Iron Maiden songs – a rough overview of their “live history”

Ah, it wasn't quite perfect though. I'd like to make one substitution: drop Sun And Steel, and in its place: The Thin Line.

(The end of Thin Line would flow nicely live into Isle.)

Invaders
Rainmaker
Judas Be My Guide
Out of the Silent Planet
Where Eagles Dare
From Here to Eternity
Murders in the Rue Morgue
Loneliness
Starblind
The Duellists
Educated Fool
Still Life
Sea of Madness
Deja Vu
Purgatory
Angel and the Gambler (as the singalong:p)
Alexander

EDIt: I did seldom-played, not never-played.

Corrected info on Sea of Madness: it was only played in 1986 (Europe), not played at all in 1987 (North America & Japan).

More info please, can't see it on that page. Not that this page alone would prove much (setlist.fm is not that reliable, especially not older concerts) but I am still curious where you see that exactly.

edit: Wait, you mean this?

Well, that info is probably taken from the Iron Maiden Commentary or another (I assume) wrong source. Initially took that info as well, but today I found out it is false (a crappy copy paste job?). The back covers from these gigs do not list Sea of Madness and ead666.com says this:
http://www.ead666.com/Temp/Out/1986-87/1987-01-07 Hampton.html
and:
http://www.ead666.com/Temp/Out/1986-87/1987-01-08 Landover.html

Last edited:
So, now that this year's tour is over and we know that no TFF songs have been played since the TFF tour ended, which ones do we find more likely to appear later? Will

I think WTWWB is out of the discussion. When Maiden play long songs it is usually from the new album. The exceptions exist, but they are few (Sign of the Cross, Seventh Son, Rime have all been played after their album tour, but not frequently). Talisman? Too tough for Bruce perhaps. Coming Home and El Dorado are my guesses.

And what about the Book of Souls songs? Will the monkey dance again? Will Eddie's heart once again be sacrificed to the Mayan gods?

So given the talk about Back In the Village supposedly being played, what do you guys think the odds are of other songs that were played live that we aren't aware of? This thought was also prompted by the fact that Loneliness Of the Long Distance Runner was played once (possibly twice) and if we weren't lucky enough to have a bootleg of it, we probably wouldn't even know that it was played at all.

I'm thinking it's possible that more songs were played from Fear Of the Dark in particular. According to the commentary, there are no recordings of the first two gigs. Is it possible that 1 or 2 songs were played at these gigs and subsequently dropped by the time they started the US tour? They also often played shorter sets in the US, so maybe they had more Fear songs but decided not to add them by the time they got to Europe. I always thought it was odd that only 5 songs from Fear were played. They did 6 songs from Seventh Son and 7(!) from No Prayer For the Dying. Fear Of the Dark had the most songs of any Maiden album and it was a #1 album in the UK. You would think that they'd play more from it.

Did we ever find direct evidence that Back in the Village was played live? I'm too lazy to go all the way back. There are obviously no bootlegs of it so I'm unconvinced.

Never played:

Fear of the Dark:
15. Fear is the Key
16. Childhood's End
17. The Fugitive
18. Chains of Misery
19. The Apparition
20. Judas Be My Guide
21. Weekend Warrior
I'm thinking it's possible that more songs were played from Fear Of the Dark in particular. According to the commentary, there are no recordings of the first two gigs. Is it possible that 1 or 2 songs were played at these gigs and subsequently dropped by the time they started the US tour? They also often played shorter sets in the US, so maybe they had more Fear songs but decided not to add them by the time they got to Europe. I always thought it was odd that only 5 songs from Fear were played. They did 6 songs from Seventh Son and 7(!) from No Prayer For the Dying. Fear Of the Dark had the most songs of any Maiden album and it was a #1 album in the UK. You would think that they'd play more from it.
:yes:

Back