Bruce Dickinson

Hi guys. i have to introduce myself . I'm Yoav, 30 years old ,from Israel. I'm a huge fan of Maiden and Bruce's solo music .I've been reading here for some time but never commented . The same goes on the official IM forum board. I'm too lazy and i leave all the talking\writing stuff to my girlfriend, but this time i want to comment. I've been reading the last posts and it all seems weird to me . Why some people are so sure that Bruce can't compose music ? Why do so many suspect that Bruce didn't write If eternity should fail on his own ? What did drive you to think that Bruce can't write anything good wothout Roy Z? If Roy is such a great musician and composer and Bruce is helpless without Roy's input where is a great Roy Z album ? We have great Bruce's albums and great Maiden albums and we have a couple of mediocre latino rock albums from Roy. After parting of the ways between him and Bruce Roy hasn't done anything significant music-wise, nothing at all.
I have no idea what drunken rant you are talking about and what the guy said this time ,but i met Roy twice 4 years ago and i have to say he's not the smartest guy in the universe and can be rude to his own fans. I visited California with my then girlfriend . She liked latino rock and we wanted to catch some gig while in LA. I also was happy to see Roy playng . First evening Roy was drunk , on stage drunk i mean. It didn't affect his palying that was awesome but at some point he stoped playing and started ranting about highway patrol pigs , and his f-ng dentist and bad weather and about someone called Jose who robbed him and so on. It took him like 15 min to calm down . My girlfriend wanted to get an autograph so we asked the venue manager how we can get it. We were told to wait in some place near the parking just outside the venue and 40 min later Roy came out and his attitude was not that friendly, but at least my girlfriend got her copy signed.It was enough for me but she wanted to return next night for the second show. This time the show was flawless and really good and i enjoyed it . However after the show we just ran into Roy and another guy . My girlfriend said hello Roy and it was all, but for some reason he started yelling at her " wtf , what's going on! are you a stalker? i'm not your f-ng rock star". It was weird .

Last edited:
Why some people are so sure that Bruce can't compose music ?
I second this. I listened to Rob Halford's solo stuff cowritten and produced by Roy Z as well, and it's shite (IMHO) as compared to Bruce's. This is how I found out who is the real songwriter - Bruce or Roy. It is Bruce. Period.
And to crown it all, it was Bruce who composed EOTC. Nuff said.

Not nuff said.

I happen to like songs such as Crucible.

Also I realize that the songs Bruce did where Z wrote the music are generally better than other Bruce solo stuff done with anybody else.

Also, Roy Z wrote this awesome music:
and this:
No shite to be found here, unless it's the stuff some people have in their ears or the stuff they use when they paint an incorrect, incomplete picture of the talented Roy Z.

Last edited:
Not nuff said.

It's just your view. Mine is different. If Roy were a great musician and composer, we'd know something about him not related to Bruce or whoever else.
It's just like with the Beatles breakup - only after they broke up the world came to know who of the four could compose music and who couldn't.

It was a chemical collaboration. If Bruce wants to write his next solo album alone, let's see how that goes.

And you're forgetting something with your crappy comparisons:
Bruce is a singer. Roy Z isn't. Usually, the singers make solo albums, even if the guitarist would write all music for him.

Instrumentalists only (or mostly) do that when they are guitar wankers/heroes. Also it can happen that they use a vocalist but most of the times, the artist is the singer. To call Accident of Birth a Roy Z solo album would sound weird, but if you find music as important as lyrics, then technically he wrote the most. He did the most.

Roy Z's music fits best with vocals. The man wrote grabbing chord schemes, riffing, melodies. All the stuff accessible metal music (with vocals) needs.

Last edited:
Not nuff said.

Also I realize that the songs Bruce did where Z wrote the music are generally better than other Bruce solo stuff done with anybody else.

Also, Roy Z wrote this awesome music:
and this:
No shite to be found here, unless it's the stuff some people have in their ears or the stuff they use when they paint an incorrect, incomplete picture of the talented Roy Z.

It's not shite but it's generic average metal music, reminds me a bit of Angra or actually of dozens other metal bands. So my conclusion is the opposite to yours : Bruce's input it's what really makes their work great .
Anyway huge thanks to Roy for the Accident of birth riffs that inspired Bruce's return to Metal, and also for producing Bruce's albums , great job here.

Of course a great singer makes music greater. But Roy Z wrote the most. However rude the man behaved, however much (and conveniently) people disqualify his work with other vocalists, this is something that should not be overlooked.

If only Bruce's input is seen as great, your music collection (and focus on this genre) must be incredibly small. Great isn't it? Small, that's what that is.

It was a chemical collaboration. If Bruce wants to write his next solo album alone, let's see how that goes.

And you're forgetting something with your crappy comparisons:
Bruce is a singer. Roy Z isn't. Usually, the singers make solo albums, even if the guitarist would write all music for him.

Instrumentalists only (or mostly) do that when they are guitar wankers/heroes. Also it can happen that they use a vocalist but most of the times, the artist is the singer. To call Accident of Birth a Roy Z solo album would sound weird, but if you find music as important as lyrics, then technically he wrote the most. He did the most.

Roy Z's music fits best with vocals. The man wrote grabbing chord schemes, riffing, melodies. All the stuff accessible metal music (with vocals) needs.
But if we compare Rob's and Bruce's solo stuff, there's simply NO comparison. So the conclusion is???? Bruce is the governing factor, not Roy. Otherwise Rob's albums would be as gold as Bruces, and they are not - same old JP's stuff with Roy's guitar and sound, and that's it.
And we know many guitar players - Page, Blackmore, etc. Who is Roy compared to them?

Of course a great singer makes music greater. But Roy Z wrote the most. However rude the man behaved, however much (and conveniently) people disqualify his work with other vocalists, this is something that should not be overlooked.

If only Bruce's input is seen as great, your music collection (and focus on this genre) must be incredibly small. Great isn't it? Small, that's what that is.
We got you. If you WANT and CHOOSE to think that it was Roy who made the whole thing, it's up to you.
But other people think differently.

On Rob Halford: There were other songwriters on the Halford albums as well. Roy might not have had the chance or the chemical interaction he had with Bruce.

By the way, Resurrection was a huge success.

Hey mate , take it a bit easier. You don't know me , we've never met so your judgment regarding my musical tastes has no value.
No disrespect here foy Roy as a guitarist , composer and producer, but the question remains the same : if he wrote the most of Bruce's solo stuff where's a great metal ( or not metal) album written by Roy on his own? He's not a singer ? So what? There is a plenty of great singers out there famous and not so famous waiting for an opportunity to sing great music.

I think the salient point here is how Bruce and Roy worked together so well and were able to create something special by the combination of their personalities. It's the band chemistry thing again - the total is greater than the sum of the parts. Same with the Beatles - not so much that individually they were more or less talented, just that they were good at different aspects, which came together in a special way when they worked together.

No disrespect here foy Roy as a guitarist , composer and producer, but the question remains the same : if he wrote the most of Bruce's solo stuff where's a great metal ( or not metal) album written by Roy on his own? He's not a singer ? So what? There is a plenty of great singers out there famous and not so famous waiting for an opportunity to sing great music.
I have addressed this already. You can't throw that aside with a simple so what.

And where is a great Bruce solo album written on his own?
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I have addressed this already. You can't throw that aside with a simple so what.

And where is a great Bruce's solo album written on his own?

You adressed nothing. Roy could form his own band , to hire a great singer and produce a fantastic album. You probably know that the main songwriter in many bands is not necessarily the band's singer , like you know Steve Harris .
Personally i don't inderstand your pov , but you're free to believe what you want.

I think the salient point here is how Bruce and Roy worked together so well and were able to create something special by the combination of their personalities. It's the band chemistry thing again - the total is greater than the sum of the parts. Same with the Beatles - not so much that individually they were more or less talented, just that they were good at different aspects, which came together in a special way when they worked together.

Yeah it's clear to me that the total is greater than the sum of the parts ,it's the main reason Iron Maiden is so great band. It's not what struck me on this forum. but the believe of some people that Bruce lacks the ability to write great music something that personally i find to be ridiculous . Some even sugest that Bruce stole the work of someone else , grabbed the money and ran away. Weird.

And where is a great Bruce solo album written on his own?
giphy.gif

You are great in manipulation , aren't you. For me it's clear that Bruce's albums were a successful collaboration between him and Roy , but t'm sure that Bruce was the main reason of their greatness and not Roy. Why do i think so ? Because Bruce wrote great things with others and on his own , on the other hand Roy did nothing great with others who are not Bruce, and nothing on his own.
Now you can post another very funny gif as a prove.

Bruce wrote great things with others? Naturally and generally we all find the stuff in Maiden great, but do you really think that outside Maiden he wrote as great stuff without as with Roy Z? There are a few, but the numbers of such occasions is small, don't you think?

Forostar, Bruce wrote Empire of the Clouds. On his own. Beat this please. What did Roy write on his own that will make history?

Back