Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

What do you want to do? Play hockey? Ski? Skate? Do you want to build a building? Do you want to service an airplane? I mean, it hits -30 regularly in Ottawa in January and February, and our city of 1.2 million people still functions.

You know you'd require more tools and gear to get a building built over a snowy cold weather, you require more gear to skate than you'd "normally" require. Which is my point - people can play a game of cards in universe these days so that's all based on technology. Ottawa probably has deck heating on the streets like northern European capitals, which is required for people to enjoy sitting on the promenades all year long.

It's basic physics. The heat in hot parts of the world will not boil your intestines, while the freeze in cold parts of the world will kill you by draining your energy away if you can't conserve it via technology. Thus it's easier to live in heat and you require a lot more stuff, more technology, to be able to live a normal life up there in snowy Canada. Personal preferences aside.

I tolerate both extremes. I get annoyed by sweating in heat and by "excessive" amount of garments in the cold. But that's about it. I also love going through Google Earth/Panoramio exploring arctic vastness of Canada, Russia, islands, Antartica, there's something magentic about those surroundings. I'd love to spent a few weeks living the polar life somewhere.

Depends on the wind. Strong wind and sub-zero temperature and you're fucked.

No, not really. I experience that regularly in winters here. My hands and ears get cold and suffer easily, but the rest of my body is fine as long as I have the clothing.

Use these.

small__beanie_hats.jpg

Yes, really. Your ears and fingers would die off in 10 minutes if you found yourself unprotected; not depending boolean wise, wind or not, but on the type. High pressure on top of frozen hills and you'll get high speed gusts of lower tempereature by 10 to 20 degrees blowing right down at the ground level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katabatic_wind

Correct me if wrong, but there's no cold mountainous Turkish region that's directly connected to sea or near sea level. (There could be near the south-eastern Black sea coast tho). We have a very small area that gets affected, where apex of the big mountain chain that's a part of the Alpine system connects to warm northern Adriatic in just a dozen of miles. The wind that slopes down the Velebit mountain charging that part of the coast in winter will freeze and then crush lampposts, park benches, and other stuff like that. Now imagine something like this in subarctic countries.

So if you ever experience this, in a cold country, I hope you'll have a full polar explorer outfit on yourself.

I wouldn't know, we don't get hurricane level winds here. I would like to experience that once but generally I don't like wind.

I would rather take my chances with -30 C in Canada than 45 C in Serbia. There's no cold I can't tolerate unless I'm stuck in one spot for a longer period of time.

The bottom line is that both extremes suck. I would enjoy 20 degrees all year round but that would make me appreciate summer less.

Back