The 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Four weeks to go!

In case of any important (or not) developments (selections, qualifications etc.) leading to the Olympics, people can already write away. Looking forward to see how people are going to enjoy/endure this event.

Thanks for the thread, Foro! I'm really looking forward to the games!
I'm watching the men's relay in biathlon as we speak. :lol:

It's official - Ole Einar Bjørndalen is not selected in the Norwegian biathlete squad for Pyeongchang. It's sad, but not very controversial as he has yet to deliver any really good results this season.

No disrespect, but I'd rather watch paint dry.

Turkey has zero medals in the Winter Olympics and it barely gets broadcast here, so clearly this sentiment is shared by many here. :D

Great Winter Olympics record by 45 year old Noriaki Kasai! This ski jumper jumped on his eight Olympic Games. No one else had so many Winter Games appearances before. And he is still hoping for the 2026 Games!!! My wife met him once in Zakopane, with other ski jumpers. A very humble and funny man. The nicest of the bunch. Read on about this legend.

= = = = = = =

By competing at the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics, Noriaki Kasai set a record for most appearances by an athlete at the Winter Olympics. The Japanese ski jumper participated in eight straight Olympics, beginning in 1992 and stretching to 2018.

Just for the sake of comparison, the top ski jumper in the world in 2017 – Austria’s Stefan Kraft – was born in 1993, a year after Kasai’s Olympic debut.
kasai_edited.jpg

Kasai’s performance at the 2014 Sochi Olympics was record-setting in its own right. Not only did he set the record – tying with Russian luger Albert Demchenko – for seven Winter Olympic appearances, but he set several other records as well.

Kasai became ski jumping’s oldest individual medalist in Sochi when he won a silver medal on the large hill. He was 41 years, 254 days old. He also became the oldest medalist in ski jumping when he earned a bronze medal in the team event two days later, at 41 years, 256 days old. Additionally, by winning medals in Sochi, he tied the record for longest gap between winning medals: 20 years between Lillehammer in 1994 and Sochi 2014.

Kasai was born in Sapporo, Japan, a few months after the city hosted the Winter Olympics in 1972. He has said he expects to ski jump at the 2022 Olympics (his ninth Games), when he will be approaching 50.

More surprising still is that he hasn’t ruled out the 2026 Games, especially if Sapporo chooses to bid for hosting rights. Kasai would be 53.

As the owner of silver and bronze medals, he says his lack of a gold medal is what still drives him. If he accomplishes those goals in PyeongChang, he may reel back his claims of continuing in the sport.

Canadian equestrian competitior Ian Millar holds the overall record, competing in 10 Olympics. He competed at the Games in 1972, 1976, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008, and 2012. Canada boycotted the 1980 Olympics. His only medal, a silver, came at the 2012 London Olympics.

Kasai placed 20th in the men’s individual normal hill qualification round Thursday to advance to Saturday’s first round.

edit:
Check this out:

Last edited:
Dont know anything about the old winter sports but I certainly like to watch the Winter Olympics. I shall be supporting the 5-strong Irish team, even though 4 of them aren't actually Irish. If it was good enough for Jack Charlton, its good enough for me.
Do they have ice climbing in this?

At the opening ceremony you'll see only 11 Dutch people walking out there. The team is 3 times as big but two third need to perform in the upcoming 2/3 days. Some even tomorrow and their last training is during the ceremony.

I am going to speculate that the reason why North Korean athletes are participating is because they misread Pyeongyang for Pyeongchang.

Back