Best Eddie

Done. Pretty standard stuff from me, I reckon; big scores for LAD & 7th Son and low scores for all TFF related and digital stuff. Decent score for TXF, though

Somewhere in Time, Seventh Son, Brave New World and Powerslave are amazing album covers... SIT Eddie is #1 for me. I still have the sweatshirt from the 1986 tour with him standing over the fire rocks.....

I think he still gave a shit in 1988. Look at the awesome Seventh Son cover, the 3 initial singles Can I Play with Madness, The Evil That Men Do and The Clairvoyant were all awesome and the tour books (all three of them) featured great artwork.
Those are cool, but they were rushed (Riggs has said as much). I think it's Evil That Men Do that was basically unfinished. Just sketches of Eddie's head and no backgrounds or details. He definitely wasn't putting in the same effort as on the previous album and singles.

Those are cool, but they were rushed (Riggs has said as much). I think it's Evil That Men Do that was basically unfinished. Just sketches of Eddie's head and no backgrounds or details. He definitely wasn't putting in the same effort as on the previous album and singles.

I could have sworn I read somewhere he got tired of drawing a "full eddie" which is why Seventh Son looked only half complete in body..

Yea that was on his website. It looks like those blurbs disappeared, which is too bad because they were interesting and the images were really high quality.

Yes, Riggs' artwork descriptions on his website were very insightful. "They didn't pay me for this." :p

Oh shit, I've actually found a way to go back and read his grumpy comments. It's on the web archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20110429103332/http://www.derekriggs.com/ When you open an artwork, the comment displays as the page title (in my case it's on the browser tab). Pictures don't work but you can trace it by the file name, they are the same on the current page.

Really? Tell me more...
It was about one of the Bruce's artwork. "Bruce didn't want to pay me for this." This one: http://derek.server311.com/derekriggs.com/assets/brazldik.jpg Another comment on the Accident of Birth mascot: "It was a crap eddie rip off, invented by Bruce. Doomed not to work." :D

Good points, but still.
Look at the prophet Eddie with the crystal ball on the Seventh Son innersleeve. That is detailed and a beautiful piece. Neither rushed nor uncared for.

Maybe for the singles he rushed it, but he was still doing great work.

From that site:

Riggs on Seventh Son:
I wanted to get rid of Eddie because I was getting a bit sick of painting him. Also I was thinking about quitting from maiden because they were getting increasingly difficult to work with. I couldn't really just quit because I was in this long contract. So I cut Eddie up into bits so I would have less to paint. I was curious to see what we would do with him the next year with so little of him left, but they chickened out and "began again" with Eddie whole. It was an album about prophesy so it had to be disjointed and wierd looking so I went a bit surreal with it. There is no meaning in the picture that is intended, what I did was to use lots of biblical looking imagery and things that you could read meaning into so that it looks like it could mean something deep. But like all real prophesy it's really just meaningful looking nonsense. That's quite deep on it's own really isn't it? Oooh, I love pretentious bullshit, it's so meaningful and deep.

Yea he's an odd and obviously bitter character, but there are some tidbits of info hidden in there.

Good points, but still.
Look at the prophet Eddie with the crystal ball on the Seventh Son innersleeve. That is detailed and a beautiful piece. Neither rushed nor uncared for.

Maybe for the singles he rushed it, but he was still doing great work.
Yea I love the artwork around the Seventh Son period, so I'm definitely not arguing against that.

Yea I love the artwork around the Seventh Son period, so I'm definitely not arguing against that.

I have an Alexander the Great Eddie shirt from Somewhere on Tour.... not sure if he did it but if he was doing the shirts back then too, it's his. Also love my Christmas time SIT Eddie shirt with mechanical Rudolf shirt... pretty dope Eddie designs back then

I have the Live After Death tattooed on my shoulder and SIT on my forearm... both still need coloring and more shading

When I was a merchandiser for The Home Depot, I drew the first Eddie on my merchandise board that sat on my cart.

maxresdefault.jpg

When I was smaller I was inclined to the more cartoonish versions of Eddie. When I grew up my favorite where the ones from The X Factor era. Totally changed the band's image...

Incredibly tempted to toss this whole project.
We've put all our faith in you! How can you do this to us?! :p

Seriously though, I for one am interested in seeing how it turns out, but you did put a shitload of effort into the song rankings. I for one would have been exhausted after that, factoring real-life in as well. I'd suggest you put this aside for a while and come back to it later when you're good and ready.

...unless one of your favorite albums got really low rankings or The X Factor got really high rankings and now you're pissed off because of it, in which case god help us all. :confused:

Back