The 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang

That is impressive
Also, she had golden medals (5) on four different Olympic Games. Only Michael Phelps (23 golden medals on 4 Games) and Carl Lewis (9 golden medals on 4 games) have a better score in this regard. She comes after these legends on the third place, as best and only woman.

That is impressive. I always think of Apollo Ohno, who won 8 in 3 Olympics (02, 06 and '10)

Also, she had golden medals (5) on four different Olympic Games. Only Michael Phelps (23 golden medals on 4 Games) and Carl Lewis (9 golden medals on 4 games) have a better score in this regard. She comes after these legends on the third place, as best and only woman.
Ole Einar Bjørndalen has eight gold medals from four different olympic games (98, 2002, 2010, 2014).

Ole Einar Bjørndalen has eight gold medals from four different olympic games (98, 2002, 2010, 2014).
Sorry. The shortlist I saw was about golden medals on individual events on four Olympic Games in a row. No gold for Bjørndalen in 2006. And no individual gold in 2010 @Poto.

Irene Wüst is the first Winter Olympian to do this.

The whole list:
Michael Phelps swimming 2004-2016: 13
Carl Lewis athletics 1984-1996: 7
Ben Ainslie sailing 2000-2012: 4
Paul Elvström sailing 1948-1960: 4
Kaori Icho wrestling 2004-2016: 4
Al Oerter athletics 1956-1968: 4
Ireen Wüst speed skating 2006-2018: 4

Last edited:
Not the most memorable games so far. Windy, cold and small audiences. Hopefully the weather will improve because the wind is causing a lot of problems.

Sorry. I guess the shortlist I saw was about 4 Olympic Games in a row. No gold for Bjørndalen in 2006.
I saw it on TV, I hope to find it on internet. Perhaps to be continued.
Could be. Really annoying he didn't get a gold in 2006. He had a really good season and was in good form during the olympics. He ended up with two silver medals and a bronze. Not bad, but everyone was expecting him to totally dominate those games after winning four out of four in 2002. Norway ended up with two(!!!) gold medals that year, which was a disaster.

I feel sorry for some of those athletes. The women's snowboard slopestyle competition today was held despite winds that completely ruined the runs fro several athletes, and compromised their safety. The freestyle skiing/snowboard events are particularly vulnerable as the athletes spin around in the air, and if you get too much wind you'll come out of the spin at the wrong altitude above the ground. Thus it is a direct question about safety. Not good!

In ski jumping and downhill skiing, it's more a question of giving the athletes fair conditions.

I really hope we won't remember the 2018 games mainly for the wind.

I think American media were too dominant. Snowboarding could not be delayed. The other events could. 32 out of 50 people fell! Four years of training, and then this.

The long track speed skating would be so much more entertaining in the wind though. The Dutch are used to it though, from cycling.

It would be silly to assume the Dutch are unfamiliar with wind ...

Netherlands+Kinderdijk+Windmill+Museum.jpg

The greatest and most legendary and mythical(!) skating event is outdoors. The Elfstedentocht. A 200 km course going trough eleven Frisian towns. Last edition: 1997.

The greatest and most legendary and mythical(!) skating event is outdoors. The Elfstedentocht. A 200 km course going trough eleven Frisian towns. Last edition: 1997.
And because it is held outdoors, it may never happen again, sadly.

Indeed. It should freeze much harder and longer......!

All editions:
1985*

* that was a big gap as well: in between 1963 and 1985. Especially sad for Jan Roelof Kruithof who was virtually unbeatable in matches longer than 100 kilometer in the seventies and in the early eighties. He won nine alternative Elfstedentochten in between 1974 and 1991 (e.g. in Finland, Austria or Italy). He won 4 out of 5 editions of Oldambtrit (a race of 100 kilometer) in between 1969 and 1980. In 1994 he made a record for the longest distance in 24 hours: 665 kilometer and 700 meter. When in 1985 the Elfstedentocht finally arrived, he was still a big candidate, even though he was 48 years old. Unfortunately he fell during a difficult kluning part of the route (kluning = walking overland on ice skates).
In tour skating it is not always possible to travel the entire distance by skate. The ice under bridges might be too thin or kept open for transportational purposes. In this case, the skater is forced to take off his skates, walk a certain distance and put his skates back on to carry on his trip. 'Kluning' however makes it possible to win time by walking the distance on land on skates. Planks or mats are placed in advance, to avoid damage to the blades.
Because of this fall he missed the leading group and became 12th. The next year he became 52nd. In 1997 he finished as first of the "tour skaters" (not competing the match, let's say these are the "amateurs", e.g. my uncle also took part in 1985 and 1986).

Canada has won mixed curling gold, and now are tied with the Dutch for 2nd in medal count. Not a bad start, considering our best sports are still to come (looking at you, hockey).

If they're not able to complete the scheduled alpine skiing events tomorrow, I fear some of those events will eventually be gone with the wind ... they are already far behind schedule.

Also, Norway losing to Japan in curling? Bah, humbug! Anyway, Norway's curling team wins the "best pants" award this time too. Today's outfit featured - of course - hearts. Plenty of hearts.

Slovenia has beaten USA in Ice Hockey today. Mind you, we have around 100 professional hockey players here.

Back