basically what I was saying Old Iron Maiden could possibly beat her favorite out of all the years of Iron Maiden.. you know more than just a casual fan. That's awesome. I'm totally a 1980s person I grew up in the 80s I was a teenager in the 80s all my favorite music is from the 80s that's all I really listen to. Course I listen to the new Maiden the new Megadeth and Metallica all the 80's bands that are still out in classic rock Stones you know but not much new metal . Up the irons
No, I'm not a "play classics!" fan. I'm just aware that Maiden do like 'safe' setlists that will get those fans going, and I saw a good many people looking bored, chatting, or wandering off when SSOASS was played live. By contrast, most of the crowd seemed to get into FOTD and Trooper

It's not so much 'don't care for' as 'think the hype is slightly OTT'.

"It's Maiden's hidden gem!" Er, it's not very well hidden. "It'll be the greatest thing ever if they play it live!".And the average concertgoer will be standing stock still waiting for Trooper, Fear of the Dark, or Run To The Hills.

Not to mention that the lyrics sound like a shopping list and like a mediocre GCSE essay on Alexander's life. The instrumental bits are really good though, but probably not enough to justify it being played live.

Instrumentally it's excellent, but the lyrics aren't a patch on much of the material Maiden are capable of.

IDK, I still love the lyrics. They're different but they work great in the song.

No they don't. What will always work with Harris penned songs is the mapping between syllables and other vocal accents down to the beat. That's why it may sound good to someone that doesn't understand the words. "He died of fever in Babylon" is the stupidest lyric line ever to close a Maiden record.

Edit : what I mean Diesel is that vocal flow could be retained with lyrics more akin to poetry than to a class seminar. And ones that are historically correct. If you're making a history song.

Harris never spent the time writing ATG as he did with ROTAM. ATG lyrics are a quick botch job. They weren't intended to be there. Dickinson hates them. I think all of this is known.

Oh my god. This thread is like two trenches and a minefield dug up in anticipation of battle now.

There will be Greeks finding this thread and registering to comment on it in two years, mark my words.

Back