Legacy of the Beast 2018 Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Maiden England tour had The Prisoner, ATSS, and SSOASS. If those aren’t deep cuts I don’t know what are.
Yeah valid point. But only 3 on a 15 song set list. All other tracks regularly played. If still life, killers and infinite dreams had been thrown in then wow! The whole ME thing was a joke as it didn't resemble at all the 88/89 tour set list.

But they are going to play the greatest hits...it's quite clearly a greatest hits tour.

At this point it’s either going to be the most boring setlist since the reunion or the most exciting. Can’t see it not going toward one of the two extremes.

Here are my general thoughts on setlists. Some bands I follow will do things like have a fairly set first 3 and last 3 songs and mix and match in the middle on any given tour. I would love it if Maiden did that .. but they just do not do that and that is not going to change. Other bands I follow (but rarely see anymore) play essentially the same setlist tour after tour .. year after year ... maybe swapping out 3 or 4 songs (at best) .. which is why I do not see them much any more

Take Maiden's last 3 visits to Dallas (TFF tour, ME, and TBOS) ... and for the non -big time fan who is not going to fly across the country, much less the world to see them ... and that is the majority if the fans who show up .. you get a good variety.

All 3 tours they played
Iron Maiden
Fear of the Dark
Number of the Beast

on 2 of the 3 they played
Blood Brothers (TFF and TBOS)
Running Free (ME and TFF)
Trooper (ME and TBOS)
Wasted Years (ME and TBOS)

Everything else once .. from tour to tour .. that is not bad IMO .. especially given the gap in between tours

Now, I have obviously seen them more than 3 times (ME one show each year, TBOS 1x the first leg, 3x the second, TFF only once) ... but again from tour to tour .. not horrible. I get the TFF setlist had different songs in Europe, but really the only TFF song played in the US (beyond 2 shows in Florida) was El Dorado .. still a little hacked about that.

What lesson? It's great to have changing setlists. They should learn how to drop the directed stageshow dependent show and rehearse 30 or more songs and make their set less predictable. Just work harder on the musical side.
The lesson of not inflicting the kind of pain on the audience again that they did in 2010 when they dropped Brighter Than A Thousand Suns after one gig and replaced it with Wrathchild.

Rotating songs in a setlist = great, I welcome that. Playing something relatively cool and rare and then just dropping it midway through = bad, no, don't. Imagine how maddening it would've been if they'd played Infinite Dreams on Maiden England for the first few shows and then dropped it after they decided they couldn't do it anymore.

Maiden typically play 16 songs on a tour (sometimes it's 15, sometime it's 17 depending on song length).

It it perfectly reasonable for a setlist to be constructed in the following 4 groups of four songs:
Four Standards (played at every show):
1. Iron Maiden
2. Number of the Beast
3. Fear of the Dark
4. The Trooper

Four 80s songs:
these four could rotate from tour to tour and include anything from the usual suspect such as 2 Mins, Evil That Men Do, Revelations, Phantom, Wrathchild, Sanctuary, Wasted Years to deeper cuts like The Prisoner, Die With Your Boots On, Children of the Damned, etc

Four 2000s songs:
see above. Since 2011, only Blood Brothers has been played from this era, let that settle in for a minute

Four songs that fit that tour's theme:
4 songs from the album being toured (and yes, only play 4, but alternate from night to night so as to include more if necessary)
4 90s songs
4 rarities
4 songs by Dave Murray
etc

The real live dead tour was the most interesting set list I can remember. Prowler, Remember Tomorrow, Transylvania, Where Eagles Dare. Thrown in with at least one track from all studio albums except Killers. Just a pity Bruce didn't show up!

Yeah valid point. But only 3 on a 15 song set list. All other tracks regularly played. If still life, killers and infinite dreams had been thrown in then wow! The whole ME thing was a joke as it didn't resemble at all the 88/89 tour set list.

They did not play live in 1989 and, just for the sake of accuracy, here is the setlist they played at Donington in 1988 (in bold I have highlighted the only songs that were not played live on any leg of the Maiden England 2012-2014 tour):

Moonchild
The Evil that Men Do
The Prisoner
Wrathchild
Infinite Dreams
The Trooper
Can I Play with Madness
Heaven Can Wait
Wasted Years
The Clairvoyant
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed be Thy Name
Iron Maiden
------------------------------------
Run to the Hills
22 Acacia Avenue
2 Minutes to Midnight
Running Free
Sanctuary

There you have it: the Maiden England 2012-2014 setlist was a pretty accurate representation of the 1988 setlist. :lol:

Truth to be told, they could have brought back from the retirement the somewhat rarer songs that were played during the Autumn-Winter UK tour in 1988 (Still Life, Die With Your Boots On, Killers), but the setlist for that leg was a rarity for that tour, not the norm. ;)

Wrathchild is a damn near perfect song in 3 minutes. Would much rather they spend 3 minutes playing that than Bruce ranting.

Truth to be told, they could have brought back from the retirement the somewhat rarer songs that were played during the Autumn-Winter UK tour in 1988 (Still Life, Die With Your Boots On, Killers), but the setlist for that leg was a rarity for that tour, not the norm. ;)

Aye but those 3 songs were on the original Maiden England, after which the Maiden England tour was named.
Add those to the ones that you highlighted and you have 6 songs from Maiden England which weren't played on the Maiden England history tour. Thats a sizeable deviation in my book.
Thats wouldn't bother me so much if the songs they left out were standards but they were far from it. Im not really one to complain too much about setlists and with LOTB Il be delighted regardless but ME was a cop out. There may be totally valid reasons for leaving out any or all of those songs mentioned above but the fact remains that they weren't entirely faithfull to ME and that is disappointing. They should of called the tour something else.

Edit. May I add that I did not see the tour, sadly. And I still think its a good set but could have been much better.

Aye but those 3 songs were on the original Maiden England, after which the Maiden England tour was named.
Add those to the ones that you highlighted and you have 6 songs from Maiden England which weren't played on the Maiden England history tour. Thats a sizeable deviation in my book.

It is, but if you go back to the original press release for the Maiden England tour in 2012, they mentioned that the setlist would be 2/3 based on the Maiden England video and, guess what, that is what they did.

It is, but if you go back to the original press release for the Maiden England tour in 2012, they mentioned that the setlist would be 2/3 based on the Maiden England video and, guess what, that is what they did.

Yeah .. they were up front that it was going to have some variation ... I think that is pretty fair (the fact that they let people know up front) .. same with TBOS .. they said they would play a decent chunk of the album and they did

Well then, aye, that is fair enough. Didnt know that.
Still, they could of dispensed with any of 2 Mins, Aces High, FOTD, Strangers, Phantom.
All great songs and welcome additions to most sets but I, personally would have preferred any of the 3 ME omissions over any of these for that particular tour. Mainly because Killers was passed on the Early Days tour and ME was the only logical time to do Infinite Dreams.

I will really never argue against Phantom, so cool live. FOTD is the one I really wish they would have dropped ... but all in all, it was a really fun show. Seeing SSOASS (the song) live was pretty much worth the price of admission.

Edit: I am fine with no HCW .. was not a big fan of it live on SiT or SSOASS tours to start with ... I am hoping that is on the permanent retirement list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back