The 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang

I find this Olympic Athletes From Russia thing a bit odd. I'm OK with clean athletes competing (innocent until proven guilty) but when there's OAR hockey, curling etc. teams then it sort of pisses all over the Russian ban as that team is obviously still representing Russia and they have Russia in the team name. If the IOC wants to have a team competing under the Olympic flag then why not have athletes whose countries aren't good enough to qualify for the Olympics but are still of Olympic standard themselves (e.g. a Kenyan ice hockey player or something). The OAR hockey team is just Russia and will be treated as such by their opponents.

Decent day for Norway so far. Two gold medals, two silver medals and one bronze.
And not just any medals either - all of them are milestones in Norwegian Olympic history:
  • First ever gold medal in an Olympic downhill race! Aamodt, Kjus and Svindal all came close before, but this time it was meant to be.
  • First female medal winner in alpine skiing since 1936!
  • Ragnhild Haga with her first ever Olympic medal, and it's a gold! And in a distance where Sweden's Charlotte Kalla was a clear favourite before start (she finished second).
Medal chances also in the biathlon later today. Skeptical of the chances in the women's 15km, but I guess the guys are very motivated for their 20km after a disappointing start to the Games.

And Norways third gold medal today. Johannes Thingnes Bø wins the 20 km. One of the most exciting biathlon races I have ever seen.

Jakov Fak silver medal.
:okok:

Great biathlon race. Shame that Johannes Thingnes Bø is just too good on the track.

Fourcade bottled it like P$G.

Nice bottle job by Fourcade :D When Bø missed a second time, I was sure Fourcade would win.

Awesome day for Norway.

Also cool that we got to see a surprise on the women's 15km. Swedish biathlon has taken a big step forward this season and they're doing really well in the Olympics. (As a Norwegian, I feel a little guilty about being so positive towards a Swedish win, but an underdog winning in a competition where our own fail, is always cool :cool:)

New chance for the alpine skiers tomorrow as the men's Super G is scheduled. Unfortunately, it is 3AM in Europe ...

I find this Olympic Athletes From Russia thing a bit odd. I'm OK with clean athletes competing (innocent until proven guilty) but when there's OAR hockey, curling etc. teams then it sort of pisses all over the Russian ban as that team is obviously still representing Russia and they have Russia in the team name. If the IOC wants to have a team competing under the Olympic flag then why not have athletes whose countries aren't good enough to qualify for the Olympics but are still of Olympic standard themselves (e.g. a Kenyan ice hockey player or something). The OAR hockey team is just Russia and will be treated as such by their opponents.

But medals won't be added to Russian score.

But medals won't be added to Russian score.
Who cares? There's no prize for the country at the top of the medal table and there's nothing to stop the Russian Olympic Association and various sports associations from taking credit for the OAR successes as the athletes did come through their system and use their funding.

Everyone cares who cares about punishing state sponsored doping.
There's no prize for the country at the top of the medal table and there's nothing to stop the Russian Olympic Association and various sports associations from taking credit for the OAR successes as the athletes did come through their system and use their funding.
Who cares? That is a different matter.

And look how crap Russian sporters are now without (large scale) doping.

168 sporters and CRAP success.

tenor.gif

Everyone cares who cares about punishing state sponsored doping.

Who cares? That is a different matter.
I agree that state-sponsored doping should be punished, but I meant that the medals table doesn't matter. There's not a trophy for the country at the top of the medals table. An OAR hockey team is still representing Russia, Olympic flag or not, and the Russians still get to brag about any success they have.

It's indeed hard to stop that. At least people were finally banned. Next Olympics, possibly even less success.

Wiz you can't stop people from bragging about anything. Statistically speaking these medals are not Russian and they won't be mentioned when sport commentators do their thing. It "matters" what an official speaker on Eurosport says...

Holy Cologne. Cologna was very impressive. He has beaten the Norwegians, Spitsov, Manificat, Harvey, Hellner and Halfarseson.

What this 15 km not interesting one for Klaebo @Dr. Eddies Wingman ? Well, I guess one can't do it all in this sport.

I think they want to save him for the next two distances (team sprint and 4*10km relay) while at the same time giving Finn-Hågen Krogh a chance to show his form. Sadly, Krogh wasn't up to it and probably blew his chance for a place in the relay team.

Cologna is a machine. Impressive, most impressive. Also impressed by the two young medalists - our onw Krüger showed that the 30km gold was no coincidence, and Spetsov showing that Russia may have a new generation of good skiers on the way. Let's hope the state-supported doping system doesn't get their hands on these talented guys, I want to see Russia as a good winter sports nation show what they can do without it.

Also, for the first time since 1998 (Hermann Maier) a non-Norwegian skier won the men's Super G. Another third place for Jansrud, and I think our downhill/super G team is very pleased with the results overall. The downhill curse is finally lifted, to quote a certain song.

Back