1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iron Maiden songs – a rough overview of their “live history”

Discussion in 'Commentary Discussion' started by Forostar, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

Great, thanks for your help! :ok:

2. srfc

srfc Educated Fool

Here's an old school thread about the different versions of Drifter on the original UK 7 inch of sanctuary

http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/drifter-live-one-and-sanctuary-b-side.11190/#post-125876

there was an upload on youtube of it, I'll see if I can find both versions and post them.

EDIT:
    here's the familiar version

and here's the version from the original 7 inch

Judging from the guitar solo starting around 1.55 in the first version and around 2:44 in the second, they are both edits of the same source recording as the solos are identical

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Magnus and Perun like this.
  3. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

It is not official live, the footage is owned by Lick Library. It's the same situation with Abbey Road performance.

4. srfc

srfc Educated Fool

It was sold from the Maiden website as an official download single.

5. srfc

srfc Educated Fool

RE: edited versions, not sure if it's entirely relevant as ultimately the source recording is the same, but there's also an edited version of Running Free that was on the original 1 disc CD version of Live after Death, that has the singalong section edited out.

6. Perun

Okay, I'll leave it as it is, then, because the edits may be different, but the recording is the same.

srfc likes this.
  7. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

Correct. :)

8. GhostofCain

IIRC, Bruce says "Good evening Aalborg" during the fade. That is where I got that the recording is from Aalborg. ;)

9. GhostofCain

It did not strike me as a previously unreleased version back in day, as I remember it sounding exactly like the Live After Death recording. I have not listened to the Best of the Beast 4LP box set for ages though.

10. Magnus

Magnus Ancient Mariner

Thanks a lot, srfc, didn't know that.

srfc likes this.
  11. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

@srfc correct, my mind was on the videos when I replied.

12. srfc

srfc Educated Fool

Wasted Years from Germany TV is definitely questionable too LOL !

13. Perun

I know, I just put it in there to see how closely people pay attention. :p

14. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

I see you're busy at work.

Perun likes this.
  15. srfc

srfc Educated Fool

You're missing Die with your boots on from Maiden England

Perun likes this.
  16. srfc

srfc Educated Fool

-Is the version of Sanctuary on the Running Free single identical to Live After Death VHS?

No (verified against the DVD though). Didn't check through the whole tracks but he definitely sings "but i know how it feels" more elaborate and high pitched on the Running Free 12 inch. Sleeve notes says recorded at Long Beach March 1985

-What recording of Iron Maiden is on Ed Hunter?

Live after Death version audio not video

-When was Murders in the Rue Morgue on the Running Free single recorded?

It says Hammersmith on the record. There is a bootleg called "Ipswich Murders", but I checked this and it is not the same as the Running Free single.

-What dates are the individual recordings of the Clive Burr MS Trust Fund gigs (Brixton Academy)?

It doesn't have dates listed on the cds that I can see

-Is NOTB from Aces High single really Dortmund 1983?

Yes, he says "i'll make Dortmund burn"

-Accurate information on recordings of HBTN and FOTD singles required

FOTD live is the version on a real live one, not sure what info you need from HBTN, the a-side is Moscow, Trooper is Helsinki, Wasted Years bremen 16th April 1993, wrathchild is helsinki again

-Where was Afraid to Shoot Strangers with Blaze recorded? Are the versions on BOTB, AATG and VOTB identical?

The multimedia section of AATG won't play on my PC anymore, software too old I presume, but my memory is it was the same video from VOTB,
    The audio of the video on VOTB is the same as BOTB.
    BOTB lp says 1st nov 1995 Goteborg for the audio, video footage is november 1995 on X factour according to visions of the beast

-When and where was the live version of Wrathchild on First Ten Years/From There to Eternity/VOTB recorded?

all are Live at the Rainbow, same audio

-Is Running Free on The First Ten Years and From There to Eternity live? Identical to Live After Death VHS?

yes same audio

Revelations on Best of the Beast LP is Live after Death version, from the audio version, i.e. starts with "nice to see you, to see you, nice"

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    Perun and Magnus like this.
  17. srfc

srfc Educated Fool

Re: santuary, notice that in the break section before "give me sanctuary" it's a bit different too, he says "hello" on the video version

here's sanctuary from the single

here's from the video

18. srfc

srfc Educated Fool

here's the cover detail for the digital download of Different World

19. srfc

srfc Educated Fool

also found this bad boy on my hard drive while looking for the different world details

Attached Files:

20. Perun

Thanks, mate! That's a lot of beers I owe you... I'll add this information later when I get the time.